Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,068

0 members and 2,068 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dieting

Thanks

Dieting

Sup everyone, I am pretty new to these forums but as soon as I saw the MMA section here I just had to pop some questions. MMA is a great passion of mine, I do not take any classes (yet) but I have been following MMA for about 4 years now. I am 19 years old and recently being out of school has put into a bit of a lul as far as health goes.

I have always been the average weight, tall kid. I'm currently at about 175 lbs 6,2. Definately NO 6-pack showing! My question to anyone that wants to help me get back on track, what should I eat?

I have been wanting to get into good shape since the day I realized I wasn't fit anymore. I am by no means fat or overweight but I want to get ripped. My body is strong but my muscles are not cut, if that makes any sense.

So I am looking for someone to tell me what to eat, literally. I need a plan for what to eat pretty much everyday. If someone can tell me what will help lose the fat and build muscle I will stick to it religiously. Also if anyone has a good workout routine that would be good too. I have some freeweights here at home (not much weight, maybe 150 lbs at most) and a treadmill and stationary bike.

I know that I just wrote a damn novel and am asking for alot but if anyone has any advice let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Re: Dieting

First off, welcome to BP.net

First thing you should do is check with your doctor and make sure you are good to go to start a work out routine. How many days a week are you looking to work out? I take it you are lifting at home? Do you have a work out partner? What equipment do you have at home to use other then 150 lbs. of weights: ie, a weight bench, a staright bar, dumbells: do you have pre-made ones or ones you can put plates on and make your self, a lat machine, ez curl bar etc.

And as far as diet goes, I personally used a weight watchers point counter and just watched what I ate and cut back how much I ate when I was dieting. I drank water 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I drank a little bit of milk but sparringly (it was a lot of points). I would make sure I did not eat close to bed time so I did not have any food sitting on my stomach over night. I would also always drink 1-2 protein drinks a day (dieting or not). Make sure you get at least 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. If I wanted to drop weight faster I would up my cardio and/or eat the low end of my alloted points for the day. A few years ago when I was doing this diet I dropped from 260lbs. to 198 lbs over time. My wife would be the first to tell anyone though that when i set my mind to something my will power, dedication and determintion is second to none. I did this diet because I was tired of fighting the big dudes in class and I was thinking about competing and did not want to compete at heavy weight. I ended up still having to fight the big dudes in class even at that weight and I had a scheduling confict with my new job and my mma class so I had to stop going. So I bulked back up because I really didn't like being that size. You might want to check this thread out too: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=44847 Hopefully some more people will chip in about thier diets, tips and secrets!!!

Anyways, what ever you decide just be patient, safe, smart and stick with it!!! Keep us updated on your progress
    Jeff Bernard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

Flatheadhunter33 (04-03-2010)

Thanks

Op...check out www.t-nation.com
    Dylan -- Reese Reptiles

Thanks

Ok well thanks for all the info so far guys, most of it has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by boanerges
    First thing you should do is check with your doctor and make sure you are good to go to start a work out routine. How many days a week are you looking to work out? I take it you are lifting at home? Do you have a work out partner? What equipment do you have at home to use other then 150 lbs. of weights: ie, a weight bench, a staright bar, dumbells: do you have pre-made ones or ones you can put plates on and make your self, a lat machine, ez curl bar etc.
    I have been pretty healthy my entire life, and I'm sure the doctor would say the same. I'm looking to workout maybe 4-5 days a week, with weights and equipment that is. I will probably start running everyday. Yes for now I would just be lifting at home, my gym membership expired and I don't have the funds to renew it right now (maybe in the near future). A workout partner....well, I do have a buddy that is as adamant about getting into MMA as me but like I said with the funds, he is in the same boat. As far as equipment at home, I have one long bar (very old, only weighs about 40 lbs I think if that) and one short curl bar. Weights - I only have about 80 lbs of weights that I know of, all of this is very old but it's just free weights so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I do not have a bench, I have just been checking out quick workout routine videos on the internet that you can do without a bench. And other than that all I have is a treadmill and stationary bike. Pretty much I'm trying to get into shape with welfare equipment here haha, I am only 19 though and going to school so getting new stuff is gonna be slow. And also the weights/bar I have are not pre-made I can take weight off and put it on as I want.

As far as the dieting goes, I checked out that site drees. It looks pretty legit for a dieting program but I was looking for someone just to tell me a good meal plan week by week maybe other than having to buy it. Also I do plan on getting some supplements so I will look into that.

0.1 Normal (Bella)
    1.0 Pastel (Kush)
    1.1 Dobe's (Ceasar, Kira)
    1.0 Oscar Fish (Alvey)
    1.0 Jack Dempsey (Cochise)

Thanks

Op, I see what you're saying, but if you start posting the the forums over there, there's a ton of help available. Especially in the beginners section. They're probably going to be able to help you more than anybody.

A few things I can tell you,

Don't be afraid of fats
    Get at least 1 g of protein per pound of body weight
    To get big you have to eat big
    Dylan -- Reese Reptiles

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dreese88 For This Useful Post:

DannN (03-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreese88 View Post
    Op, I see what you're saying, but if you start posting the the forums over there, there's a ton of help available. Especially in the beginners section. They're probably going to be able to help you more than anybody.

A few things I can tell you,

Don't be afraid of fats
    Get at least 1 g of protein per pound of body weight
    To get big you have to eat big
    I see what you are saying man, thanks alot for the info and the link! I plan on starting my dieting very soon, I may wait till the beginning of the month so I can be pinpoint accurate on it (I'm kind of OCD about things when I start doing them, I want it to go perfect). But yeah I will definitely start posting on that site, thanks!

0.1 Normal (Bella)
    1.0 Pastel (Kush)
    1.1 Dobe's (Ceasar, Kira)
    1.0 Oscar Fish (Alvey)
    1.0 Jack Dempsey (Cochise)

Registered User Flatheadhunter33's Avatar
    Thanks

If you guys dont mind, I'll throw in my 2 cents...one of the guys in my BJJ class is a personal trainer and nutrition store owner. I asked him pretty much the same question one night and he told me to simply watch my carb intake...what I try to do is cut down my carbs after lunch time...for dinner I try to go with protien mostly... just meat. It gets hard to do sometimes but the thing is, I found that I dont have to limit carbs all the time. Just let the body get a little depleted (I stopped eating carbs for a full week)...not the easiest thing to do!! But once that week was over, I moderated all intake. In recent months, I have gotten down from 186 to 164. I did it slowly...and I even ate cookies and cake every once in while and I still love beer!!! I know that very few guys want to get that low in weight but I want to compete at the lighter weight because I got tired of big guys laying on me and smothering me!! I even once had a guy in class tap me out from laying his belly and chest on my face...disgusting!! Last time Iever tried to pull guard with that dude!!

Anyhow, stopping the carbs the first week seemed to kick my metabolism into gear...even when I miss a work out, I still lose a bit of weight because I also watch my calories as well. I hope this helps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadhunter33 View Post
    If you guys dont mind, I'll throw in my 2 cents...one of the guys in my BJJ class is a personal trainer and nutrition store owner. I asked him pretty much the same question one night and he told me to simply watch my carb intake...what I try to do is cut down my carbs after lunch time...for dinner I try to go with protien mostly... just meat. It gets hard to do sometimes but the thing is, I found that I dont have to limit carbs all the time. Just let the body get a little depleted (I stopped eating carbs for a full week)...not the easiest thing to do!! But once that week was over, I moderated all intake. In recent months, I have gotten down from 186 to 164. I did it slowly...and I even ate cookies and cake every once in while and I still love beer!!! I know that very few guys want to get that low in weight but I want to compete at the lighter weight because I got tired of big guys laying on me and smothering me!! I even once had a guy in class tap me out from laying his belly and chest on my face...disgusting!! Last time Iever tried to pull guard with that dude!!

Anyhow, stopping the carbs the first week seemed to kick my metabolism into gear...even when I miss a work out, I still lose a bit of weight because I also watch my calories as well. I hope this helps!
    Great advice, interesting mma story - lol and always feel free to post your 2 cents in any thread here
    Jeff Bernard

Registered User Flatheadhunter33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    Great advice, interesting mma story - lol and always feel free to post your 2 cents in any thread here
    Thanks. Been training BJJ for a few years now off and on. Kind of hard to stay consistant with my deployment schedule. I tried my hand at MMA and and found out really quick that I dont like gettin punched in the mouth!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flatheadhunter33 View Post
    thanks. Been training bjj for a few years now off and on. Kind of hard to stay consistant with my deployment schedule. i tried my hand at mma and and found out really quick that i dont like gettin punched in the mouth!:d
    lol :d
    Jeff Bernard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast