Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

2 members and 3,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: If the postal service openly shipped snakes, would it be profitable, or detrimental?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Profitable for the USPS but detrimental for the herp community.

10 24.39%
  • Profitable for the herp community but detrimental for the USPS.

2 4.88%
  • Profitable for both.

21 51.22%
  • Detrimental for both.

8 19.51%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Postal Service Snake Shipping Poll

As a mailman/ball python breeder, the question has come to me many times, "Why doesn't the postal service ship snakes?" The best answer I could come up with is that Benjamin Franklin, the first Post Master General, decided not to allow snake shipping. In my opinion, that’s not a great answer. Interestingly enough, I cannot find any regulations, other than posters at the post office, that state "no snakes" or "no reptiles". I will be attempting to use the postal service for snake shipments in the future, because, like ups and fed ex, it seem that it is up to the discretion of the local Post Master/Manager.

My question is: Would it be detrimental or profitable for the postal service or the herp community if the postal service OPENLY shipped reptiles?

Here are two sides of that coin:

Given the current controversy of shipping snakes state to state (I know it shouldn't even be a controversy), openly announcing that the postal service would ship these animals may cause an up rise and an awareness of the controversy itself, and may make people who are (for no reason) afraid of snakes or snake haters come out against, both the postal service, and the herp community, in turn, pushing legislation through that bands inter-state travel of certain snakes and also driving the postal service's bottom line even farther in debt.

or

Would it be a great move for the postal service, tapping into a multi-billion dollar industry. Given that the postal service provides the least expensive shipping on anything. That, coupled with more competition with UPS and Fed Ex, would drive down the cost of shipping snakes, which would make more people willing to purchase snakes, driving the herp community's profits up, and allowing more people to get into the herp trade.

I don't think it would be helpful for one and not the other, or hurtful for one and not the other, but there are four poll options any way, just to see what your opinions are.
    Last edited by ballbreeder; 03-16-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks

Re: Postal Service Snake Shipping Poll

The Cake is a Lie
    John Cordone
    Blue Water Reptiles
    I'm a BOI Good Guy!

Thanks

That's UPS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

First of all, if you choose to ship through the USPS, it is a violation of the Lacey act, and you would be guilty of a felony on a Federal level.

Secondly, we do not allow discussions about intent to commit an illegal activity, which you have just done by stating that you plan to ship snakes illegally.

Rest assured, that you've probably just been added to a lot of members "do not buy from" list by stating that you intend to fraudulently and illegally ship snakes through the USPS - especially since the person RECEIVING the snakes would also be guilty of a felony.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-16-2010),joepythons (03-16-2010),WingedWolfPsion (03-17-2010)

Thanks

DOH! Don't I feel like an idiot...wrong addy, apologies

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1103548

Paragraph 8.5b

8.5 Harmful Matter—General
    Except as provided in this document, any article, composition, or material is nonmailable if it can kill or injure another or injure the mail or other property. Harmful matter includes, but is not limited to:

a. All types and classes of poisons, including controlled substances.

b. All poisonous animals except scorpions mailed for medical research purposes or for the manufacture of antivenom; all poisonous insects; all poisonous reptiles; and all types of snakes, turtles, and spiders.

c. All disease germs or scabs.

d. All explosives, flammable material, infernal machines, and mechanical, chemical, or other devices or compositions that may ignite or explode.
    The Cake is a Lie
    John Cordone
    Blue Water Reptiles
    I'm a BOI Good Guy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FragginDragon For This Useful Post:

ballbreeder (03-16-2010)

Thanks

I intended to discuss this with my Post Master, which is written above. And, I'd like to know more about the Lacy Act.

Thanks

"The Lacey Act provides that it is unlawful for any person to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase any fish or wildlife or plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law, treaty, or regulation of the United States or in violation of any Indian tribal law whether in interstate or foreign commerce. Violation of this federal act can result in civil penalties up to $10,000 per each violation or maximum criminal sanctions of $20,000 in fines and/or up to five years imprisonment. All plants or animals taken in violation of the Act are subject to forfeiture as well as all vessels, vehicles, aircraft, and other equipment used to aid in the importing, exporting, transporting, selling, receiving, acquiring, or purchasing of fish or wildlife or plants in a criminal violation of this chapter for which a felony conviction is obtained where the owner should have known of the illegal transgression."

Not quite clear on how this pertains to my discussion, and I had no intent of any illegal activity. I apologize if it was taken that way. I am, however, interested in input pertaining to my question.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

No offense to you but even if it was legal I would have to say thanks but no thanks, usps is horrible (at least here here ), they can't even deliver letters properly (I get my mail in my neighbor's mailbox and I get other people's mail because they have the same street number not the right street though ) , thay drop packages on your step from waist high when it says fragile, they would rather put a notice in your box than get out of their car to see if your home when you have a package etc.

Interestingly enough I lived in several countries and postal services all have one thing in common they how horrendous.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballbreeder (03-16-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Not intending to insult your place of work, but FedEx is far superior in reliability and tracking, both of which are essential to shipping live reptiles, ESPECIALLY live reptiles that are possibly worth thousands of dollars.

You pay for quality.

I think that the USPS has its niche filled quite well, and it doesn't need to expand beyond its capability.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

ballbreeder (03-16-2010)

Thanks

No offense taken by anyone. Love the input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast