Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,024

3 members and 2,021 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Lab Diet 5012 vs Mazuri 6F

sadly I gone though dogfood/cat food combo ( wit hseeds mix added0 to the hog feed with seeds added , and not just mainly the Mazuri food( little mix of th hog and seed left in the container) since I started t ouse the Mazuri I had better and faster growing rodents.and no more bald asf as the grew. now if they just go crazy producing I could feed of the elder rodents wit all their growths on them and keep the young. I also will have tod osoemthing withall these large rats once i rehome the boa in a month .( buddy going to take her when hemoves to the new place)

I needot get anthoer large bag of the Mazuri soon I don't want to run out . I also thinknig of taknigthe crumb pieces and dust put into a mold ans place fome bacon/burger fat into it and make suet that way to fatting them up and still gtthe Mazuri food into them.(I cansee the greasey fat smeared marks onthe tanks now..
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Registered User UltimatePythons's Avatar
    Thanks

I feed my ASF's Mazuri 6F. I breed them to feed my 30+ ball pythons and my only purpose for breeding them is for my snakes. So when it comes down to it I want my ASF's to eat the best out there so that my snakes also eat the best. What you feed your rats is totally up to you and I am not saying that there aren't several different brands of lab blocks out there that will work, but when you are at the feed store thinking about what kind of food to buy for your rats STOP and think about what kind of food you want to buy for your snakes.

Thanks

I don't think anyone is suggesting people should feed their snakes sickly rats.

if the rats are healthy and not malnourished, then why not use an alternative that's less expensive?

the only good reason I've seen so far for paying more is the one about higher protein producing more stinky turds from the rats. but that's not affecting the snakes, just that you'll have to put up with the extra smell. personally , that makes a big difference to me, as I would like to keep the smell as low as possible.

I'll see how much of a difference the new food is going to make with my feeders smell before I decide if I'm going to buy the same stuff again over the Mazuri.
    Last edited by pliskin; 03-24-2010 at 02:49 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

I pay $11.99 for Kent 23% 50lbs Bags. I go through 4 bags a month with 500+ production in mice and rats.

Registered User UltimatePythons's Avatar
    Thanks

I wasn't suggesting that feeding them something other than lab block would make them sickly. I have used Mazuri in the past and it works great. My mice stay healthy so in turn my snakes eat healthy. If hog feed can give the same results then that is awesome, and everyone should go to it that feels comfortable doing so. I am just old school and it's hard to teach old dog's new tricks. So I will stick with what work's for me. I think my main concern would be the smell, and any extra fat content that the rat's might have. I am very picky when it comes to what I feed my snakes. Anyway I am getting off on to another topic. I was just stating my opinion. There is probably nothing wrong with feeding them hog feed. I wish you all the luck.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123