Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

1 members and 3,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My Plastic Tub Setup for my Ball Python

I know this is an older post but I am really considering this type of setup. My question is...for the Air temp to be 80-85..... is the UTH giving off enough energy in the closed Tub to bring the air temp inside up to those levels? OR are you also keeping the tubs in rooms at the 80-85 temp range.

My home is usually 75degrees year round. I really dont think my family would like it if i made a room in the house 80-85 degrees in the summer lol.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yeti2k3 For This Useful Post:

Balls Out Morphs (01-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SGB_74 View Post
    well i was under the impression is was a requirement to have two hides, that is unless you housed your snakes in an enclosed rack which has the back and both sides enclosed therefore providing the extra security then you wouldn't need two hides.

but if you're not housing your snakes in a rack and using a plastic tub you're telling me its still not a requirement to use two hides? if this is so then why do users stress the fact so much to use a hide on the warm and cool sides?
    I agree with using 2 hides in a stand alone tub. I don't think 2 are needed for a rack set-up because the rack itself provides the darkness.

One thing I would suggest is mounting the Acu-Rite to the side of the tub. You can use a couple of strips of velcro and stick it there or use a small bolt or screw with a couple of washers and nuts to hang it on. This will keep it out of the way and keep it from being knocked over, pooped and peed on.

"Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeti2k3 View Post
    I know this is an older post but I am really considering this type of setup. My question is...for the Air temp to be 80-85..... is the UTH giving off enough energy in the closed Tub to bring the air temp inside up to those levels? OR are you also keeping the tubs in rooms at the 80-85 temp range.

My home is usually 75degrees year round. I really dont think my family would like it if i made a room in the house 80-85 degrees in the summer lol.

Thanks
    I have this type of setup and I am finding that the UTH on the bottom of the tub is not enough to reaise ambient more than a degree above room temperature if that. I had to put a space heater in my snake room to keep the ambient near 80.

Thanks

I have been baby sitting a couple of bps, and think I have actually inherited them. Why else would the "owner" keep saying things like she's so beautiful you are never going to want to let this snake go, you can trade one of the females for a male, etc. I am going to use a tub set up. I just need to figure out the thermostat problem, where to buy them cheap since I will need several. Also which to use uth, heat tape, a heating pad, or a reptile pad.
    Ack I'm excited but overwhelmed.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgakor View Post
    I didn't know you were supposed to put the probe from the thermostat underneath the heat mat? I put mine inside the cage in the same spot you have your thermometer proble.
    Probes from thermostats NEVER go inside the cage,tank,enclosure, or tub.
    If the snake moves the probe your temps will sky rocket...BAD NEWS

I've been doing tubs on shelfs for 2+ years now and I would never tape the uth to a tub, nothing like making it hard on yourself.
    Tubs just need to sit on the uth on a shelf, no need to tape it to the tub at all?
    Also never use those tubs, snakes can sneak right out of the sides of those cheap tubs.
    Locking tubs is the only way to go with tubs IMO
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 07-23-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

While it's usually recommended to make your own thread, I'll offer advice here.

The cheapest recommendable thermostat is this. Why will you need several?

I'll always recommend Flexwatt for any situation. In my experience, a stick-on heat pad from the petstore and online that is about 8"x6" or so is about $24. I ditched them and bought three feet of the widest Flexwatt there is, plus the wiring clips, plust shipping and it cost a little less. I bought from Reptilebasics.com, and they will put the clips on for free. 36"x11" or 8"x6"?

A long strip of Flexwatt can be run on a single thermostat. So, if you're planning on heating a lot of tubs, it would be the way to go.

snakesRkewl, this was necroed from about three weeks ago, btw.
    Last edited by stevepoppers; 07-23-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevepoppers View Post
    snakesRkewl, this was necroed from about three weeks ago, btw.
    That's what I get posting during my first cup of coffee, lol.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Has anyone had any problems heating their tubs like this? The only reason I ask is because the under tank heaters say not to use them on plastic? The one that they recomend for plastic is way too small to do any good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manaraysobx View Post
    Has anyone had any problems heating their tubs like this? The only reason I ask is because the under tank heaters say not to use them on plastic? The one that they recomend for plastic is way too small to do any good.
    As long as you use your under tank heater with a proper thermostat to control the temperature you are good to go. Any temperature that your snake is exposed to should not be enough to melt plastic.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Great Tutorial! Thank You!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to panzi For This Useful Post:

skueppers (01-27-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast