Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

0 members and 2,867 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: !!!help!!!

Thanks

Unhappy !!!help!!!

Hello, I JUST got a hirless rat . I have had rats all my life, I have had my little girl albino for almost 8 mounths. Her BF passed and me and her were bolth verry sad. I fianly desided to get another hairless rat ( male) from petsmart. He is so sweet, so I put them together at the store and it looked like they got along. I left them together for around 15min and I come back to **squeek** **squeeeeek**. I run to the cage , rose was ok but my new big male hairless is BLEEDING , alot! Im realy scared, he has 5 big wounds a buntch of scratches and one relly deep cut. I put liquid skin on the big gash and am holding him right now, I'm scared to put him back with rose but have no where else to put him BUT roses cage. It is a big glass cage.

the bleeding stopped and he looks ok ( other than the red marks all over his body) fine . Thank god. What should I do to keep this from happening aggen?

I am sorry in advance for the spellingabove

2.0.0 06 normal
    0.1.0 08 normal
    0.0.2 10 corns

Thanks

Re: !!!help!!!

If they don't take immediatley they usually won't. Also, its best not to keep hairless in glass cages as they are even more prone to RI in my experience. Keep some neosporin on the wounds and it should heal up nicely

Thanks

thanks for you concern. i got him fixed up. im going to get a HUGE $300 cage and get like 20 rats, one at a time.

2.0.0 06 normal
    0.1.0 08 normal
    0.0.2 10 corns

Thanks

can a mod deleat this thread?

2.0.0 06 normal
    0.1.0 08 normal
    0.0.2 10 corns

Thanks

When you introduce them, maybe make a wire divider, so they can smell and touch each other but not bite each other. That way they can get to know one another before you take the divider out.
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Tebele View Post
    Hello, I JUST got a hirless rat . I have had rats all my life, I have had my little girl albino for almost 8 mounths. Her BF passed and me and her were bolth verry sad. I fianly desided to get another hairless rat ( male) from petsmart. He is so sweet, so I put them together at the store and it looked like they got along. I left them together for around 15min and I come back to **squeek** **squeeeeek**. I run to the cage , rose was ok but my new big male hairless is BLEEDING , alot! Im realy scared, he has 5 big wounds a buntch of scratches and one relly deep cut. I put liquid skin on the big gash and am holding him right now, I'm scared to put him back with rose but have no where else to put him BUT roses cage. It is a big glass cage.

the bleeding stopped and he looks ok ( other than the red marks all over his body) fine . Thank god. What should I do to keep this from happening aggen?
    She attacked him because he was in her home .If you want to introduce another rat you need to "redo" the enclosure so the first rat does not defend its home.Do you do any research BEFORE you get a new animal?
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I hope you are not putting 20 rats in the same $300 cage.

When introducing any animal, ALWAYS do it in neutral territory. One way to do it would be to put the rats in the bathtub. Make sure there is no way they can climb/jump out and watch them for any aggression. Once they are okay being in the same area together, take the cage and clean it really well. Wipe down the bars, wash any cloth bedding, wash any toys/food dishes/water bottles, etc. Rearrange the cage so it looks like a whole new cage and then introduce both rats to the cage at the same time. This way it is no one rat's territory.

I would also recommend you research before you get any more animals. Before I get an animal I do tons of research and join multiple forums and stay on those forums while I have the animal. There is always something new to learn about an animal you are keeping.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

there is a forum called goosemoose.com that caters to people with small animals for pets, especially rats. They can give you all kinds of tricks to help them to get along better but Jay_Bunny has it about right. It sometimes takes a very long time to introduce new rats into an existing cage but the best thing to do is bring everybody to a neutral area and let them get used to each other. You can use a bathtub or your bed or a couch, anyplace that you can watch them all (an extra pair of eyes never hurts either)

Thanks

:| When I introduce mice, I always so it after cleaning the tank completely and using windex to get rid of the exisiting smells. Then I introduce the new mice first, then the old mice.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Registered User girlundertherainbow's Avatar
    Thanks

For future reference..
    you need to go through alot more introduction steps,
    AFTER,
    going through a long quarantine time.
    And with injuries.. Bag balm is great.. I personally wouldn't use liquid skin on a rat much less a hairless but there may be other opinions on this.
    And 20 rats in a cage, introduced at different times, is gonna be kinda hard.
    Best bet would be to get them all after being weaned, from the same breeder/breeders.. if you want the best chances of them getting along.
    I have had 26 rats in a cage,
    but they were from two moms I got with that intention.. I bred them together and each had one litter, and I split males and put them with the dad in a 4ft by 2ft cage, and the girls went with the moms in another large cage.
    Good luck with your babies.