Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,498

2 members and 1,496 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Urgent Action Needed to Help Maryland Pet Owners

On Thursday, February 18th, Maryland’s Senate Finance Committee will consider Senate Bill 505 to ban the pet store sale of dogs less than nine months of age. While stopping the resale of puppies that come from puppy mills is certainly necessary, the National Pet Association opposes SB 505 as a means to do so.

The National Pet Association advocates adoption as the first option to be considered by any new pet owner. In times when adoption simply isn’t an option, Marylanders deserve to be able to purchase puppies from reputable retail establishments within the state. While it’s certain that some pet stores selling puppies are far from “reputable”, SB 505 makes no exception for any pet store that desires to achieve excellence for their customers and the puppies that they would sell.

Along with limiting the choice of responsible pet owners, SB 505 could limit the ability of many decent, hard working Maryland residents to obtain a puppy under nine months of age. By eliminating pet stores as a regular source for puppies, nonprofits exempted by SB 505 will inevitably fill that void within the state. Many of these organizations have adoption requirements that mandate a “home inspection” in order to adopt a puppy. For Marylanders that want to own a puppy but would rather not have strangers invading the privacy of their homes, SB 505 leaves them with few options. Also, with no state regulation of adoption fees, organizations that are exempt from SB 505 could use fees to arbitrarily discriminate against Maryland’s citizens. Adoption fees could be set prohibitively high for citizens from poorer neighborhoods if an organization felt that poorer families will somehow not meet their standard of care.

Please make a couple of quick phone calls to the members of the Finance committee listed below. Politely ask them to oppose SB 505 that bans the pet store sale of dogs less than nine months of age so that responsible Maryland pet owners can have fair and reasonable choices. Explain that ending the mistreatment of dogs in puppy mills is an extremely important issue that should be addressed by legislation that specifically penalizes or shuts down those facilities instead of limiting the options of Maryland’s current and future pet owners. If you have an extra moment, please also send an email message to each committee member urging for their opposition to this measure.

Thank you for your compassion and action on behalf of pets and responsible pet owners.

Regards,
    Adam Wysocki
    The National Pet Association

Maryland State Senate Finance Committee Members

Thomas M. Middleton (Committee Chair) - (410) 841-3616
    thomas.mclain.middleton@senate.state.md.us

John C. Astle (Committee Vice Chair) - (410) 841-3578
    john.astle@senate.state.md.us

George W. Della, Jr. - (410) 841-3600
    george.della@senate.state.md.us

Allan H. Kittleman - (410) 841-3671
    allan.kittleman@senate.state.md.us

Nathaniel Exum - (410) 841-3148
    nathaniel.exum@senate.state.md.us

Rob Garagiola - (410) 841-3169
    rob.garagiola@senate.state.md.us

Barry Glassman - (410) 841-3603
    barry.glassman@senate.state.md.us

Delores G. Kelley - (410) 841-3606
    delores.kelley@senate.state.md.us

Katherine Klausmeier - (410) 841-3620
    katherine.klausmeier@senate.state.md.us

E. J. Pipkin - (410) 841-3639
    ej.pipkin@senate.state.md.us

Catherine E. Pugh - (410) 841-3656
    catherine.pugh@senate.state.md.us
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Re: Urgent Action Needed to Help Maryland Pet Owners

I spoke to the representative of the chair and she said all that would be needed was an email or letter to the chairman. She would then distribute all comments to the committee. I also asked her what the buzz was on this bill and she said it was too early to tell, but she didn't think it had much to offer. She said I could call back after Friday's committee meeting and she would tell me more.

Keep up the pressure, don't let this fall into line like so many bills have in the past.

Even if you don't own or never want to own a dog, please consider taking a few moments to send one email to the chairman listed in Adam's post.

Thank You!
    Jim Smith

Thanks

The sponsor of the bill is Lisa Gladden. I've done a little research on our representative and found she is something of a laughing stock of the Dem party. She once said, (I'm paraphrasing) "It's okay that Maryland is going broke as long as Barrack Obama is President." She's made some other gaffes while in office, but I don't think she's being taken too seriously this year. BTW, she's sponsored a bunch of bills this year. Seems like she likes to have her name associated with as many bills as possible.

FYI,
    Jim Smith

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

There are already laws in place protecting animals. Passing more laws against law abiding citizens is not the way to go about stopping a problem, but rather enforcing the current regulations for acceptable animal care is the way to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

At nine months ther not even puppies anymore!
    Havent we got bigger problems to solve

6. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (02-17-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    At nine months ther not even puppies anymore!
    Havent we got bigger problems to solve
    i was thinking the same thing, the younger you get a puppy the easier it is to train them, i dont see stores holding on to all these puppies till 9 months of age and doing any type of training with them. just what people need a 9 month old untrained dog.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

I spoke with the Chairman's office today and they told me that the bill is going to be amended. The amended bill will also include cats. The woman I spoke to did not want to get into details of the amendments until they were actually submitted, so I couldn't get too much from her. She did say, this bill is going after puppy mills and that this bill will make buying from a puppy mill too expensive for pet shops. I know, it doesn't make sense, but I wasn't going to shoot the messenger. She told me the amendments should be available early next week. She doesn't know when the second reading would be conducted, but we can watch it on the senate web page.

It will be interesting to see what happens. She also told me the Humane Society was a partner and they would be included in the amendments.

Stay tuned for updates.
    Jim Smith

Thanks

No news is good news. I'm hoping to get further information later this week.

Jim Smith