Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,114

0 members and 3,114 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Would you wear or use a reptile skin product?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

29 34.94%
  • Nope!

54 65.06%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Would you wear reptile skin?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSean View Post
    Oooh someone else likes fur. I love fur. Coats are so bloody expensive though lol
    I know :| I want to get good at tanning hides so I can make a goat skin coat. Then I can be nice and warm in winter lol

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I have no problems with farmed skins. I would wear leather from anything sustainably raised and harvested, if it was decent. (Style is another matter--many things made of reptile skin seem pretty garish).
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I know :| I want to get good at tanning hides so I can make a goat skin coat. Then I can be nice and warm in winter lol
    That would be cool. I have seen a long goat hair jacket and it looked like monkey fur. Its nice.

The annoying thing is, fur farming has been banned by law here which I think is silly. I get that people don't like it, but thats no reason to ban something for everyone completely. I would have rather they pushed for better and tighter restrictions on fur farms than a ban. It just means I have to buy the pelts I want from you guys in the US.
    Im a Lover Not a Fighter...

Thanks

I am perfectly happy with faux snake skin purses...nothing wrong with that..Plus it gives jobs.

Burm skin is used ALOT and I see my baby when I look at it... I don’t get mad when I see people wherein it..but I do feel some heartache.

a few years ago we were doing a show with our big burm girl and this lady was so scared of her and asking so many questions and such she had python shoes and purse and so she told me she was a snake lover too.... I just didn’t see it eye to eye... but didn’t hold it against her...just didn’t see it the same way.

I know a friend has actually got 'road kill' snakes and cleaned the vertebrate to make necklaces and other jewelry items and I think it’s cool.

So to me- it’s each to their own.

I voted no... It’s just not for me.

click pic to see my reptiles

Thanks

I wouldn't wear it. Every time I've seen something with fake snake skin (never seen an item made out of real snake skin) the "skin" doesn't match most of my wardrobe.

Maybe, just maybe if there was a snake skin purse that didn't look terrible like most I've seen, I would consider buying it. I've always thought about what they do with the burms they find in the everglades. If they're just going to go to waste... Maybe sell the skin and make profit to help their cause. It's probly not that simple, but I've always wondered.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    I wouldn't wear it. Every time I've seen something with fake snake skin (never seen an item made out of real snake skin) the "skin" doesn't match most of my wardrobe.

Maybe, just maybe if there was a snake skin purse that didn't look terrible like most I've seen, I would consider buying it. I've always thought about what they do with the burms they find in the everglades. If they're just going to go to waste... Maybe sell the skin and make profit to help their cause. It's probly not that simple, but I've always wondered.

Thats a point. Natural snake pattern wouldn't really go with much I would think. I know they dye them but it kindof takes away from the point of it for me. Its like when I see someone wearing 2 differnet kinds of fur, like a blue fox coat (grey colour) then a red fox hat, its like ahhh lol

Thanks

I don't like the fact that animals are killed and only used for one thing. I can sorta understand if the animal was killed, eaten, and used for its fur. People can be so wasteful a lot of times and just kill for one purpose.

As for snake skin... I think I'm too afraid to eat snakes to begin with. Snakes are highly respected in my culture (even though I'm not really religious at all). Maybe it's because I love snakes waay too much to bring myself to do that....

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with what a few others have said here. I would not wear snake skin because the animal died for nothing more than a fashion statement. The Indians killed a buffalo and they used every usable piece of the entire animal. They used gut, bone, teeth, meat, and hide. I get that. The use of animals for nothing but their hide is wasteful, slothful, greedy and completely unnecessary. I think it's pretty disgusting. Now as for the poster who said he would have his burms skin tanned out after it passed. I totally get that too and think it's very cool. While life and death are all just part of the cycle, we should have respect for the preciousness of life. It is not, in my opinion, to be piddled away for someone's waist coat or stylish boots.
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks

I voted no, just because I really do love snakes and wouldn't really want to wear the skin of one who was killed just for its skins to make products. Plus, to me, it's just a waste of money buying something I don't really even need.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Yeah I don't like waste. Which is why I don't like the milk industry. They have to keep the cows pregant to keep them producting and any male calfs born and useless and it costs more to grow them up than they would get so they just shoot them in the head. So mean.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast