Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

0 members and 3,224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: how long does it take to digest?

use a tub

Thanks

Ok a couple of things. Your ball python doesn't want a basking spot. They don't want to come out and bask. Think about it like this. If I come out into the sun I get eaten by a bird of prey. Your snake will do best with two identical tight fitting hides with one opening each. You should then try to provide appropriate warm and cool temps under those hides with an ambient temp above 75 at the bear minimum.

Now your first question was "How long does it take to digest?" The answer is a lot longer if your temps are too low, which they appear to be. You should invest in a UTH and a thermostat. BP's will digest their meals in the burrows of the animals they eat or other appropriate burrows. Its for this reason that they get their heat from the ground they are sitting on, not the sun. Your BP, never ever wants to come out and sit under a hot lamp. It will only do so if its that or death.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    Ok a couple of things. Your ball python doesn't want a basking spot. They don't want to come out and bask. Think about it like this. If I come out into the sun I get eaten by a bird of prey. Your snake will do best with two identical tight fitting hides with one opening each. You should then try to provide appropriate warm and cool temps under those hides with an ambient temp above 75 at the bear minimum.

Now your first question was "How long does it take to digest?" The answer is a lot longer if your temps are too low, which they appear to be. You should invest in a UTH and a thermostat. BP's will digest their meals in the burrows of the animals they eat or other appropriate burrows. Its for this reason that they get their heat from the ground they are sitting on, not the sun. Your BP, never ever wants to come out and sit under a hot lamp. It will only do so if its that or death.
    i know he doesnt want to sit in the sun... i use a basking light because of the heat it produces.. you have to under stand where i live at ALASKA my room sits at 60 to 55 degrees all day n night since fuel oil is almost 4 bucks a gallon. now my temps atm are gross since the lights i have i bought for a dirt n bark substrate... i can only have the 60 watt night light on now or the cage gets to 100 degrees all around... he has a uth that alone gets to 90 degrees... and up date on the other issues

mites gone
    bloating lessing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

If you need to use lamp heat, I would either use a red bulb or a ceramic bulb, that way you don't mess up their day/night cycle. Having a bright light shining on them 24/7 will screw them up.

Another option to look into is radiant heat panels. They are kind of expensive but they would work very well with the climate that you are in.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    If you need to use lamp heat, I would either use a red bulb or a ceramic bulb, that way you don't mess up their day/night cycle. Having a bright light shining on them 24/7 will screw them up.

Another option to look into is radiant heat panels. They are kind of expensive but they would work very well with the climate that you are in.
    a 75 watt is 60 bucks at petco price does not matter for my snake though lol

i no longer use the basking lights during the day since he doesnt seem to mind if it is night 24/7

note he gets light from my room during the day or from my skinks basking lights

red light is used when he has his substrate cant use atm since it brings the cage temp over all 100+

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tizzle89 View Post
    a 75 watt is 60 bucks at petco price does not matter for my snake though lol

i no longer use the basking lights during the day since he doesnt seem to mind if it is night 24/7

note he gets light from my room during the day or from my skinks basking lights

red light is used when he has his substrate cant use atm since it brings the cage temp over all 100+
    I would definately look into a radiant heat panel.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/radiant...panel-faq.html
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I would definately look into a radiant heat panel.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/radiant...panel-faq.html
    thats pretty neet lol but wont work for my cage

screen topped

not going to buy something to reg the heat

the ceramic heat emitters will work fine lol they dont say the heat panel is better or worse they just say the che gets really hot... but of course it does a reg 25 watt light bulb in the house gets hot

but really the most needed item atm is another hide

Thanks

You NEED something to regulate the heat or else your animal will get thermal burns. Especially if you are using a UTH. A UTH will get MUCH hotter then the acceptable range of temps. Plenty to slowly cook your snake.

You can still use a RHP with a screen top. You can mount them on the side of the glass.

The problem with CHEs is they get very hot and they kill humidity. You should know that cold climates generally have very low humidity making it even harder to keep humidity up in the tank. That is really my only concern when using them. Bad sheds are no picnic.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

You NEED something to regulate the heat or else your animal will get thermal burns. Especially if you are using a UTH. A UTH will get MUCH hotter then the acceptable range of temps. Plenty to slowly cook your snake.

You can still use a RHP with a screen top. You can mount them on the side of the glass.

The problem with CHEs is they get very hot and they kill humidity. You should know that cold climates generally have very low humidity making it even harder to keep humidity up in the tank. That is really my only concern when using them. Bad sheds are no picnic.
    this is why my cage setup has to be dif from the norm lol to battle to humidity issue i put sphagnum moss in a plastic bowl and set it under his light.. i enclose about 90% of the cage top to keep the humidity in. if what your saying is correct then i would have to get a diamond drill bit to drill through my glass to mount the heat source.. lol im not using plastic for my snake atm bought this 150 dollar cage and by god its going to be used lol. sad i made a perfectly working cage for my moms gecko for 50 to 60

i see your point on the heating pad thing but in the long run its just going to cost not the 60 for it but probs 100 to 150 since it says i need to have a thermostat for it to reg its heat so it doesnt burn my snake..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tizzle89 View Post
    this is why my cage setup has to be dif from the norm lol to battle to humidity issue i put sphagnum moss in a plastic bowl and set it under his light.. i enclose about 90% of the cage top to keep the humidity in. if what your saying is correct then i would have to get a diamond drill bit to drill through my glass to mount the heat source.. lol im not using plastic for my snake atm bought this 150 dollar cage and by god its going to be used lol. sad i made a perfectly working cage for my moms gecko for 50 to 60

i see your point on the heating pad thing but in the long run its just going to cost not the 60 for it but probs 100 to 150 since it says i need to have a thermostat for it to reg its heat so it doesnt burn my snake..
    My point is you need a thermostat to safely run the heating pad anyway.
    ~Steffe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast