Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

4 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

i dont think my snake likes me

hi everyone im a total newbie when it comes to ball python keeping and baught my first ball python about 3 weeks ago the people in the store i got it from said to leave it for about two weeks to settle in then try and handle it then but everytime i go to pick him up he doesnt seem to like it and trys to get away from me and im worried about either hurting him or him not trusting me have you got any tips on how to start handling him and getting him used to me because i would like to get the most out of my pet sorry forgot to mention he is 2 years old and feeds without question he shed about a week ago now but just doesnt want to know any help would be great thanks

Thanks

Re: i dont think my snake likes me

I would just pick him up and let him move freely through your hands. He will calm down very quickly. Most snakes are a bit active when you pull them out of thier enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Remember, you are a big scary monster to your snake! It will take time for him to get used to you and realize you aren't going to eat him.

Make sure you provide your snake with two identical tight fitting hides (not half logs, they aren't appropriate for ball pythons) so that he has a place where he can go to feel safe.

Has your snake eaten for you yet?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

dont panic mike its only been 3 weeks I would just be patient and keep regular handling sessions going once its been about 6 weeks with regular handling you should notice a big improvement.

and btw your snake will never like you its not in their nature
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

i just tried again to pick him up and he just goes into an s and follows my hand with his head do you still thimk just pick him up ??

oh and yes ive fed him every week since i have had him had no problems went straight down lol

Thanks

You have to pick him up sooner or later so he realises you are not gonna hurt him. If he ends up bitting you pick him up anyways so he doesnt get used to that as deffense. Eventualy he will get used to you.

In the other hand there are very shy BPs. My oldest and biggest one is the most shy of them all. He still acts like he scared of me, Untill I pick him up, then he calms down.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike20090 View Post
    i just tried again to pick him up and he just goes into an s and follows my hand with his head do you still thimk just pick him up ??

oh and yes ive fed him every week since i have had him had no problems went straight down lol
    Just pick him up. If he bites you, you've joined the club. You are teaching him that he can make you leave him alone if he postures. Grab him from behind. Gently but with meaning. Don't be hesitant. The snake is learning, hey, if I do this he'll leave me alone. So you've got to change his attitude.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith