Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,568

1 members and 1,567 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Feeding 20 inch Ball Python? Is this right?

I am sure there is a care sheet around here somewhere that answers this question for me, but I was hoping someone could give me a more exact response...

So my 20 inch juvenile / baby ball python is getting fed 1 medium arctic mouse ( Petsmart brand frozen mouse ) every 4-5 days, I would say it is almost about the same diameter of the thickest part of the snake, maybe a little smaller, they are not always consistent with the size of the mouse, he always eats, he has never refused a meal, even when he is in the cloudy phase of his shed... However after like 3-4 days he is always up and about his cage pacing restlessly which seems to indicate he is a hungry little dude. Should I be feeding him more often? Or does he need a little larger mouse? Can baby ball pythons become obese? Can they be overfed? Any advice for this size snake and his feeding schedule / size of meal? Anything you guys can tell me would be really appreciated, Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Feeding 20 inch Ball Python? Is this right?

It is hard to make a baby ball obesse. If they often, they will grow fast. every 3-4 days sounds good. You dont realy wanna feed her anything so big if he is eating so often. I have a hatchling spider that went from 107g to almost 450g now in a matter of a few months. I fed her about every 4 days.

The rule of thumbs is to feed the same size mice/rat as the width of the snake. Even a bit bigger.
    Last edited by Danounet; 02-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

OK that is perfect, that means I need slightly larger mice, appreciate the quick reply...

I just wanted to say that this is the best snake! I have heard that Ball Pythons can be kinda head shy and nervous sometimes, but my snake is totally relaxed 100% of the time, he has never balled up and I can grab his head and scratch him under the chin and he does not get scared at all, he/she is really friendly and does not mind being held whatsoever, when u come up to the tank he/she will slither up and check out whats goin on, almost as if he is ready to come out for his daily exercise, I make sure she gets out daily, except for 24-48 hours after feeding, and it really seems to be paying off because her attitude around people is amazing, are most ball pythons this chill? what are your guys's experience with them being so relaxed? Did I just win the snake personality lottery or what?

Thanks

My first guy is exactly like that. I can honestly say he's never balled up on me once, and he loves being scratched. He's also taken out to hanging out on my shoulder under my shirt with his head poking out the front while I'm reading (or on here ) My spider is a little more nervous, but he's definitely calming down, but my normal could care less what you do with him. He's been to my cousins kindergarten class for show and tell several times now, and he's absolutely wonderful with all those little kids
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

I completely agree. As babies they can always take something a bit bigger than the widest part of the body. Since they do not yet have the girth they will as adults, it's hard to say you should only give something as wide as the widest part of the snake. They are often quite thin all the way down the body for the first couple months. But they need all the nutrition they can get.

Thanks

Babies can take adult mice!

Thanks

An adult mouse every 3-4 days would probably not be the best of diets... They need to eat often, not pig out often. Just because you could eat a double stacked burger everday, doesnt mean you should.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Its good that you have him on frozen thawed, I would work on switching to rats, as your snake grows mice will just not be enough. As far as feeding dont go to crazy but feeding every 5 days is good. On the comment above about the spider hatchling.... Mine are growing like weeds... Have talked to a few people and seems pretty consistant that spiders eat grow and thrive very well