Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,733

1 members and 2,732 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: GREAT! Now a lady gets bitten by a cobra in a shopping center parking lot!

I live in Maryland and I've got to call BS on this one. Too cold this time of year. Have you ever heard of a cobra striking without hooding first? Who in their right mind (non herp types excluded) would pick up a snake once bitten? The Baltimore Zoo stocks anti venom.

Now, lets say this person owned this Monocled Cobra (probably one of the most kept cobras in the hobby) and was bit. She knows that it's illegal to keep venomous in the state, but knew she needed help. How in the world could a cobra escape from someone's home and go out into the cold, when it's designed for warmer weather? Even a corn snake will seek warmth, not cold. I claim total BS.

Jim Smith

ps this has not made the local news at all. I will keep track of the news and see if anything shows up.

Just found some articles on this. Most were released today. Here's one that is taking this story with a good dose of reallity. Good read.
    http://dailyme.com/story/20100128000...n-experts.html

I bet that if they released her name, I could tell you if she's into hots or at least snakes in general.
    Last edited by j_h_smith; 01-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to j_h_smith For This Useful Post:

broadude (01-28-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    She bagged the snake after it bit her! I don't think there are many ppl out there that know or could bag a cobra without more bites. Especially without having the proper equipment.

Maybe it is just me...but this sounds a little fishy.
    I thought the same exact thing! What average person especially since most ppl are afraid of snakes would wrangle it up AFTER it bit her and bag it so she could take it with her???? I find that seriously very hard to believe!

Thanks

Does any of this story make sense to anyone here?
    I see cobras all of the time here in Maryland and they do look just like sticks. How many sticks has this lady picked up in the parking lot of shopping centers?
    Does anyone here pick up sticks they see lying in parking lots?
    Last edited by vjb; 01-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    1.0 Banana Cali-King
    1.0 Cornsnake
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.0 Mexican Rosy Boa
    1.0 Colombian Red Tail Boa

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

I know things in the story just don't add up to me.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

I think that vet hit the nail on the head in the video! There is no way a cobra could survive in baltomore this time of yr period!!! The dumb lady probably had it as a pet and made the scenario up as the others here have said to avoid the law and hospital bills but thats just MO.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

well sounds like they are calling this bologna as well.

Bent over to pick up a stick at the store at 7 pm....ahhhhhhhhhh yea
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

In the youtube news video that was linked, they point out that bagging the snake and bringing it with her to the docs is something a snake expert would do. I think this story is so ridiculous that even the media is seeing through it! Yay!

It also says the snake was taken to a zoo and will join the collection there. Glad there is a happy ending for the snake for once. Double Yay!
    Casey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vjb View Post
    Does anyone here pick up sticks they see lying in parking lots?
    Well, you know, if I happened to see a stick that looked just like a real live cobra, I'd probably pick it up too!

Er... wait a minute. First I'd run away. Then I'd find a REALLY long stick, to poke at the other stick, and make sure it is just a stick. THEN I'd pick it up. That's assuming I ever believed for half a second that it was a stick in the first place.
    Casey

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I smell fishes...

Ok first non snake person get's bit by a cobra your not picking it up and bagging it..Second if you can't tell the difference in a cobra and a stick you need glasses.

I think it was her snake and to avoid insurance issues she claimed she found it..Home owners insurance will drop you like a cheap date if you get bite by a venomous snake that you own...
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

the really good part is it happened at 7pm at night. I am from Pa and at 7pm its pitch black and has been for about 1.5hrs or so. So now really who the heck picks up sticks in the middle of night that are laying on the ground? LMAO!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast