Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

5 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

New York Anti-Reptile Bill A07935

New York Anti-Reptile Bill A07935
    Prohibits the ownership, possession or harboring of a wild animal or reptile;
    makes violation a class E felony.
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=7935
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New York Anti-Reptile Bill A07935

Yet another vaguely worded piece of legislation! Huzzah!

Do they mean 'wild animal or wild reptile' or do they mean 'wild animals and all reptiles'??

Describing the chimp as a 'wild animal' makes little practical sense. Interpretation of this legislation will be a nightmare and guaranteed to be subjective and difficult for anyone to comply with.

*fuming*

I wish every lawmaker was required to take a technical writing course so they can learn to be specific. This is rediculous.
    Augie 1.0.0 Lemon Pastel BP
    Rio 1.0.0 South Brazilian BCA
    Blaze 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Sounds as if its going to be for Native wild animals/reptiles. If that is the case im all for not owning Native species. We already threaten them as it is let alone capturing them to keep them.

Thanks

could you explain your reasoning more?

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    Sounds as if its going to be for Native wild animals/reptiles. If that is the case im all for not owning Native species. We already threaten them as it is let alone capturing them to keep them.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I dont see it being right to go and rip animals form nature to benefit us when there's soo many captive bred in the US alone to ful fill your every needs. Native species in the wild belong in the wild, not in our house.

Thanks

What if the species is nearing extinction and it would take an intervention by us to capture some of them and captive breed them to ensure survival?
    Last edited by 2kdime; 01-20-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks

Then guess what, if you truly believed that, then you would own ZERO snakes. Think about it, every snake you, i, or anyone else owns has wild origins.

Collecting "usually" isn't the problem, yes of course it can be overdone, but the big problem is habitat destruction.

When they clear that land for that strip mall or housing division, guess what...no more habitat for the snakes = no more snakes.

I dont see it being right to go and rip animals form nature to benefit us when there's soo many captive bred in the US alone to ful fill your every needs. Native species in the wild belong in the wild, not in our house.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    I hate to throw this thread off topic....

But I'm ALL for captive breeding and keeping native species if it continues their survival.

Wasn't the Black footed ferret considered near/extinct?

But due to breeding programs they are keeping up in numbers
    Im all for that too to help INCREASE the native wild species. Which is why there are groups funded by the state and zoos who breed them to increase the population

But im all for legislation to stop people going out catching a snake/frog/animal and keeping it. Those snakes/frogs/animals should remain wild and be admired from their natural home. SHould only be premitted for research of increasing their survival population

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What an idiotic and poorly worded law. WAY too vague and open to interpretation.

Really? So you believe corn snakes should be illegal in in all of the southeastern states? *Owning* an animal is very different than *capturing* one.

Even if your statement was changed to state that you are all for not capturing native species, I still couldn't agree. Some native species are very plentiful and the wild populations are in no danger. Even those that are in some danger are probably not significantly harmed by the few that might be collected from the wild. It is habitat destruction that is endangering most of them. In some cases, capturing the few that remain and then starting a captive breeding program may be the only hope the species has for survival.
    Casey

Thanks

yes, at one time the black footed ferrett was like number 2 on the endangered list.

I remember the A.F.H. T shirt that said, "If Herpetoculturist were around, dinosaurs wouldn't be extinct."

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    I hate to throw this thread off topic....

But I'm ALL for captive breeding and keeping native species if it continues their survival.

Wasn't the Black footed ferret considered near/extinct?

But due to breeding programs they are keeping up in numbers, the first animals of such programs would have had to come from SOMEWHERE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast