Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,166

0 members and 1,166 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

some questions for the hot owners

I just wanted to know , you guys that keep venomous snakes, do you keep anti-venom on hand at all times?
    how much does it cost you to keep all the anti-venom?

and , wouldn't you need to keep a specific type of anti-venom for each type of snake?
    some of the threads I've been looking at, guys have quite a few hots, that must get quite costly to keep that much anti-venom on hand. also, doesn't it have a limited shelf life?

I must say , there are some very cool looking snakes, which I'd love to own. But , to me its not worth the risks involved.

I like handling my snakes without having to fear for my life each time. I do appreciate you guys posting pics of them, though , for the rest of us to enjoy as well.

Thanks

Re: some questions for the hot owners

i do not keep hots, but i can help you out.

Many hot keepers do not keep anti-venom.
    YES anti venom does have a shelf life. and its not very long if i recall.
    there is anti venom for multipul snakes. (meaning i get bit by "X" but i can use this antivenom for snake bites from "X,Y,Z") understand?
    so you dont have to have a ton of different antivenom always.

best solution, DONT GET BIT.

on a personal note...
    i would never keep one just due to the fact of it being illigal in my state, but on top of that, i have no reason to. i see no fun in owning a animal i cannot hold, feed, or take care of properly without having the thought in the back of my head that i could mess up and die, or worst, it escape and harm someone else.

Just my .02

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

It does have a short shelf life, if i'm not mistaken the anti-ven usually depends on the protiens and such of the snake. Usually people that keep hots make arrangements with the local hospital incase of that situation. The 3 main carrieres of anti-ven are in San Diego, CA - Bronyx, NY & Miami, FL.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

i think it has a fairly long shelf life.

some types cover multiple species, like crofab covers most of the north american pitvipers.

there are some very good (but expensive) books about the subject.

Thanks

make sure that your local hospital has the anti-venin that you'll need.
    If there is a zoo near you that has hot snakes, the hospital may have it for those species. keep native species then they definately should have it.
    1.0 Spider, 0.1 Lemon Pastel, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 66% Het Pied, 0.1 Poss. Het Pied. 0.2 Normals
    1.1 Irian Jayas (M.s.harrisoni)
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (E.c.cenchria)
    0.1 Red milk
    HOTS:
    0.0.1 Red Diamond Rattlesnake (C. ruber)
    0.0.1 So.Pac. Rattlesnake (C.helleri)
    0.0.2 Sidewinders (C.cerastes)
    www.youtube.com/user/cerastesruber

Thanks

Most hot keepers do not keep antivenom. Injecting your own antivenom can be just as fatal as the snake bit itself. Antivenom is very costly and does not have a long shelf life.

Some hot keepers do self immunization with diluted snake venom. This is like getting a vaccine from your doctor. You start off with small amount and gradually work your way up to larger amounts. This allows your body to produce antibodies to the venom and in return your blood is the antivenom. You are taking place of the horse/sheep used to produce anivenom. I do not reccomend ANYONE to try this with out the help and guidance of an individual that has successfully performes self-immunizations.

The worry is that your body could have a reaction to the antivenom or the diluted venom, in the case of SI, and this could be just as fatal as the venom itself.

Matt

Thanks

Your local zoos carry moar Antivenoms. Along with venom 911 in Miami. They have the means of getting AV to most of the US. Most of the time hospitals will call your local zoo. Anyone with hots should have a bite protocal and know who to call. Miami Day(spelling?) says it is best to get bite MON-FRI 8-5 durring the business hours. They can get AV outside these hours but the response time is much slower.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MKHerps View Post
    Your local zoos carry moar Antivenoms. Along with venom 911 in Miami. They have the means of getting AV to most of the US. Most of the time hospitals will call your local zoo. Anyone with hots should have a bite protocal and know who to call. Miami Day(spelling?) says it is best to get bite MON-FRI 8-5 durring the business hours. They can get AV outside these hours but the response time is much slower.
    haha, best to plan when you're gonna get bit, huh? maybe only handle them during business hours.

I was watching a show on discovery the other day, and a snake handler got bit ( I think it was a king cobra) , he spent a week in the hospital, his face swelled up like a balloon, and they said it cost about $28,000 for the anti-ven.

I don't recall if he was attempting to milk the snake.

so , what happens if (knock wood that it doesn't) it does happen , will they give you a bill for $28,000 after you recover?

Thanks

yes, if bitten, be prepared to get hit with a HUGE bill. I know of a guy who got bit by a cottonmouth and the bill ended up being $80,000.

Also if you have health insurance, and you are bitten by one of your own hots, be prepared to get dropped.

Thanks

US made Crofab is much more exspensive then the Mexico version. I am talking a few thousand more. I think the hospital charges somewhere between 7-10k per vial of Crofab, and it can take many vials in some cases to treat a bite. The hospital bill will be very exspensive if you get bit. Make sure you have medical insurance if you are keeping hots.

There is a very good website for any venomous questions. It has bite info and pics, venom info, pics of most species, and is a forum. Check it out at www.venom-center.com
    Last edited by MKHerps; 01-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.