Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

1 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

?? on my new meican pine snake and bullsnake

fist off, i have to admit, that my pit experiance isn't the best I've read about the northern pine snakes and there husbandry, but i already had tubs set up so i got them. so my first ?? bulls and pines are rear fanged snakes right, the breeder said yes, but i googled bull snakes and got dif answers. second i know they rattle but when miy bull does he opens his mouth and makes a diferant hissing sound then try to strikes. does he open his mouth ready to strike or has to open his mouth to make that hissing sound, my bps and corn, hiss with no open mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Yeah....gotta really work on that realism when shooting a movie with a woman who has snakes for hair and can turn you to stone with a look....what were they thinking???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: ?? on my new meican pine snake and bullsnake

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSER11788 View Post
    fist off, i have to admit, that my pit experiance isn't the best I've read about the northern pine snakes and there husbandry, but i already had tubs set up so i got them. so my first ?? bulls and pines are rear fanged snakes right, the breeder said yes, but i googled bull snakes and got dif answers. second i know they rattle but when miy bull does he opens his mouth and makes a diferant hissing sound then try to strikes. does he open his mouth ready to strike or has to open his mouth to make that hissing sound, my bps and corn, hiss with no open mouth
    All colubrids will rattle their tails as its a defensive behavior that most grow out of once older. If not mistaken they are not rear fanged at all, as rear fanged are considered semi venomous snakes and pines are not. They do have teeth just their not large, but will draw blood.

Pine snakes can be very aggressive when younger but with time and settle in period they can get better over time.

Thanks

wonder why the breeder said they were, oh-well i went to expo for boa and milk-snake, the expo wasn't great but the deal and colors on these were great
    Yeah....gotta really work on that realism when shooting a movie with a woman who has snakes for hair and can turn you to stone with a look....what were they thinking???

Thanks

Flameethrower is right, Bulls, Gophers and Pine snakes are not rear fanged, just a big constrictor. Care is very much like a cornsnake. Which breeder did you get them from? My Pine hissed and vibrated her tail a lot the first few weeks I had her. It's rarely happens now. They are opening their mouths when hissing to expel air over their epiglottis, a special membrane they developed for hissing loudly as a defensive mechanism.

0.0.2 Corn Snake
    1.0 Kunashir Island Japanese Rat Snake
    1.1 Pine Snake
    1.0 Spotted Python

Thanks

the breeder i asked i have no clue his name, actually he had a table in front of the one i bought mine from, but the breeder i bought from is from Ashboro(sp? big time) North Carolina, Caraway creek i belive, i left his card at my gf's house

Thanks

im sorry in my OT, I made it sound like i bought from that breeder. sorry

Thanks

Hognose are rear-fanged. But none of the pit. species. The open mouth thing is pretty much normal, but they don't have to do it to his. Not very wide, anyways. Usually they just open it a little bit, kinda side-ways looking.

I catch them alot around here (The bullsnake). From my experience, it's mostly just a big display. Maybe a bite or two initially, and some musking. Usually start calming down a bit after the initial display. If you take them out and are handling them, anyways. They like to hiss for a good 5 min. after you leave them alone. Gotta love em.
    0.0.1 Solomon Island boa
    2.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Spider BP
    0.1 Saharan Sand boa
    0.0.1 Red spotted beaked snake
    0.1 Taiwan Beauty
    1.0 Broadband Copperhead
    0.1 Senegal Chameleon
    1.1 Leopard Geckos
    0.1 Columbian B&W Tegu
    0.1.12 Curly Hair Tarantulas
    0.1 Salmon Pink bird-eating tarantula

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PyroPython View Post
    Hognose are rear-fanged. But none of the pit. species. The open mouth thing is pretty much normal, but they don't have to do it to his. Not very wide, anyways. Usually they just open it a little bit, kinda side-ways looking.

I catch them alot around here (The bullsnake). From my experience, it's mostly just a big display. Maybe a bite or two initially, and some musking. Usually start calming down a bit after the initial display. If you take them out and are handling them, anyways. They like to hiss for a good 5 min. after you leave them alone. Gotta love em.
    No one asked about hognoses. we all know their rear fanged and semi venomous. They are also not in same group as colubrids.

Thanks

I know this. It was just a statement. I do know how to read, after all.

Your whole reply is completely un-neccessary.
    0.0.1 Solomon Island boa
    2.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Spider BP
    0.1 Saharan Sand boa
    0.0.1 Red spotted beaked snake
    0.1 Taiwan Beauty
    1.0 Broadband Copperhead
    0.1 Senegal Chameleon
    1.1 Leopard Geckos
    0.1 Columbian B&W Tegu
    0.1.12 Curly Hair Tarantulas
    0.1 Salmon Pink bird-eating tarantula

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    No one asked about hognoses. we all know their rear fanged and semi venomous. They are also not in same group as colubrids.

A hognose is a colubrid........

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast