Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,664

1 members and 2,663 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Taxes, Questions and Curiousities

So I am an accounting student and have just been getting into the tax portions finally. I'm curious, tax wise how you all report if you breed.

Do you report as a Hobby and use the hobby loss to remove the income from the sales you do have(since most say you are at a loss)

Or do you actually do it as a business (S-Corp, sole prop, partner etc.) and if so how do you record your reptiles for tax purpose?
    Nova [Ball Python] 0.1.0
    Leviathan [Red Tailed Boa] 0.0.1
    Kayos, Argent [Crested Gecko] 0.2.0
    Esper [Leopard Gecko] 0.0.1
    Lunali [Girlfriend] 0.1.0
    Brewing:
    Ohgod Juice [Apple wine] 0.0.1 [Ready: Newyears 2010]

Thanks

Re: Taxes, Questions and Curiousities

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon240 View Post
    So I am an accounting student and have just been getting into the tax portions finally. I'm curious, tax wise how you all report if you breed.

Do you report as a Hobby and use the hobby loss to remove the income from the sales you do have(since most say you are at a loss)

Or do you actually do it as a business (S-Corp, sole prop, partner etc.) and if so how do you record your reptiles for tax purpose?
    you will see that both get used and you will also see that some just attempt to fly under the radar

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Taxes, Questions and Curiousities

I jsut recently got information from my county clerks office about this. They said if this is a hobby ran from a home and not a store front, nothing further is needed tax wise. Since i dont do this as a main source of income, granted some months are more profitable than others.

The state also said no permits and or registrations needed to be a breeding hobby and to sell them either. There for wouldnt need to be claimed.

Granted this is not for ALL states. Each one has their own rules on hobbies and selling. Just what i was given from the State of Michigan is that i do not need anything when being a private hobbyist.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 01-12-2010 at 07:17 PM.