Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

4 members and 2,867 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Questions on breeding mice (first time breeder)

Ok let me first start by saying I'm new here
    second i want you all to know i breed rats before i ask these questions.
    So for breeding mice the proper temps are 70-75?, is 72 good?
    A ratio of 1.4 should produce good?
    Can i put prego mom in a birthing cage with other prego moms or moms that already have pups like you can rats?
    If not can i leave the males in with the pups?
    I've read on here alot that the main reason females don't get prego is because a blank shooting male?
    Now here is how I plan on keeping them, I already have 2 zytem mouse size cages can 1.4 fit in those if not what ratio can?
    I also plan on using some 10 gal tanks til I need a rack.
    Should i go ahead and start building a rack cause i wanna breed alot of mice but first I wanna start kinda small like 3 colonies than work my way up quickly with homegrown babies so how fast can i produce starting with 3 1.4 colonies like whats the fastest if they are full potential breeding? sorry for all the questions I've just had alot of mice breeding failures so I wanna get it right.
    Last edited by RodentTom; 01-05-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks

Re: Questions on breeding mice (first time breeder)

Quote Originally Posted by RodentTom View Post
    Ok let me first start by saying I'm new here
    second i want you all to know i breed rats before i ask these questions.
    So for breeding mice the proper temps are 70-75?, is 72 good? Yup
    A ratio of 1.4 should produce good?
    You can do more or less, once you get a good group together it doesnt matter
    Can i put prego mom in a birthing cage with other prego moms or moms that already have pups like you can rats? I always could, but other people have had trouble with it. I just keep all mine together Prego or about to be.
    If not can i leave the males in with the pups? I do, but again it might go wrong the first time or two you try
    I've read on here alot that the main reason females don't get prego is because a blank shooting male? Males are the problem 99% of the time. If the male is good, you will see Prego females after a month, theres been so many times that I find a male that has a color I like, and he just doesnt breed. Now I go and look to find a male thats breeding then and there LOL I find albino males breed the best.
    Now here is how I plan on keeping them, I already have 2 zytem mouse size cages can 1.4 fit in those if not what ratio can? Go for it
    I also plan on using some 10 gal tanks til I need a rack. Should i go ahead and start building a rack cause. Thats fine, just watch out, the water bottles like to get chewed
    wanna breed alot of mice but first I wanna start kinda small like 3 colonies than work my way up quickly with homegrown babies so how fast can i produce starting with 3 1.4 colonies like whats the fastest if they are full potential breeding? sorry for all the questions I've just had alot of mice breeding failures so I wanna get it right.
    All my anwers are in red. With mice, its just a thing you have to find out how yourself what works. Look me up on youtube, my name is Beardedragon and I have a few Rodent videos, you can see how I did it, and its no where near Ordinary!!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Re: Questions on breeding mice (first time breeder)

Thank you so much cause this post wasnt getting started lol and i didnt think anyone would reply.But I went to the pet shop yesterday they said i couldnt go in the backroom to see the mice (stupid) so i told them to bring me 10 mice, i looked in the boxes and saw they were good looking mice so i bought all 10 only like $16.50 so it was a pretty good deal and i got pretty lucky because when i checked the sexes i had just enough females for a 1.4 colony,so out of the 10 there was 6 boys of course lol you always get alot of boys and there was 4 girls so i have 5 boys in the other zytem lab style mouse cage by theirself lol so i need some females