Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,690

1 members and 2,689 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Finally getting my first ball. Have a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    Everyone seems to have covered the husbandry, so I won't add to that. But I think the most missed oppoortunity for the owner of an adoptive snakeis to ask the previous owner a few questions.

1. What is he feeding the snake? If he's feeding it large mice and you try rat pups, the snake may not eat causing you to stress.

Feeding a live adult mouse.

2. When did he feed the snake? Some snakes like to be fed at a regular time and will not take prey as easily as when they are usually fed.

Says he feeds once a week every wednesday

3. How many days between feedings? Some young snakes like to eat every 4-5 days, others eat every 7.

7 days

3. What temps did he keep the snake? Ideally we should all keep our snakes at the same temps, but some don't. If he kept the snake at room temperature (yes, it done all the time from people that don't know any better), putting him into a 92 degree tank could shock the snake into not eating.

Here is the part I am concerned about and would like advice. He said he isnt too picky on temp and the setup comes with a heat lamp so Im assuming there is only ambient temp. How should I set my temps in order to get this snake comfortable to a heat gradient without disrupting his feeding?

Thanks

Setup the tank with a UTH and a rheostat/dimmer switch from Home Depot. It's about $10, it's a white cord with the sliding dimmer on one end. Plug the UTH into the dimmer. Start with a little bit of heat, and gradually bring up the heat to about 90 degrees above the UTH. I'd say take about 10-14 days to gradually bring the temps up to where they need to be. If you have a store that you can buy one of the little temp guns, shoot the area above the UTH every day to check the temps. Adjust the dimmer switch just a little every day to bring up the temps maybe just 2 degrees each day.

There are many people here that are willing to help you. Just ask. Don't worry about it. Just ask, no matter what the question.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks

Also I read all u need in some terra cotta pots with a hole broken in them for hides, Is this true? IF so Ill go out and pick some up today also I went and looked at bedding and I was thinking of getting the aspen shavings but there was also the reptibark which was recommended to me by another snake owner I know. Is there any advantages to either? If not Im just going to go get the aspen. Im also having trouble finding a Digital thermometer/hygrometer locally. Any suggestions? My other questions is I read that you want to have a water dish big enough for him to soak but then I also read on another caresheet that it is not neccesary. Should I get one for hm to soak in just to be safe?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nmalnar View Post
    Also I read all u need in some terra cotta pots with a hole broken in them for hides, Is this true? IF so Ill go out and pick some up today also I went and looked at bedding and I was thinking of getting the aspen shavings but there was also the reptibark which was recommended to me by another snake owner I know. Is there any advantages to either? If not Im just going to go get the aspen. Im also having trouble finding a Digital thermometer/hygrometer locally. Any suggestions? My other questions is I read that you want to have a water dish big enough for him to soak but then I also read on another caresheet that it is not neccesary. Should I get one for hm to soak in just to be safe?
    You can use anything as a hide as long as it's the proper size. nothing too big and of course not too small.

In my opinion, Aspen is easy to work with. I also believe it's less expensive too. But I guess it's really a personal opinion. Maybe try both and see what you think.

I think you can find digi therms at Home Depot. They come with 6 ft probes. As for the hygro, I don't know if a digi is needed. Again, a personal preference in my opinion.

If all of the husbandry is correct, your snake won't have the need to soak. If it has a bad shed, you can soak him in a sink and help with removing the shed skin. HOWEVER, a larger bowl does help with the humidity in the tank. Most breeders will have a 4 inch bowl in the tubs, so as you can see, it's not neccessary.

Hope This Helps,
    Jim Smith

Thanks

I was thinking about purchasing this temp gun that way I can use it on my beardies cage as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93984

I was reading thorugh the thread on how to setup a glass aquarium and it said to use repticarpet on the bottom os the snake wont get burned from coming into contasct with the glass directly above the uth but you guys were saying that repticarpet is bad because it harbors bacteria. Should I put something like newspaper on the bottom than substrate so he doesnt come into contact with the uth?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions. I just want to get this right because Ive never even held a snake before let alone own one, im just used to my lizards which have different requirements.

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Thats the same temp gun I have and I love it,for the best reading hold the temp gun about 3 inches from your target, you can use newspaper ( I prefer unprinted because inked newspapers smells like hell after a bomb drop) or you can use aspen.
    Last edited by iCandiBallPythons; 01-01-2010 at 03:48 AM.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

Ok so I finally got the tank setup for him. I have it at about 78 degrees above the uth and ill slowly bring it up to 90 over the next week or so. Here are some pictures finally.

Overall cage setup. I left the stick on thermometer in there but im using a temp gun I purchased today.

The new baby boy.

Already settling in.

Last edited by nmalnar; 01-03-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks

go to walmart or the dollar tree and buy more coverage, i have our baby in a 20L and i make like he's in a jungle, he loves to crawl around it at night. i would say go to micheals but the one were im at got expensive all of a sudden

Thanks

Decorate the tank for the way you like it. The snake won't care. Give him a hide and water and he's happy.

Jim Smith

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

It might be a good idea to cover the back and sides of the tank with dark paper or foam core board, just to add a bit more security.
    ~Steffe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast