Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,213

1 members and 1,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Temperatures

Thanks

Temperatures

What is the coldest temperature and the highest temperature a mouse can comfortably live in? I ask because where will will be moving to in February there is a shed in the backyard. It has a ton of gaps to the outside that I would have to board up, and it needs new doors, but it would make a good rodent/garden shed. How could I go about insulating it if it needs it?
    Under Construction.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Temperatures

Sheds only work if you have good ventilation and able to keep temps between 60-80. Anything below or above those temps will cause non breeding behavior.

My mice are kept in same room as snakes which is 81 and they beed well. Mice and rats will breed well with consistent temps.

Thanks

Well the reason I would like to use this shed for the rodents is we are moving into a 3 bedroom house. Our roommate will have one bedroom and we will have two bedrooms. One bedroom will be for our ferrets. They are getting their own room because with 4 ferrets, they NEED the room. The other bedroom will be ours and we will be keeping our bird and snakes in that bedroom. So adding in a ton of breeding rats and we won't have space to walk as the rooms are not very big (average sized rooms). We cannot keep rodents down in the common living areas because she has big dogs who are very very nosy and I wouldn't want to risk a tub getting opened or tipped over while I'm not home.
    Under Construction.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    Well the reason I would like to use this shed for the rodents is we are moving into a 3 bedroom house. Our roommate will have one bedroom and we will have two bedrooms. One bedroom will be for our ferrets. They are getting their own room because with 4 ferrets, they NEED the room. The other bedroom will be ours and we will be keeping our bird and snakes in that bedroom. So adding in a ton of breeding rats and we won't have space to walk as the rooms are not very big (average sized rooms). We cannot keep rodents down in the common living areas because she has big dogs who are very very nosy and I wouldn't want to risk a tub getting opened or tipped over while I'm not home.
    Just have to give them steady temps outside with good ventilation so the smell dont build up, which will also stop breeding if their dirty

Thanks

I will try and take pictures of the shed and post them up to get some ideas on how to best turn it into a rodent shed.
    Under Construction.....