Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,749

1 members and 2,748 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New owner need some help

I just got my BP "Nora" form a friend about 4 days ago, never owned a BP befor and all the stuff i have was given to me, i wanna do this right a keep her as healthy as possible.

im having a difficult time keeping the tempture and humidity up

I have 250v heat lamp, ReptiTherm heater, and heat rock all on a timer (Zilla Power Center)

But the temp moves between 75 and 81 degrees im not sure i have the timer going off enough hoping some has a similar setup that can help.
    As for the humidity it stays between 50 and 60 % but i cant get it any higher, i have the heating pad under her water dish and the heat lamp on the same side of the tank, i mist the sides of the tank with a spray bottle a couple times a day but i cant keep it up for any long peird of time.

thank you for any help and advice

Thanks

Re: New owner need some help

I'm far from an expert on the matter, but i believe i read somewhere that you don't need to worry about humidity with a BP. As long as they have a water dish they will be fine. I also read that they don't like warm water so you may want to move the heating pad someplace else.

Thanks

do yourself a favor and remove the heat rock from the enclosure... many a snake have KILLED themselves with them.

your humidity isnt TERRIBLE so just keep misting it and cover the top of the enclosure with foil to hold the humidity in.
    0.1 normal bp
    1.0 pastel bp
    1.1 100% het hypo bp
    0.1 bci
    1.1 crested gecko
    0.1 day gecko
    1.0 african grey parrot
    0.2 dogs

Thanks

Ditch the hot rock -- these are guilty of causing many a serious burn to reptile bellies.

I'm sure others will be along soon to give you more detailed advise, but please search the site and check out the stickies for a lot of good info on BP husbandry.
    Would you breed a wobbler dog even though it had a cool coat?

Thanks

remove the heat rock ... ASAP
    1.0 black back
    0.1 black back 100% het albino
    0.1 normal 66% het albino
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Thanks

thank you for the help i unplugged the heat rock the last owner had a hole in the bottom of the tank for the cord so i cant remove it atm but i will asap also added the tin foil to the lid and is already making a difference, increased about 10%

one thing i forgot to mention why im so conserned about the humidity is she had a bad shed befor i got her and about 1/3 of her skin is still on, i seen a way to do it in another thread but i dont think she is used to me yet and spends 90% of her time in her hide.

Thanks

she will be in her hide 95% of the time even when she is use to you its just natural ... you can try giving her a 10 minute soak in the bathtub with warm water it will help losen the stuck shed and also you can make a humidity box from a tupperware container(that she can fit into) cover with lid cut hole in lid big enough for her to get in and out fill with some water and she might soak herself if not the bath tub always work soak her then take her out and with a wet facecloth let her climb in and out of it in your hand so she can rub the stuck shed off after the soak in the tub
    1.0 black back
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Novak View Post
    I just got my BP "Nora" form a friend about 4 days ago, never owned a BP befor and all the stuff i have was given to me, i wanna do this right a keep her as healthy as possible.

im having a difficult time keeping the tempture and humidity up

I have 250v heat lamp, ReptiTherm heater, and heat rock all on a timer (Zilla Power Center)

But the temp moves between 75 and 81 degrees im not sure i have the timer going off enough hoping some has a similar setup that can help.
    As for the humidity it stays between 50 and 60 % but i cant get it any higher, i have the heating pad under her water dish and the heat lamp on the same side of the tank, i mist the sides of the tank with a spray bottle a couple times a day but i cant keep it up for any long peird of time.thank you for any help and advice
    Heat rock....super bad...get rid of it as it is very dangerous. If you have a screen top on the cage try to get some plexiglass cut to cover it and that should solve the humidity issue. Easier than that I just use aluminum foil. You may need a bigger UTH on a thermostat to heat up the warm side to like 92......the cool side should be 82-83. Get rid of the light if you can...that will also help out your humidity. Also and just to make sure....have 2 hides one on the cool side and one of the warm side.

Take a look at the care sheet on this site as it is an excellent source of information. It helped me so much when I first started! Good luck to you.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

would it be a good idea to remove her from her hide to give her a bath to remove the skin?

Thanks

yes you can remove them anytime you want ... dont be afraid to handle her ... the more you handle the better she will be with you i have 5 as of right now usually when they are young i will handle just about everyday whether its for 10 min or 1/2 hour my older ones get handled every 2-3 days
    1.0 black back
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast