Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,459

1 members and 2,458 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Interested in learning about arboreal snakes

I have been perusing the snake forums ever since I got my Ball Python, Serena (about 3 months ago). I have recently became interested in actually owning an arboreal snake, however, do not know anything about the different species of arboreals. I was wondering if anyone here could direct me to a good place to learn of the different breeds, temperments, keeping, etc. I would prefer one that can be handled safely occasionally.

Thank you all for your help,

Nixie

1 Normal Ball Python - Serena
    1 Normal Corn - Omar

Thanks

Re: Interested in learning about arboreal snakes

Most arboreals aren't snakes that do well being handled, or at least not the ones I've dealt with. You could start with a carpet python though, they're semi-arboreal and just great snakes, and can be handled regularly. There's a good caresheet on this site for them, or google them and there's lots of info out there.

If you want to check out some other species though, look at Emerald Tree boas, amazon tree boas, green tree pythons
    Last edited by MattU; 12-24-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks

"Captive Bred" chondro's and emeralds are usually pretty docile after a year or so old. I know plenty of people who handle thier arboreal's. I dont just because they dont need to be handled. To be honest with you, im really wanting a basin emerald lately. Anyway here's one of my very friendly female chondro's!

Thanks

She's gorgeous judd, I think I'm gonna pick up a gtp next year sometime. Been wanting one a long while but haven't been able to afford it.

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

http://www.amazon-alliance.com/forums/

I have two Amazon Tree Boa's. They are much different than Balls. I have heard that people can tame them not to be munchin machines. I have one that was a rescue and I'm fairly certain she was a wild caught and she is just plain hateful but I love her to pieces anyway.
    I also have a large male. He's much calmer than my female but I think he would bite the p--- out of me too given the chance. They are just a different snake. Great for display, not cuddly. At least mine aren't
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by singingtothewheat View Post
    http://www.amazon-alliance.com/forums/

I have two Amazon Tree Boa's. They are much different than Balls. I have heard that people can tame them not to be munchin machines. I have one that was a rescue and I'm fairly certain she was a wild caught and she is just plain hateful but I love her to pieces anyway.
    I also have a large male. He's much calmer than my female but I think he would bite the p--- out of me too given the chance. They are just a different snake. Great for display, not cuddly. At least mine aren't
    Same here, I love my atb, but she's mean as hell. I love her attitude. Here's a shot of her

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

This is Izzabella, who is evil, wicked, mean and nasty but I totally love her.

This is Jetta, a friend gifted him to me as a reward for rescuing Izzabella and getting her healthy. He's much less evil.... but I still think he'd just tag the piss out of me if I gave him a chance. lol

I think you pretty much have to love the attitude if you want a Amazon Tree Boa, but like I said, I have had people tell me about successful attempts to hand train them.
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks

Very nice! Yeah you gotta appreciate their take-no-crap attitude ha, I got mine frm a guy who had rescued her, but was scared of her I think. You reach your hand in there, shell cross the cage just to bite ya lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Well I can't seem to get a non blurry picture because she wont stop moving around but Its my baby amazon, in shed, being handled on feeding day (death sentence right?). she doesn't even attempt to bite me anymore, also got a chondro thats puppy dog tame, so was my older chondro that passed away. I've never had a snake i wasn't able to work with, right now my worst one is my pinstripe and thats because she hisses. also have 3 carpets and the jag is by far my tamest animal.

each animal has its own personality and that personality is shaped by alot of things, i think how it was raised plays the biggest role. thier like children, early years play a big part, don't let people sterotype species of snakes.

heres a non blurry pic tho...
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 12-27-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: add pic

Thanks

I suggest you find any and every site you can with experienced arboreal boid information. Everyone does it different and a lot of them are very successful! You need to know exactly what you're looking for and what you will be getting yourself into. I can post you a thousand photos of me holding almost every chondro in my rack, but I don't want to lure you into a false sense of security. These animals (chondros or etbs) are not as nasty as their reputation is. They deserve a lot of respect and a lifetime with a dedicated owner to meet their needs. First step is manning up and doing research and preparing for your new super- ultra cool snake (I'm a little one sided when it comes to arboreal snakes ) Rico has a very affordable book that he wrote. ( signalherp.com) He also has care sheets and "can you hold these animals" if you troll the site. Rico is an amazing guy and produces some spectacular animals.

BTW, if you own a solid red ATB... I hate you with jealousy. Super gorgeous! I'm not much for them but those I might make an exception for...or get a red eye lash
    Last edited by DavidG; 12-28-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!