Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,056

0 members and 3,056 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Local Reptile Owners Fighting Proposed Snake Ban

YORK COUNTY, PA - A ban on giant snakes is slithering through Congress. The bill, introduced by a Florida Senator, is gaining support among lawmakers. Many reptile owners however are not in favor.

The ban would include nine giant constrictor snakes, like Burmese pythons, anacondas, and boa constrictors. It would stop people from being able to import the reptiles, as well as transfer them from state to state.

Christie Stoudt of York County has always been interested in reptiles. Her first pet was a garter snake. She purchased a ball python just two months ago.

"I researched for 6 months, I bought books, I did information on the computer, I belong to forums, I talked to breeders," said Stoudt.

Stoudt, who would eventually like to breed snakes, is concerned about the ban.

"Say you had to move to another state, you are not allowed to take your snake with you to another state, your choice would be to euthanize," said Stoudt.

The bill is an effort to stop snake owners from abandoning the pets. Dr. Randon Feinsod, with Ani-Care Animal Hospital in York County, is also against the ban, especially in tough economic times.

"The reptile industry draws about $3 billion a year, $1 billion of that is considered to be revenue driven from large snakes," said Dr. Feinsod.

Dr. Feinsod says breeders often do their best business across state lines, the ban would prohibit that.

"There are reptile swap meets, reptile shows, where people go to view the animals, buy the animals, swap out breeders, things like that can draw people from several states away," said Dr. Feinsod.

Dr. Feinsod agrees there should be some regulations. He suggests forcing pet owners to have permits. He also says implanting microchips in snakes would help.

Dr. Feinsod and members of various local reptile organizations are sending letters to several senators on board with the proposal.

The bill is currently before the Senate.

http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-snake...,4432087.story
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ER12 For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (12-24-2009),Denial (12-24-2009),FatBoy (12-24-2009),Foschi Exotic Serpents (12-23-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Local Reptile Owners Fighting Proposed Snake Ban

Thanks for sharing that! Christie is a member here!