Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,928

1 members and 2,927 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Dehydrated or getting ready to shed

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...mageuser=15265

can someone please look at these and tell me if she is dehydrated or getting ready to shed. I have my day temps at 91 and 82 and humidity at 60 night is 88 and 79 humidity same. I just got her and she hasnt shed yet. when i got her she was nice as could but she is starting to get tempermental and balling up. Also i have tried to soak her and she wants out of the water any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Dehydrated or getting ready to shed

Hi,

Hard to say - her back end looks more like she just recently took a huge poop. How is she eating for you? I ask because if she hadn't ever eaten it would look similar but would be a lot more worrying.

Her head though does look as though it has a retained shed on it but a better picture would be needed to be absolutely sure. Has her belly started tuning pink and did you notice a blue haze over her eyes at any point?

If so whan did that go away?

When you soak them do it in a sealable container ( not airtight though please ) and have the water about 86f and only half way up their body not any deeper.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

jaybird0399 (12-21-2009)

Thanks

She doesn't really look in shed, i would say she just needs some food and a drink honestly.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steveboos For This Useful Post:

jaybird0399 (12-21-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

you could possibly if not already move her to every 3 days feeding. All hatchlings here are fed 3 days till 400 grams then moved to 5 days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

jaybird0399 (12-21-2009)

Thanks

I got her 3 days ago, I am going to feed her tomorrow. The breeder tried to feed her the day before i got her and she didnt take but she did eat four days before that. I am also going to soak her tomorrow. if she isnt drinking what is the best way to get her drinking. Is my temp and humidity good. Thanks for all the help

Thanks

Her belly looks a little pink but not to much.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

well you could try taking a live mouse fuzzy or hopper or a rat fuzzy and leaving it in with her over night. Since their too small to harm the snake. If your not comfortable you can lay a thawed rat/mouse in the cage and cover the cage for total darkness. This may get the lil guy to eat.

Also if you have a 6qt tub set that up for him till he eats well for you.

If her belly has ANY slight pinkness to it, usually means shed is coming.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

jaybird0399 (12-21-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Ah,

If you don't mind me asking which breeder did you get her from?

Has she pooped since you have had her?

You really shouldn't be handling them for the first week at least to give them time to settle into their new environment and feel secure. In fact if you can be strong enough it's best not to handle them too much until they are eating on a regular basis.

You temps seem fine ( maybe bump the hot end a couple of degrees but that's it ) though I would try and avoid any night time drop in general - though yours is small enough not to be a major problem.

The main thing though is to work out how and where you are reading those temps - not all thermometers were created equal.

If you want to put up pics and descriptions of the enclosure and equipment we could double check everything for you.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

jaybird0399 (12-21-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Ah,

If you don't mind me asking which breeder did you get her from?

Has she pooped since you have had her?

You really shouldn't be handling them for the first week at least to give them time to settle into their new environment and feel secure. In fact if you can be strong enough it's best not to handle them too much until they are eating on a regular basis.

You temps seem fine ( maybe bump the hot end a couple of degrees but that's it ) though I would try and avoid any night time drop in general - though yours is small enough not to be a major problem.

The main thing though is to work out how and where you are reading those temps - not all thermometers were created equal.

If you want to put up pics and descriptions of the enclosure and equipment we could double check everything for you.

dr del
    +1
    If this is a newly snake PLEASE let is settle in for 7 more days starting TODAY and do not bother it till day 7 to offer food. One he eats then offer every 3 days.

Pictures will be helpful of the setup, Use photobucket for posting your pictures in the thread.

We need to know temps,humidity,cage size, how are you heating it,

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

jaybird0399 (12-21-2009)

Thanks

Here is 2 more pictures. I have a 20 gallon tank. I have 2 hides one on the hot side and one on the cool side a uth under the hot side hide thermostat regulated i keep it at 89. also have a lamp with 50 watt bulb. I have a decent size fake tree in the middle and a water bowl also i have 2 thermometers and one hygrometer. One thermo and hygro is in the center of the cage and one thermo is on the hot side i only have dials not digital they were out am hopefully getting those tomorrow. she hasnt pooped yet since i have had her and i have a small cage to feed her in. has been eating frozen/thawed fuzzies

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast