Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

0 members and 3,209 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Retic Reclassification? Can we?

Obviously, this inscient political obtuseness is really ticking me off, and I have contacted all of my state representatives (and unless I'm getting lip service, I think SC is oppsed to all this silliness), and also spent hours on the phone with administrative lackies from other states. I hope all of you are doing the same.

Let's fight the good fight, but let's try to get creative in case of "worst case scenario." If this python ban comes to fruition, can we try to reclassify some of the secondary integraded species? For example, if retics are on the list, that should include superdwarfs. If I were a breeder of superdwarfs, I would be on the horn with taxonomists trying to get a new distinct taxonomic designation. Unfortunately, I think it will only bring about a change in subspecies name, but it's worth a shot.

All we have right now is our voice and our vote, but this taxonomy thing is just one idea, and it might not be a solution, but I'm putting it out there so that perhaps it can be a jump off point for better ideas. I don't think that hybridization of all the giants is a solution at all, but I hope that after all of our efforts, if this thing passes, we don't just roll over.

Thanks

Re: Retic Reclassification? Can we?

Doubt that highly.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GenePirate View Post
    Obviously, this inscient political obtuseness is really ticking me off, and I have contacted all of my state representatives (and unless I'm getting lip service, I think SC is oppsed to all this silliness), and also spent hours on the phone with administrative lackies from other states. I hope all of you are doing the same.

Let's fight the good fight, but let's try to get creative in case of "worst case scenario." If this python ban comes to fruition, can we try to reclassify some of the secondary integraded species? For example, if retics are on the list, that should include superdwarfs. If I were a breeder of superdwarfs, I would be on the horn with taxonomists trying to get a new distinct taxonomic designation. Unfortunately, I think it will only bring about a change in subspecies name, but it's worth a shot.

All we have right now is our voice and our vote, but this taxonomy thing is just one idea, and it might not be a solution, but I'm putting it out there so that perhaps it can be a jump off point for better ideas. I don't think that hybridization of all the giants is a solution at all, but I hope that after all of our efforts, if this thing passes, we don't just roll over.
    I brought up the exact same thing in a worst case scenario. I also believe the dwarf and super species of the retics, burmese AND the dwarf locality species of BCC (hogg island etc..) need to be reclassified.

You can feed an SD retic a rat twice the size of the snakes middle, every 7 days and they just dont grow once they reach the maximum size.

They are clearly not the same snake.

Registered User Wretched Deviant's Avatar
    Thanks

It would make sense and be a loophole for keepers of the snakes but at the same time I think it's not very likely to happen, they don't classify miniature, toys, and teacup dogs (no, I don't believe they're real dogs but more deformed and underdeveloped) as a different taxonomic group than normal dogs of that species (or at least, if they do, I'm not aware of it) so why would they change the taxonomic group for snakes? Unless you can track down enough taxonomists that would support this I'm very doubtful that it would happen but...it's possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    I brought up the exact same thing in a worst case scenario. I also believe the dwarf and super species of the retics, burmese AND the dwarf locality species of BCC (hogg island etc..) need to be reclassified.

You can feed an SD retic a rat twice the size of the snakes middle, every 7 days and they just dont grow once they reach the maximum size.

They are clearly not the same snake.
    D'OH! I didn't see that post. I will humbly ride on your coattails and support your original, astute, and forward-thinking strategy to counter their attack. Laboratories do it with drugs, or they used to,--just add a side chain to an illegal performance-enhancing drug, and since it's a new chemical formula it's not on the banned list. Voila!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched Deviant View Post
    It would make sense and be a loophole for keepers of the snakes but at the same time I think it's not very likely to happen, they don't classify miniature, toys, and teacup dogs (no, I don't believe they're real dogs but more deformed and underdeveloped) as a different taxonomic group than normal dogs of that species (or at least, if they do, I'm not aware of it) so why would they change the taxonomic group for snakes? Unless you can track down enough taxonomists that would support this I'm very doubtful that it would happen but...it's possible.
    except all dogs are canis familiaris (i cant spell this :/ sorry) and are not naturally occurring, they were selectively bred. There are subspecies of wolves after the grey wolf (canius lupus) the mexican wolf, the red wolf, etc.

Dwarf retics and the locality boas are naturally occurring animals that differ from their larger counterparts in more than just size. Most of the locality boas i know have very specific scale counts that set them off from BCC/BCI. We didn't breed them for that, they came that way already. There are other snakes that have locality and specific species differences (think about kings and greybands).

I think there is definitely a case for reclassification, but theres a lot of stuff that needs to be done in the interim methinks.

Thanks

I doubt there is a strong enough case for reclassification. The super dwarfs are just a population that exhibit small body size and exchange minimal gene flow with other populations in the wild. This happens frequently on islands. Creating a subspecies is not out of the question but very difficult to define.
    Last edited by zoologist; 12-20-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoologist View Post
    I doubt there is a strong enough case for reclassification. The super dwarfs are just a population that exhibit small body size and exchange minimal gene flow with other populations in the wild. This happens frequently on islands. Creating a subspecies is not out of the question but very difficult to define.
    Despair. I really like the super dwarf super tigers, and if this legislation passes, it will be disabling to own one. We move around a bit.