Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,646

1 members and 1,645 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Humidity Too High, Cool Side Temp Too Low

I thought I had my set up to where it needed to be, but I am having some issues...would appreciate any suggestions.

Facts are I have a 16qt Rubbermaid with newspaper on the ground, a hide on either side and a ceramic water dish on the cool side. Used a soldering iron to melt a row of holes all the way around spaced about and inch apart. UTH with thermostat and digital temp/humidity probe put underneath the newspaper on the floor of the warm side.

Warm side temp is fine (90-91degrees) but the cool side temp wont get much higher than room temperature in my place which is around (68-72degrees). Furthermore, the humidity has been up around 70-85Rh.

My girl has been in her warm hide almost every time I walk by, which is why I haven't been too worried as that temp is fine...but what the heck do I do about the other issues?

Melt more holes to lower humidity? Get a heat lamp for the "cool" side? It not feasible to raise the room temp of my place any higher than it is so I really am stumped here on achieving this temp gradient. Thanks for any help.
    0.1 Pastel

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Humidity Too High, Cool Side Temp Too Low

This is the tricky part with single setup tubs. The cool side temperature won't get much higher than room temperature. Most people have tubs in a rack setup which helps to hold in a bit more heat.

you have a couple options though:

1. get a space heater for the room
    2. get another UTH for the cool side and put it a dimmer in between the UTH and the thermostat.
    ~Steffe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

steveboos (12-16-2009)

Registered User Southernshooter's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as heat you can try what Kaorte said, Also what kind of surface is the tub sitting on. If the tub is on bare floor or wooden table or anything that is cold to your touch try putting something between the tub and surface even if it is just a pair of old blue jeans since demin handles heat better than a towel or something like that. To lower the humidity get a smaller water bowl
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Slinkie) 1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Picasso) 0.1 Yellow Nigerian Uromastyx (Elvira) 0.0.1 Asian Forest Scorpion (Punisher) 0.0.1 Dune Scorpion (Lightning) 0.0.1 Tailless whip Scorpion (Flat Stanley) 1.0 Golden Retriever (Cajun) 0.1 Incredible Girlfriend (Michelle)

Thanks

Sounds good...i guess my next question would be: having this be the circumstance, if i am unable to get the cool side up in temp to ~80degrees, how much of an issue would it really be? in theory, since I do have the warm side up to temp...shouldn't the snake still be able to thermoregulate? if it needs to cool down, it will still be able to do so on the cool side but it will just happen much quicker and then the snake can return to the warm end as needed. like I said, I have yet to see my snake hanging out anywhere other than the warm hide so I assume she is happy. let me know if that makes sense or not. cheers.
    0.1 Pastel

Thanks

iv got the same issue as you , were you able to fix it? im gonna try the jeans and what others suggested. and i would wish your question was answered to since i think like you that she still should be able to thermoregulate.

Thanks

I have a similar problem with my cool side temp being room temp which is my house temp around 68-72... If a good hot spot is provided at 90 degrees is this detrimental to the health of my snakes?
    1.0 Mojave BP
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Geochelone sulcataSulcata Tortoise
    1.0 Crested Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would try to insulate the tub to hold the heat better. Also think about the fact that heat rises. Place the tub as high as possible in the room, and not near any doors or windows.