Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,020

1 members and 3,019 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Who would be interested ...

... in a coordinated conference/lobbying event in Washington DC during the first part of 2010?

The National Pet Association is in the process of developing plans for a 3 day Responsible Pet Ownership Conference in Washington, DC sometime in early spring. The theme of the conference will be Current & Future Political Challenges Faced by American Reptile Owners. The plan would be to hold the event annually with a different theme each year.

The agenda would start with a welcome event on Saturday late afternoon/early evening followed by a fundraiser/auction to raise money for the organizations involved in the conference. Then Sunday morning there would be presentations by groups involved in lobbying on behalf of pet owners detailing the groups mission and an overview of their current efforts and future plans. During the day on Sunday there would be short break out sessions that cover tips for effectively meeting with your Representatives and their staff, delivering an effective message, and organizing grass roots efforts in your own state. The conference would end on Sunday with an open Q&A town hall style meeting where attendees could ask questions directly to the leadership of the groups fighting for our future.

For those that would like to stay until Monday, there would be an organized "lobby day" on Capital Hill. We would break down into small groups and meeting directly with the Representatives from your home state in order to discuss the political issues that concern you the most.

If the future of this hobby is going to be continued political battles, we better start thinking about developing a "boot camp" for pet owners. NatPET hopes that this event will turn out to be the first step in that direction.

Any input (good, bad, or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated. If it's something that you would consider attending, we'd love to hear that as well.

Thanks!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Re: Who would be interested ...

I love too but I too dam broke anymore to even think of such a trip ( and I am somewhat local ) it take me about 2 tanks of fuel to get from lower de there . ( took me little over 1/2 tank to go 200 miles to pick up a rescue ball python.) but man I love to have a chance ot go...
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

Wow Adam, if I had the means to get up to DC for the weekend I would be there for sure, but as of now I don't see that as being a possibility but I will definately try my best. This event you describe is exactly what our community needs to show our determination to keep the animals we love and to have the even in that lawmakers backyard is even better. Great idea and I think this will do wonders for the fight and certainly many others to come. Thanks for representing us in person in DC Adam, you're doing a great job, and keep informing us on our next move though Natpet.org.
    Custom reptile and amphibian enclosures! As well as other custom wood working.

Thanks

I would definitely be there for something like that.

Thanks

I'd most definatly be interested! Just need the know the dates to inform my job when the time comes.

Maybe once it gets closer, we can see if anyone who cannot make the drive can carpool with someone else? Maybe find some price efficient hotels? See if anyone is willing to share a room to help ct costs per person? I'd hate to see someone not be able to go b/c of expense, especially if they are close to Washington DC....

just a thought about the costs....

Thanks

im up for it. Ill walk to dc if I have to

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sounds great Adam...count me in. The carpool idea ain't bad. Anyone south of NC that wants to ride with me is welcome, just be willing to drive as far as Fayetteville, NC and you can ride.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd most definitely be interested! Would need to see what my funds were like, but put me down as tentative!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I am game. I can probably even drag Sean with me as well.

Keep us posted.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Sounds great Adam...count me in. The carpool idea ain't bad. Anyone south of NC that wants to ride with me is welcome, just be willing to drive as far as Fayetteville, NC and you can ride.
    Greenville sc?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast