Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,747

2 members and 2,745 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Extinction of a species thank you HSUS

The U.S government is fixing to be the direct cause of the extinction of an entire species of animals. Since there is no distinction of what "Boa Constrictors" are not included I fear we may see the end of a species. The Hogg Island Boa is a species that no longer exists in the wild. Every specimen known to exist is currently in the hands of private breeders and keepers. By adding this to the Lacy Act it totally does away with the hope of reintroducing them into the wild or rebuilding wild populations. This also means that the breeders that keep them can't even hope to continue..

Thank you PETA and HSUS..your now the sole reason an endangered species is going to be extinct.
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 12-14-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

bdevillier19 (12-14-2009),dc4teg (12-15-2009),Foschi Exotic Serpents (12-14-2009),GregBennett (12-15-2009),steveboos (12-15-2009)

Thanks

Re: The Extinction of a species thank you HSUS

Yea we were just talking about that at work the other day... but what do they care? They're getting their $$$ and taking some rights. That's all that matters to them.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

This may not be true.

America is not the only place in the world these snakes are being worked with and there is some hope of some of the islands still having some snakes, not much, but some.

I totally agree that hsus and peta suck bigtime though.

We need to keep to the facts not our emotions. If statements like that are made, which are not true, it is fuel for them, hsus and peta, to show that we do not only not have the facts but distort them to our benefit.

Re-introduction is laudable but not practical. At least not now. I think staying away, for the time being, from the topic of re-introduction would serve us better than publicizing plans to release snakes back into the wild.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

I'm honestly so tired of all of this crap with the government involving bans and such, it seems like they have something new every week now. This has gotten old real fast. The saddest part is the majority of these people in government have no idea what they're talking about, so they seek these half wit "experts" to fill them in on it.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    This may not be true.

America is not the only place in the world these snakes are being worked with and there is some hope of some of the islands still having some snakes, not much, but some.

I totally agree that hsus and peta suck bigtime though.

We need to keep to the facts not our emotions. If statements like that are made, which are not true, it is fuel for them, hsus and peta, to show that we do not only not have the facts but distort them to our benefit.

Re-introduction is laudable but not practical. At least not now. I think staying away, for the time being, from the topic of re-introduction would serve us better than publicizing plans to release snakes back into the wild.
    This doesn't change the fact the fact that they are endangered at best..While we are not the only country working with them the impact of completely doing away with the exportation and further breeding for sale has not even been considered or studied at this point.. Hell they didn't even take the time to separate the "Boa" Species.

This will have an impact on the species..Make No Mistake.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    This doesn't change the fact the fact that they are endangered at best..While we are not the only country working with them the impact of completely doing away with the exportation and further breeding for sale has not even been considered or studied at this point.. Hell they didn't even take the time to separate the "Boa" Species.

This will have an impact on the species..Make No Mistake.
    No doubt.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Angry Re: The Extinction of a species thank you HSUS

Same with Sabogae "Pearl Island" boas.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    Same with Sabogae "Pearl Island" boas.
    I knew there was one more but didn't want to say which cause I didn't know for sure.. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    I knew there was one more but didn't want to say which cause I didn't know for sure.. Thanks
    I own a pair and would be extremly upset if I had to give them up. They are extremely rare and are most likely extinct in the wild. I love all of my snakes, but my Sabogaes are the ones that I am most fond of. You are right, there are many boa species that would become extinct of not for herpers.
    Last edited by Wh00h0069; 12-14-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Subspecies, not species--not less of a tragedy, but it's important to keep the nomenclature straight (especially when the bill originally couldn't seem to do that).

Boa constrictor is the species. All the rest are subspecies.

Other species of boa such as Epicrates cenchria, or Boa dumerili, are not listed on the bill.

Not all subspecies of Boa constrictor are giant snakes--and the dwarf burm and super-dwarf retic are not either. They will all fall under the listing in this bill, though.

I was suprised to find that we have an unexpected ally in the garment industry. We may dislike the idea of snake skins used to make boots, but Western clothing manufacturers dislike the idea of not being able to import Burm skins any longer. That puts them on our side for now.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast