Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

0 members and 2,931 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Any Parrotlet owners out there?

I have fallen in love with these guys! They are adorable, small, and seem like a lot of fun. My 9-year-old Budgie died this fall and I have been hesitant on getting another one. She was a great bird, but I think for my next I'd like something either more interactive (like a parrotlet or cockatiel) or just ornamental (canary, finches...but those are no fun ).

I have been doing a lot of research and would either adopt a bird or go through a knowledgeable breeder.

Any advice, tips or stories on parrotlets??

Thanks

Re: Any Parrotlet owners out there?

I've got a parrotlet. She's every bit an amazon in a tiny body. She pins and fans her tail with the best of them. If your only experience with parrots has been a budgie, I'd recommend a handfed, tame baby from a good breeder if you decide to go with these guys. They're prone to being cage territorial and bitey at times, but they can also be pretty sweet and they're darned cute.

Thanks

Re: Any Parrotlet owners out there?

Thanks for the response! I joined the "talk parrotlet" forum a few days ago too- and have enjoyed looking through all the member's lovely birds.

I think a hand-raised, socialized baby is the way I'll go. It'll be hard to resist petstore ones, but I know it will make all the difference in the end. Sometimes I see ones that need rehoming on sites like craigslist, but if they aren't friendly as adult (or bonded to another adult), then they probably won't ever be that tame?

Still have lots of research left to do...