Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,575

1 members and 2,574 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need feedback

Thanks

Need feedback

I have been up a lot at night consummed with the thought of where these bills are taking the hobby we all love. Last night while not being able to sleep I thought of an idea and wanted to know what you guys thought of it. I have the video equipment and connections to make a full documentery on this whole mess, kind of a Michael Moore style " death of the big snake era". In no way am I saying we are going to lose this battle and I will fight every minute of everyday to win. I think this is something that if it does pass will be one of the biggest hits on the pet trade in my life. I've been keeping big snakes since I was fifteen. The problem is it's not cheap to do this to where Animal Planet or Discovery would want to pick this up. I would want to shoot in the everglades on Burmese hunts, talk with the FWC, travel to D.C. to get Senators on film, talk with all the major organizations on both sides of the battle including the hsus as well as visit the big snake breeders to see what it would do to them and their many employees lives. I'm talking a real film, maybe two versions. One being an hour long for the networks and another being 90 minutes or so for a DVD. If the unthinkable happens and we lose this fight maybe this would be enough to open the publics eyes to stop any future attacks? There would be no way to do this all in time to help this fight, so my question to you guys is: should I try to fund raise for this project or would it be better to put all our efferts into just the battle at hand?? I'm very torn over it, I just want the public to see what is really happening here. Let me know what you think and if you want to send me a private e-mail you can at bhb@comcast.net Thanks, Brian(BHB)
    http://www.twitter.com/snakebytestv

www.snakebytestv.ning.com

www.youtube.com/snakebytestv
    don't forget to subscribe, comment and rate the show!
    www.snakebytes.tv
    join the shows site
    www.snakebytes.tumblr.com
    our daily blog

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BHB For This Useful Post:

green farmer (03-01-2010)

Thanks

Re: Need feedback

I think that's a pretty cool idea. I'm sure other big breeders would help out. It definitely wouldn't be time wasted!
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

I think that this would acutally be a very positive impact.

Show the REAL facts....the REAL truth.....

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

I think its a great idea!! We have to be vigilant this is only the beginning. Tell us what you need and we'll help however possible.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

I'm in!

e-mail sent

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Awesome idea Brian!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think it's a great idea. One thing to think about is that the fight at hand is likely to be a short-term one. It's likely to go to a Senate vote in a month or so. After that, we might have a reprieve prior to the House (provided it doesn't get defeated in the Senate). I think there is a way to balance it out and keep the fight going at hand as well as do the documentary as well. We definitely need something to offset the HSUS propaganda.

Thanks

Sort of like herpers the movie but it could be called the death of the herp industry.

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

SPECTACULAR PLAN. While I have little to share financially I would certainly be willing to send what I can to help with this and do anything else I can do to help. This is exactly the thing I've been talking about in another forum.

Here is a letter I wrote to a PhD at Duke U about a cool video I'd seen. It was a great vid, except at the end he started talking about how the big snakes will move into other parts of the county. I wrote back in the friendliest, would like to know tone to try to get more from him and didn't get much that impressed me as provable or even really reasonable.

I'm no brain surgeon for sure but when I hear things like invasive, invasions, migration I want to hear about what these people are really thinking, believing and making judgments on. It is only by knowing every detail of their arguments, that you can take those arguments and idea's apart. M. Moore is a master at this technique and uses it to his advantage to create a scene where he can totally dismantle the false ideas & beliefs piece by piece and show how really silly they are.
    This would take a very unique spokesman, who could (I do not in any way mean for this to sound calculating but perhaps LOADED FOR BEAR but carrying a bouquet) pull in the argument with interest and kindness and with interest, kindness and knowledge, then take it on, as it were and show how REALLY SILLY IT IS!

Date: Monday, November 9, 2009, 11:18 AM

Hello Mr. Joppa,
    I just watched a video on the National Geographic site about the invasion of large species snakes into the Everglades. The video contained guests Nicolette Cagle and her husband with their Boa Constrictor. I was really impressed with the video and especially your idea of placing large heat mats out to catch the mother pythons. I'm wondering if this is being attempted and if so, how it is going. I'd think so big Kane heat mats for livestock would attract females like mad!
    Being a reptile owner, I am very interested in all the information on this problem and the solutions being attempted. I was disappointed that at the end you made a comment about the potential for these animals to migrate out of the Everglades. I'm curious as to just how far you believe these snakes could go. It's always been my opinion that these animals could never endure night time temp drops of more than about 40-50 degrees for any extended period of time. I'd be really interested in hearing your take on that. I would love to share your knowledge with other reptile owners as well. I await to hear from you and understand you schedule is probably quite busy.
    Thank you for your time sir.
    Kris Wills

Hi Kris,

Thanks so much for writing. I've cc'ed Nicki Cagle, who was also part of the video you are referring to.

There are two competing studies on the potential range expansion of the burmese in the Florida Everglades. The USGS published a rather high-profile report that gained extensive media coverage and claimed an enormous potential range expansion of the species. The report can be found at (http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp​ID1875).

There is another journal article, which can be found for free at (http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0002931) that questions the results of the USGS report.

I don't put much stock in either of those studies. Both rely on a scientific method called "climate envelope modeling" or "ecological niche modeling". These techniques use the known range of a species to predict where it could potentially occur, but work quite poorly with an invasive species such as the Burmese. The Burmese has already shown it is capable of inhabiting ecosystems quite different from its native one. It is a top predator, adept on land and in water. Above a size class which it reaches in its first two years, it is relatively immune to predation. Many semi-aquatic ecosystems in the southern US offer a easy and hyper-abundant prey source (nutria). I am unsure why you think that the species would be incapable of weathering temperatures below 50F for any extended period of time, in my mind it would be quite possible. Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

Unfortunately, there has not been any interest from the parks service on pursuing the heat mat method I had recommended. That is too bad, because I agree with you that it should work like a charm! Have you had any experience with outdoor heat mat usage? If so, I would like to hear how things have gone for you.

Again, thanks for writing. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the video!

Cheers,

Lucas

Lucas N. Joppa, PhD
    Nicholas School of the Environment

So I wrote him back again and told him that I was in Colorado. I talked about how the night time drops at anything past north Florida and possibly the southern most part of Georgia (in a warm year) did not seem, even close to suitable for a python. I never heard another word back. Now granted. I am sure this man doesn't have tons of time on his hands to talk folks like me but the point is, when people like PhD's start talking about this stuff people who don't really think things through can be very easily drawn in.

I think that a M. Moore'ish type discovery video would be wonderful. It is my understanding that National Geographic has even said (among others) that the original study results were highly questionable and based on bad science and therefore not worthy of making any decisions on. I also have heard precious little about any big numbers of Pythons being found in the Everglades and I have looked. The last number I heard was something less than 100 animals. FAR from the ten's of thousands some would of the scoundrels are yammering about.
    I wrote to Greg Graziani when I heard he was involved in an effort to hunt for the python and this is the link he sent me to a video.
    http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2009/0...thon-trackers/

So, wow, sorry. Long post here but I wanted to let you know how TRULY interested I am in your idea!!!!!!! Like I said, I'm totally loving it and would do anything I could do to help. Even if it's gathering banter off the internet and sending a few bucks. WHATEVER! I'm in!
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks

Yeah, like the herpers movie but something like " Death of the Big Snake Era"? Need to come up with a really good and catchy name that would get peoples attention at indy film festivals. I know I can use Dav Kaufman from herpers to help in our cause. It's a HUGE project, but I will do anything to protect the future of our hobby. Thanks! Brian(Sbtv)
    http://www.twitter.com/snakebytestv

www.snakebytestv.ning.com

www.youtube.com/snakebytestv
    don't forget to subscribe, comment and rate the show!
    www.snakebytes.tv
    join the shows site
    www.snakebytes.tumblr.com
    our daily blog

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast