Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,852

3 members and 2,849 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Something we probably haven't thought of about S373

This bill could still have a very unpleasant affect on the ball python industry that I doubt many have thought of. As many know, if added to the Lacey Act, this prohibits the import of skins of these animals. I would imagine the Burmese, Reticulated and African Rock pythons are the most common skins imported although not 100% sure on that. They are not simply going to give up that revenue. They will look for a substitute source. It won't be Australia or Madagascar due to strict exportation laws which means don't be looking for those Olive python or Dumeril's boa boots any time soon. I can't think of any logical replacement in Asia for the Burms and Retics. That leaves Africa and the ball python. If the ball python has to take the role of replacement, especially on its own, populations could be decimated due to its much smaller size and much smaller clutch sizes as well. If populations get too low, it could over time become endangered which means no exporting of new morphs. Just something to ponder.

Thanks

Re: Something we probably haven't thought of about S373

Yeah we all hate to think of this part of business. Personally i tend to not even think of it just cause it makes me angry, but you do have a point and now i am also worried for the wild Ball Pythons.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

Now if we could get the leather industry behind us with their connections as the leather and skin trade is far far greater in size than anything we do maybe as much as 100 times our combined size . We definately need to tell them that their livelyhood is in big trouble as well . Look at how many snakeskin wallets , purses, jackets, boots are sold to those rednecks.
    Also think about the chinese herbal medicine market how many herbal medicines have on the label python . That would be illegal to import as well under the lacey act . This is not in any way about just pets.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakemastercanada View Post
    Now if we could get the leather industry behind us with their connections as the leather and skin trade is far far greater in size than anything we do maybe as much as 100 times our combined size . We definately need to tell them that their livelyhood is in big trouble as well . Look at how many snakeskin wallets , purses, jackets, boots are sold to those rednecks.
    Also think about the chinese herbal medicine market how many herbal medicines have on the label python . That would be illegal to import as well under the lacey act . This is not in any way about just pets.
    Andrew Wyatt actually mentioned this on his broadcast on Reptile Radio. The fashion industry is behind the ball and there are efforts to catch them up.