Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,744

4 members and 3,740 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

UPDATE: S373 Python Ban

Today the Senate Committee on the Environment & Public Works (EPW) held a business meeting on S. 373. Committee Chair Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Ranking Member Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) presided. After brief statements the committee held a mark up session on S. 373, to amend title 18, United States Code, to add constrictor snakes of the species Python genera to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. Senator Inhofe expressed concerns about the bill. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) offered an amendment to limit the scope of the bill to only the 9 snakes addressed in the USGS report on large constrictors. Senator Cardin further agreed to work with Senator Inhofe to improve the bill prior to a vote on the Senate floor. The amendment was passed by voice vote. S373 was then voted out of Committee by voice vote with Senator Inhofe registering a NO vote.

S373 has now passed committee. It can not become law until it is voted on and passed by the full Senate and House of Representatives. There is still much work to be done prior to the Python Ban becoming law. S373 in its current form in unacceptable to USARK and the Reptile Nation. We will continue to work with Senator Inhofe, Senator Cardin and the EPW Committee Staff to shape the future of this bill. Please make an appointment to visit with your Senator and express your concerns with S373. Everyone needs to step up and make contact with your Senator. Let USARK know about your meeting. It is time to step up our game and show Washington we are serious about this. Continue the good fight. The Reptile Nation thanks Senator Inhofe for his even handed treatment of our industry.

Following is the statement of Ranking Member James Inhofe (R-OK):

Regarding S. 373, which is designed to ban the import and export of certain constrictor snakes, I believe we need to follow the process already established, which allows stakeholders to have input. Commonsense reforms are needed to prevent the proliferation, importation or breeding of species that would be harmful to ecosystems or human health and safety. We are setting a dangerous precedent of continuing to address these species outside of normal agency channels. Although I will not be offering an amendment today, I will support efforts on the floor to mitigate the negative effects to those snake owners and breeders who legally acquired their snakes, but through no fault of their own now find that their property is worth nothing.

S373 has been amended to include ONLY:

1. Python molurus
    2. Broghammeras reticulatus
    3. Python sebae
    4. Python natalensis
    5. Boa constrictor
    6. Eunectes notaeus
    7. Eunectes deschauenseei
    8. Eunectes murinus
    9. Eunectes beniensis
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks

New email from USARK!

Does this mean what I think it means? Has the bill just been concentrated to the giant 9?? Are BP's off the list?

Today the Senate Committee on the Environment & Public Works (EPW) held a business meeting on S. 373. Committee Chair Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Ranking Member Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) presided. After brief statements the committee held a mark up session on S. 373, to amend title 18, United States Code, to add constrictor snakes of the species Python genera to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. Senator Inhofe expressed concerns about the bill. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) offered an amendment to limit the scope of the bill to only the 9 snakes addressed in the USGS report on large constrictors. Senator Cardin further agreed to work with Senator Inhofe to improve the bill prior to a vote on the Senate floor. The amendment was passed by voice vote. S373 was then voted out of Committee by voice vote with Senator Inhofe registering a NO vote.

S373 has now passed committee. It can not become law until it is voted on and passed by the full Senate and House of Representatives. There is still much work to be done prior to the Python Ban becoming law. S373 in its current form in unacceptable to USARK and the Reptile Nation. We will continue to work with Senator Inhofe, Senator Cardin and the EPW Committee Staff to shape the future of this bill. Please make an appointment to visit with your Senator and express your concerns with S373. Everyone needs to step up and make contact with your Senator. Let USARK know about your meeting. It is time to step up our game and show Washington we are serious about this. Continue the good fight. The Reptile Nation thanks Senator Inhofe for his even handed treatment of our industry.

Following is the statement of Ranking Member James Inhofe (R-OK):

Regarding S. 373, which is designed to ban the import and export of certain constrictor snakes, I believe we need to follow the process already established, which allows stakeholders to have input. Commonsense reforms are needed to prevent the proliferation, importation or breeding of species that would be harmful to ecosystems or human health and safety. We are setting a dangerous precedent of continuing to address these species outside of normal agency channels. Although I will not be offering an amendment today, I will support efforts on the floor to mitigate the negative effects to those snake owners and breeders who legally acquired their snakes, but through no fault of their own now find that their property is worth nothing.

S373 has been amended to include ONLY:

Python molurus
    Broghammeras reticulatus
    Python sebae
    Python natalensis
    Boa constrictor
    Eunectes notaeus
    Eunectes deschauenseei
    Eunectes murinus
    Eunectes beniensis

usark.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New email from USARK!

Boa Constrictor are still on that list...what about Boa Imperator? Frankly I don't want any of the large snakes banned, stop importation? Maybe but banned? No.

Thanks

The species Boa constrictor includes all the subspecies, including boa constrictor imperator.
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

Thanks

I too don't think any of them should be banned at this point. Like ive been saying more research needs to be done as far as conservation effforts for the Everglades. it's obviously cheaper to just ban them. But is that going to help in the end? I think it's important that they aren't too hastey with this whole banning thing. IT could make problems worse. But as far as this new update goes Am I reading this right?is this so far limited to just the 9 or are we in the same position.
    Morgan

Thanks

I dont think anything should be banned I dont think the importation should stop because we need new blood to introduce to our animals. I mean why dont they just set a number limit for the amount of animals imported each year not ban it. Also what strikes me as completly retarded is
    Python molurus
    Broghammeras reticulatus

Python natalensis - bob clark is the only person I am aware of that breeds these animals and its very seldom. I have only seen two people on public forums that own these particular animals.

Eunectes deschauenseei
    Eunectes beniensis
    As for these two I have searched for four years to find these animals. And was told several times that are none in our country. So I would love to find out how these pose a risk to the everglades. This proves that hsus does not reasearch anything and are just trying to get as many snakes on that list as they can

Thanks

Re: UPDATE: S373 Python Ban

same thinkI got but mine was found in my spam folder for some reason.. but i do need to ask a idiot question the snake snake s list what their common names??
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

Maybe a stupid question... But what do they mean by "boa constrictor"... Does this include the red tail boa?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, this would include all species of Boa constrictor as it is currently written.

1. Burmese and Indian Python
    2. Reticulated Python
    3. African Rock Python
    4. South African Rock Python
    5. Boa Constrictor
    6. Yellow Anaconda
    7. De Schauensees Anaconda
    8. Green Anaconda
    9. Bolivian Anaconda
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
    Maybe a stupid question... But what do they mean by "boa constrictor"... Does this include the red tail boa?
    Yep. All types
    John Vandegrift

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast