Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

1 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Should Upgrade Tub-Size?

I put Fubar in a tub the other day because it's so dang dry here in the winter I was having trouble keeping humidity up....even with plexiglass covering 3/4 of the top and repti-bark bedding.....

I had a 15qt Sterilite Latch box that was not being used, so I washed it out, soldered some holes...and set it up for him. However, now that everything's in the tub....I think it's too small? But he seems fine and he even ate the day after he got moved in there.

The tub size is 17.25x11.87x6.62 inches....Fubar only weighs 148 grams, so from what I've read this seems to be the right size tub for him...I am thinking maybe it's the hide that makes it look cramped, but I didn't want to mess around with making a homemade one, so I bought one. If I got the size smaller than this though, the entry-way is very small.

He seems happy enough, he is eating fine....I was just wondering if I should go ahead with a 35qt Sterilite Latch box which is 24x17x7 inches (approx)?

Before I post the pic, I was also wondering what some of your opinions were on what size tubs for what size BP's....like 0-600 grams/600-1200/1200+?

Thanks so much!
    -SpiderBp
    FUBAR

Thanks

Re: Should Upgrade Tub-Size?

I mean its a litte cramped, but he can go in or out of the hide and have enough room to move around. As long as the hide is a perfect size, i wouldn't worry about it too much. Haha, i always recognize that Petsmart plant with the suction cups on it, seems like everyone has it.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steveboos For This Useful Post:

SpiderBP (12-10-2009)

Thanks

Lol...ya, I have done away with the suction cups...I just kind of lay them around like "ground-cover"....

And thanks for the quite reply....
    The hide is great for him....I think it's the right size....and when he gets out at night I guess he does have enough room, well as much as he needs. The lid doesn't come down right on top of the hide or anything, so he can climb over his hide too...and hide in the plants which I have seem him do.

Probably another case of me just being too cautious,
    FUBAR

Thanks

Yeah, honeslty i don't see anything wrong with your current setup. It is as bare bones as possible with giving your BP all the things it needs to feel secure and healthy. The only thing that concerns me is what the thermomter says, if the humidity is really that high, just put some more concentration of holes where you already have some to increase airflow.

Now i'd imagine you have Spider Ball Python in that tub?
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveboos View Post
    Yeah, honeslty i don't see anything wrong with your current setup. It is as bare bones as possible with giving your BP all the things it needs to feel secure and healthy. The only thing that concerns me is what the thermomter says, if the humidity is really that high, just put some more concentration of holes where you already have some to increase airflow.

Now i'd imagine you have Spider Ball Python in that tub?
    Ya....my soldering iron is a p.o.s. I am getting ready to run next door to my father-in-laws and grab one of his older ones. He has some high grade ones (he's a guitar-luthier), and has an old one he said I could have. His old ones are probably still better than my new p.o.s. one. So more holes are to come, here in about an hour or so....

And unfortunately no, Fubar is my normal. I was supposed to grab a Spider from a friend of mine who's a breeder in Indy a few months ago, but I ended up needing 4 new tires on the pimp-mobile. Haha. I am expecting a decent amount of $$ with Christmas and my birthday coming up...so maybe here in a few months? Lol....I hope!
    FUBAR

Thanks

Hey i started with a normal also and shes my favorite one, so nice and a great pattern. Now by the time you are in the market for a Spider, you could get one for $125-150. I got mine for $200...

Oh yeah also to answer your question about what sizes to put in what tubs. It all depends on what size tubs you have ready access to. Me personally i can get 6 qt, 16 qt, 28 qt, and 41 qt tubs. You can keep a baby in a 6 qt until they are around 200 grams, some people say 400 grams, but that's a little cramped. I personally use 16 qt tubs for all babies up until about 500 grams, then i move them into the 28 qt tubs. Only really large ones will get a 41 qt, but i don't have any that large yet, so no need right now.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steveboos For This Useful Post:

SpiderBP (12-10-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

If the snake is eating then don't change anything. That size tub will be fine for the snake for a few more months. i would move him up at about 300-400g.
    ~Steffe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

SpiderBP (12-10-2009)

Fayetteville, AR (are there any other herpers in AR?)
    Thanks

Yah I think if he's eating then leave him as is. He'll tell you if he's not happy. I just got some pretty small babies in and they're fine in the 6qt. I think I read on here that one rule of thumb for bp is that the tub should be 2/3 the length of the snake...this is prob. a little different with the square tub but that should be good for now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AMPearce For This Useful Post:

SpiderBP (12-10-2009)

Thanks

Ya...that's the only thing I don't like about this size and type of tub, is it's more square...but I'm going to keep him in here for another few months like Kaorte suggested, then when he goes up to the 35qt latch box, it's more rectangular in shape and he'll have some more room.

PS....I didn't even need to put more holes, I simply switched back to the Aspen (which I prefer over Repti-bark) and it's been at 62% humidity since I switched it.
    I think the combination of the tub and the repti-bark was what was making it so high before.....

Thanks again everyone,
    -SpiderBP
    FUBAR

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

It looks fine to me. He's just a baby still. A lot of breeders with a rack system have shoebox sized tubs for their babies/juveniles. Ball pythons are not roamers so they do not need a large set up. If your bp is roaming it's stressed.

This is what my tubs look like for babies. This guy is 200 grams.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-10-2009 at 03:00 PM.