Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

4 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

DANGER: Python Ban Moving Fast!!!

The Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works (EPW), Subcommittee on Water & Wildlife held a Hearing on S373 aka the Python Ban today at 2 PM. Senator Ben Cardin, Chairman, presided. Senator Bond and Senator Levine were the only presenters. Senator Bill Nelsen, the Bill sponsor, was not in attendance to present on S373. The Hearing was brief and more of a formality in order to move 9 different bills forward quickly.

Some of you that are following USARK on Twitter got the blow by blow during the hearing. Dan Ashe, Deputy Secretary of US Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS), testified on S373 recommending that the Bill be amended to include all 9 snakes addressed in the recent US Geologic Survey (USGS) Report on large constrictors. Chairman Cardin indicated that USFWS should approach Senator Nelson regarding amendment. Robert Ben**** of The Nature Conservancy (TNC), while acknowledging problems with the science in the USGS Report, also recommended amending S373 to include the 9 snakes.

The representative of the Humane Society of the United States was seen urging USFWS to ask Senator Nelson to amend S373 to include 45 species of Boa and Python.
    ‘The Burmese Python is being used by politicians and special interests to railroad the Reptile Nation!’

S373 as written would add ALL 40 species of python to the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act; the entire python genre. If amended as recommended by USFWS and TNC it would add all 4 species of anaconda and Boa Constrictor to the list. That would be 45 species in all. Although the Bill Sponsor is from Florida this is not a Florida Bill. This is federal legislation that would affect the entire country…. Including, but not limited to, Ball Pythons, Chondros, Blood Pythons, Carpet Pythons and Boa Constrictors. If passed S373 will destroy the Reptile Nation!

It is time for a gut check. Have you done everything you can to keep this nightmare scenario from happening? If you have we greatly appreciate your support!! If you have been sitting on the sidelines hoping others will take care of this for you please stand up and help now. We need members and money to fight this legislation. You can make excuses or you can take action! There is Strength in Numbers… Protect Your Rights! In the coming days USARK will ask a lot from the Reptile Nation. This is it. It is now or never. Live or die. This industry and hobby has NEVER been so close to annihilation. Please don’t go quietly into the night.

Next Thursday, December 10, 2009 S373 will go to ‘Mark Up’ before the Senate EPW Committee. This is where the Bill can be amended. USARK has submitted several amendment proposals. We have one week to have an impact! Get involved and get ready to take massive action. We have worked too hard and come too far to let it all go now! ONE WEEK!… Don’t Sit This One Out!!!
    ‘Get ready for a MASSIVE Grass Roots Campaign Against S373!’

Join the Reptile Nation!

1. Click the 'Donate Button' to donate to USARK. Your donation will be matched dollar for dollar by Zoo Med.

2. Click the 'Become a Member' link to Join the Reptile Nation. These battles are costly we need your support!

3. Click the 'Twitter Button' to follow USARK for fast breaking updates.

***Stay Tuned For Detailed Instructions on How To Take Massive Grass Roots Action***
    Last edited by rabernet; 12-04-2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Adding links to the alert
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks

Re: DANGER: Python Ban Moving Fast!!!

I hope everyone is taking this as serious as they should be.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

As do I! Hopefully there will be another alert from USARK advising us the best tactic to take this next week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    As do I! Hopefully there will be another alert from USARK advising us the best tactic to take this next week.
    i hope ppl are not waiting for that. they still should be calling

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Guys, I just renewed my membership. If your membership has expired, or if you haven't joined, please join USARK or make a monetary donation - now more than ever, our financial support as well as our time is critical!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    i hope ppl are not waiting for that. they still should be calling
    Agreed!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is federal legislation that would affect the entire country…. Including, but not limited to, Ball Pythons, Chondros, Blood Pythons, Carpet Pythons and Boa Constrictors. If passed S373 will destroy the Reptile Nation!
    I don't know if people saw this part or not, or if some people have felt that these bans won't affect ball python keepers - think again! Let your voices be heard - do not go quietly!

Thanks

Yeah this affects EVERYONE....

I've been pretty upset about this whole ordeal in general.

But when I saw Blood Pythons SPECIFICALLY

It got personal

Thanks

I just became a bronze member of USARK and trying to spread the word on face book. COntact your senators and everyone people. All of us need to be together in this battle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace of Snakes For This Useful Post:

rabernet (12-04-2009)

Thanks

Good little video from USARK's site.

They knew S373 was going to be a tough one.

I would expect that were going to be doing a repeat of HR669 with the letter campaign.

Its towards the end

YouTube - U.S. ARK's Andrew Wyatt Gives Reptile Nation Legal Update

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast