Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

0 members and 3,161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

HELP! BP has a problem!

Im a student at ball state in muncie. Just went home for a week (fed my baby girl before I left) and came back to her in not so great condition. I picked her up and she had like 20 scales that are all puffy and red. I touched them and it looked like blisters. I dont know what the heck is wrong but I feel horrible and need some guidance as to wtf this is and how to help her. Please help ASAP!

Thank you so much
    -Ed-

(picture)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...90429_3092.jpg

Thanks

Re: HELP! BP has a problem!

Looks like a burn. How are you controlling your heat source?

Or could be scale rot, but someone else better confirm that.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Registered User Southernshooter's Avatar
    Thanks

Edbean, We need to know more about your set-up, What are you using for heat, If it is a UTH is it controlled. Can you give us some more info

Thanks

first thing I would do is apply some ointment like neosporin then check on here. I've never seen rot in person and I hope I don't need to. Looks like 100 percent burn

Thanks

I have about 2 inches of sand on the bottom and a tank heater. I never got a thermostat because I dont have any idea how the hell it works or where to get one for a non-ridiculous amount of money. (ya I know its worth my pets health)

Im guessing this is what happened. We (my 2 roommates and I) were gone all week. No heat on, so the appartment was probably like 60-65 and she stayed on her heater all week. Ive had this setup for about 6 months and NEVER had a problem. Its gotta be a burn and for that reason.

I put neosporin on it and unpluged the heat pad (for the time being). What else should I do?!?

I would bet its a burn, so if you could please list what to do and link me to a thermostat FAQ thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Get the snake off the sand. Pronto. It is not a suitable substrate for a ball python. You can instead use paper towels or newspaper. If you have a low wattage heat lamp, I would use that for the time being until you can regulate the UTH properly.

The cheapest reptile thermostat can really only be found online. It is called the reptitemp 500r and costs about $25. Please order one as soon as you can.

Get a reliable thermometer. You can get an accurite digital outdoor/indoor weather station for $11 at the home depot. I figure that you are not properly measuring your temps and humidity. If you want to get your UTH up and running a little sooner, get a piggy back light dimmer (lutron lamp dimmer) from the home depot as well. It also costs around $11. Basically you plug the UTH into the dimmer and the dimmer into the wall. Then you use the dial to lower the heat. This method does require adjustments based on room temperature fluctuation unlike a thermostat which maintains a constant temp no matter what.

TAKE IT TO THE VET. Neosporin will only help external damage. If the snake has internal damage it needs to be seen by a vet. You will notice some scales flaking off because of the neosporin but it shouldn't be a problem.

I hope your snake recovers!
    Last edited by Kaorte; 11-30-2009 at 05:18 AM.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (12-07-2009)

Thanks

I second what Kaorte said but you could also use newspaper as a cheap bedding.

BPs Currently 23 total
    1.6.0 Normals, 1.0.0 66% poss het pied, 2.5.0 Yellow Belly, 1.0.0 Blonde Pastel, 1.0.0 Mojave, 0.1.0 Lemon Blast, 1.0.0 Albino, 0.1.0 100% het albino, 1.0.0 Spider, 1.1.0 Het Caramel Albino

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Definitely see a vet immediately--you need a proper diagnosis, not a guess by us based on a photo! The condition shown COULD easily be deadly if not treated. Septicemia is a dire risk with a skin infection.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (12-07-2009)

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, baby girl and I really appreciate it.

I took out the sand and put newspaper down, Ill be looking for a thermostat today after class. I put neosporin on her and the swelling has gone down a ton. It doesn't look like she has any internal problems, but ill be taking her to a vet as soon as I can find one (remember I said I live in muncie lol)

My question now is... do I feed her or wait until the sore goes away? I don't want her to constrict the mouse and get hurt more, but I also don't want her to starv. I fed her last on monday nov 23rd 2009. Shes 1.5 years old probably 2.5-3 feet long.

Thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edbean View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone, baby girl and I really appreciate it.

I took out the sand and put newspaper down, Ill be looking for a thermostat today after class. I put neosporin on her and the swelling has gone down a ton. It doesn't look like she has any internal problems, but ill be taking her to a vet as soon as I can find one (remember I said I live in muncie lol)

My question now is... do I feed her or wait until the sore goes away? I don't want her to constrict the mouse and get hurt more, but I also don't want her to starv. I fed her last on monday nov 23rd 2009. Shes 1.5 years old probably 2.5-3 feet long.

Thank you!
    She won't starve. I wouldn't feed her for a few weeks until it starts to heal up.

You need to take that snake to the vet. If you had taken precautions and spent the money in the first place you wouldn't have had this problem. Now you're probably going to have more than a thermostats cost in vet bills.

Put her on paper-towels or newspaper until she is completely healed. Either keep that substrate permanently or put her on aspen or cypress. Sand and cedar are VERY bad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast