Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

1 members and 2,963 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harlequin

Thanks

Re: Harlequin

Quote Originally Posted by Moofins07 View Post
    Thanks for the input! Especially for that photo of your Harlequin Serpent Nirvana. The juveniles they had for sale didn't seem to express a visually different pattern. Nor did the adult example they had, except for the continuous dorsal stripe that stretched about a third of its length. But with yours, I definitely see a difference. I adore the "hook" patterns.
    Thanks -- I like him too, though I kinda wish he hadn't turned out to be a "him," ha ha. You know though, when I first replied to your post I hadn't bothered to go past the adult picture on that website that you posted. I have to say, while I do see the "harlequin" pattern in that adult (albeit not as extreme even as mine or Brandon's, IMO), I see what you mean about the babies. I don't really see any "harlequin" in those at all ...

Brandon, that's a nice lookin' harley! Do you have a belly picture of him/her floatin' around that you could post?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    VMSherp seems to have proven the Harliquin genetic. You can read about it here. It seems the quality is pretty variable, but some of those harly babies are hot stuff.
    The male pictured above, in my previous post, is their original male which they got from pro exotics.
    bpherp.com - Breeder of ball python morphs & genetic mutations

Banned
    Thanks

What's the deal with the '08 Harlequins from Tim Lane at Ballroom Pythons? The price for one is $100, but why pay 40-50 dollars extra for a snake that looks like a normal? Is there some hidden bonus going on here? I don't mean to come off as rude or condescending to Tim Lane - I've heard great things about him so far - but I feel I need an explanation on these ones. What significance does the name have?

http://www.ballroompythons.com/ballp...reed=Harlequin
    Big Gunns is not sure if you did in fact have some "hidden agenda" with this post, since you're kinda implying that Tim Lane(who BG doesn't know) may be ripping people off by charging extra for his Harlequins.

The reason for BG's suspicion is that it would seem to BG that it would have been much easier to ask Mr. Lane himself. You may have no "hidden agenda" at all, but BG has seen many threads like this that there was one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonsBalls View Post
    The male pictured above, in my previous post, is their original male which they got from pro exotics.
    I knew I recognized him! He's hot stuff, I'm totally jealous If you're gonna breed him, I hope he gives you some equally hot harly babies!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinkles For This Useful Post:

BPHERP (12-01-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Big Gunns is not sure if you did in fact have some "hidden agenda" with this post, since you're kinda implying that Tim Lane(who BG doesn't know) may be ripping people off by charging extra for his Harlequins.

The reason for BG's suspicion is that it would seem to BG that it would have been much easier to ask Mr. Lane himself. You may have no "hidden agenda" at all, but BG has seen many threads like this that there was one.
    You would like to believe that every small BP owner is implying the big breeders are scam artists, wouldn't you, BG?

No, that is not what I was getting at, at all. I had no doubt Tim had a REASON for the additional cost, I just wanted that reason EXPLAINED to me, since I myself, couldn't see it. Cuz I r a BP n00b! Haxx0r!!1

... Sorry.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Banned
    Thanks

You would like to believe that every small BP owner is implying the big breeders are scam artists, wouldn't you, BG?

No, that is not what I was getting at, at all. I had no doubt Tim had a REASON for the additional cost, I just wanted that reason EXPLAINED to me, since I myself, couldn't see it. Cuz I r a BP n00b! Haxx0r!!1

... Sorry.
    For good reason BG feels this way.

You could have worded it differently though.

Thanks

... Sorry.
    I don't see the "harlequin" in those babies on that website, either, and I don't really consider myself too much of a n00b (especially to that particular "pseudo-morph," since I've always liked them). So don't feel bad (I would probably call the adult male on that same site a "harlequin," though.)

Although, this of course brings up the fact that, since "harlequin" isn't a proven single-gene morph, it hasn't been terribly well defined, so ultimately anyone can call anything they want a "harlequin." Since all you're buying is the appearance of that individual snake -- not its genetic potential as with proven morphs -- the "harlequin" label doesn't really have any meaning beyond just a descriptor.

So, it could also be entirely possible that the snakes on that website (the babies, I mean) are some entirely different thing from the typical "harlequin-type" that I think of when I think of a "harlequin" -- as BG said, I guess if ya wanna know you'd have to ask the guy that produced them.

Thanks
    Is it possible that its more of a line breeding trait than a dominant or recessive? If its popping up randomly and does "accidentally" mix well with other morphs instead of a consistent Dom/co-dom proven gene. I bought a breeder female recently from Family Reptiles at repticon kissimmee a couple days ago for 50$ and just took it as a cool looking normal at the very least but can see subtle differences in patterning and coloration that make me believe that there's a possibility its not just a pretty normal. With that said I can't find any information on the Harlequin gene anywhere but here.
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)

Thanks
    Well I'm guessing this is a dead thread... Lol. I've contacted NERD about this and am waiting for a reply hopefully soon. This has me super curious.
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12