Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,390

2 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Failing at Breeding

So I bought a few mice a month ago from Petco, and they all ended up dying after their 15 day guarantee, so I had to buy a new batch of them.

Just last week, I bought 3 females and 1 male. To my frustration, two have died including the sole male and this time, I went back to Petco and got them replaced.

I'm not understanding what could be going wrong. They are placed in a 10g tank, with food and water daily... so far I have noticed they are very active upon arrival, then they get lethargic and start to look thinner and their food pellets are just being ground up and are sleeping on it?

I haven't bred mice before, I also have rats and they are being taken care of the same way and fed the same diet - but haven't had fatalities with the rats.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Failing at Breeding

Probably your supplier... Try getting a whole new batch from a different store, sanitize your current tank and replace everything.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarin View Post
    Probably your supplier... Try getting a whole new batch from a different store, sanitize your current tank and replace everything.
    It's becoming rather expensive! But, I have a new 1.2 batch just replaced, and I've placed them in a whole separate tank and in a different room of the house.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to take your advice and get a new batch elsewhere. This is my 3rd batch already, so if it doesn't work then it's their supply that's bad.

I always quarantine new arrivals for 4 weeks, and I clean everything with 50% bleach & 50% water to sanitize, and the furnishings are frozen for 48 hours because I don't have a working oven to use.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by revxus View Post
    It's becoming rather expensive! But, I have a new 1.2 batch just replaced, and I've placed them in a whole separate tank and in a different room of the house.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to take your advice and get a new batch elsewhere. This is my 3rd batch already, so if it doesn't work then it's their supply that's bad.

I always quarantine new arrivals for 4 weeks, and I clean everything with 50% bleach & 50% water to sanitize, and the furnishings are frozen for 48 hours because I don't have a working oven to use.

Thanks for the advice!
    check ur watter bottle too just in case, i had the same thing happen with asf rats when i realized the watter bottle was not working at all.
    "You can derelict my balls, capi-tan." -zoolander
    lots o ball pythons!
    www.holdfastreptiles.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

What food are you feeding. If feeding the pet store mix bags that could be a problem as well.

Those are not good for breeding stock mainly for hamsters. Try to get your hands on bag of KENT or Mazuri Rodent Blocks. Mice once started NEVER stop. That 10 gallon tank will be over grown in 2 months.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    What food are you feeding. If feeding the pet store mix bags that could be a problem as well.

Those are not good for breeding stock mainly for hamsters. Try to get your hands on bag of KENT or Mazuri Rodent Blocks. Mice once started NEVER stop. That 10 gallon tank will be over grown in 2 months.
    Yeah, I got a free pair of rats at 10 weeks of age so they're still small and more likely not of age to produce yet and that 10g tank is temporary until I get a system with tubs.

Anyway, about the mice... they are feeding on these small green pellets I bought at Wal-mart, and it's actually Timothy Hay not Alfalfa as I stated earlier.

Here's what the bag says:

WESTERN TIMOTHY ESSENTIALS
    FOOD FOR RABITS, GUINEA PIGS, CHICHILLAS, AND OTHER SMALL ANMALS

I understand this may not be the appropriate diet, but as I have never bred rats or mice before I thought they all had the same dietary necessities. Petco employees said it was fine as long as it said for "small animals" and the bag also states Vitamin and Mineral Enriched. And it contains 13% Crude Protein.

I have also been adding table scraps along with these pellets recently.

Also, the food at the store they are being fed are these grayish pellets. It's like $9.99 for a 3lb bag here in Cali.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Call around to feed stores and as if they carry Kent or Mazuri rodent food. The food you are supplying is not good enough nutrition for rodents.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

As mentioned before, it sounds like the water bottle to me too. Are you sure they are actually getting water?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    As mentioned before, it sounds like the water bottle to me too. Are you sure they are actually getting water?
    Oh, the water is changed daily and the water bottles all work. However, I will be calling around for the food you have suggested. Thanks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

YOu can do a search here to see if their sold locally.

http://www.kentfeeds.com/

Usually Farm feed barns carry it or mazuri. Kent runs about 11-14$ per 40lbs and mazuri is $23-30 for 50lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast