Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

3 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Help! I found a ball python in the wild

If you need to, take a piece of cardboard and place it between the snake and water bowl. If he is in his hide you can simply block off the entrance to his hide so he can't see what you are doing.
    As far as getting bit, it doesn't hurt like most people think, it's more of like a minor burning sensation. I've gotten bit by puppy teeth and cat claws, and tattoos that hurt way worse. Getting a flu shot hurts more, if that tells you anything. Usually it's the suprise of getting bit. You can always wear some gloves until you are more comfortable. If and when you get bit, just wash it with soap and water and put a little neosporin on it and it will be gone in about 2 days. But make sure you wrap it in a super huge, overkill bandage, so when people say "Oh my god! What happened to your hand?" You can just smile and say, "snakebite"... Just make sure you keep a camera handy cause we always like pics. I'm going to try and post a link to a video from Snakebytes TV. The fun starts at about the halfway point...

http://sg.video.yahoo.com/watch/4430191/11876626

Thanks to Brian and the crew at BHB. This is still my favorite episode...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

He's looking much better!

Honestly he doesn't look skinny so he must have either recently escaped or found some mice or rats when he was out.

Keep up the good work! Don't be too afraid of getting bitten. Have had my BP for almost 2 years now and i've never been bitten.

Grab a pair of leather gloves, if you have them, or use the arboard trick Vypyrz mentioned. All in all, great job! You've done more than most people would and that is commendable!
    0.1 Ball Python - Guinness
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Gizmo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by straydog1980 View Post
    HELLO! I want to put my hand in there and replace his/her water but I'm still scared of getting bit!

Most ball pythons are very docile, but if you are afraid of getting bit you can wear a glove. Good luck!
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Good job so far, just TAKE THE DIRT OUT! lol newspaper is way better.

Thanks

Well I am curious straydog1980, are you hooked yet. If you want to keep your new buddy Kismet you have some changes you should make pretty soon so you can get her all settled in and ready for a meal.

First thing is first. I like to compare BP's to a much more dangerous animal. What you really need to be afraid of is kittens. Now if you can handle playing with kittens without being to scared you should have no problem with Kismet. Your new BP doesn't have retractable mini daggers on each foot and its teeth are nothing compared with the maw of 3 month old kitten. I mean Ball Pythons are to Cats what Cats are to tigers.

Ok so now that we have that in perspective, reach in to the tank and pick up kismet by the thickest part of her body and put her in a small box while you get rid of that sand. If you want cheap, easy and good go for newspaper, if you want something that looks more natural, you could get some http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3&lmdn=Reptile its great for keeping your humidity up and might be a good option till you figure that part out. But really newspaper is great.

For a tank setup you have to worry about the 3 H's. Heat, Hides, and Humidity. Most people are pretty good about knowing their animal needs food and water. Water is easy, and food is easier if you have the 3 H's down. But lets hear your plans, before we bombard you with specifics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    Well I am curious straydog1980, are you hooked yet. If you want to keep your new buddy Kismet you have some changes you should make pretty soon so you can get her all settled in and ready for a meal.

First thing is first. I like to compare BP's to a much more dangerous animal. What you really need to be afraid of is kittens. Now if you can handle playing with kittens without being to scared you should have no problem with Kismet. Your new BP doesn't have retractable mini daggers on each foot and its teeth are nothing compared with the maw of 3 month old kitten. I mean Ball Pythons are to Cats what Cats are to tigers.

Ok so now that we have that in perspective, reach in to the tank and pick up kismet by the thickest part of her body and put her in a small box while you get rid of that sand. If you want cheap, easy and good go for newspaper, if you want something that looks more natural, you could get some http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3&lmdn=Reptile its great for keeping your humidity up and might be a good option till you figure that part out. But really newspaper is great.

For a tank setup you have to worry about the 3 H's. Heat, Hides, and Humidity. Most people are pretty good about knowing their animal needs food and water. Water is easy, and food is easier if you have the 3 H's down. But lets hear your plans, before we bombard you with specifics.
    well unfortunately my wife is not keen on having a snake in the house, and I can't keep him/her in my office for long. Luckily I have already found a home for him, at least temporarily! A member here has offered to take him off my hands!

It's really odd, because I've always been afraid of snakes, but for some reason I am getting attached to this one! Too bad the wife is nearly phobic

Thanks

well unfortunately my wife is not keen on having a snake in the house, and I can't keep him/her in my office for long. Luckily I have already found a home for him, at least temporarily! A member here has offered to take him off my hands!

It's really odd, because I've always been afraid of snakes, but for some reason I am getting attached to this one! Too bad the wife is nearly phobic
    You can always try to convert your wife Although it doesnt always work.

That snakebytes episode... lol...
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

You could always tell your wife, "You are right, honey. We should not keep this snake. I have found out that Ball Pythons are magical snakes and they have the ability to cast a spell on you that makes you fall in love with their cuteness and become addicted..." Which reminds me. I have a BP's Anonymous meeting tonight...

Even if you decide not to keep it, you are still to be commended for saving it's life and finding it a home. You should still participate on the forum because you can learn a ton on keeping and raising reptiles and may even find yourself with another one in the future...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (11-19-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yup - Kismet will be joining my crew, at the very least temporarily (if a male) until a very nice permanent home can be found for him/her.

Of course....if you find yourself super attached to him/her, I COULD just foster him/her for you until you can talk the wife into letting you have him!

Thanks

Kudos to saving this ball!

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast