Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 898

2 members and 896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help! I found a ball python in the wild

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Something to think about the lighting is this. As long as they are in a room where daylight or overhead lights are used, they won't really need a white light. You will need to get either a "night" red bulb or a ceramic heat emitter. These generally run in the 75-150 watt range so make sure whatever lamp you are going to use can handle the wattage. The clamp on domes can be bought at a pet store as well as the bulbs, but you may be able to find a clamp on dome for cheaper if you check at places like Home Depot, Lowes, or maybe an auto parts store. Despite what the pet stores will tell you, Ball Pythons do not need the UV lights. They are nocturnal and hide and sleep most of the day, and no black lights either...

Rob
    Thats right keep that in mind, people mention the lamp because is the cheapest and easiest way to find to keep him warm for now. Dont let anyone talk to you into buying an expesive light/lamp for a ball python. They dont need the actual "LIGHT" just the warm emited from it.
    Last edited by Danounet; 11-17-2009 at 04:11 PM.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Take out the sand/dirt stuff and replace it with newspaper or paper towels. If you can, cover the outside back and sides of the tank with dark paper so he feels a little safer.

You can get one of those dome lamps and a red light bulb from home depot for pretty cheap. That will work well for the time being.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I really don't have a light solution for today.... there is a plastic strip thermometer on the side of the tank that reads about 79 right now.

How about this? I have a space heater in one of the other rooms here.... I can bring it in and let it run all night and that should help right? It will be about a foot away but still should help a little bit anyway.

Also, this is in an office and I have multiple fluorescent ceiling lights in here (5 to be exact). It is usually warm in my office compared to the rest of the building.

I hope he's okay

I'm not going to worry about feeding him until I am confident he is comfortable. I would like to take him out so I can lay newspaper down, because right now he is laying on sand, pretty much. I'm afraid he will bite me however, so I think it's best to just let him be for now.

Thanks

I think the heater will help alot. I dont think he will bite you he looks realy scared. But even if he does, a BP bite is not serious, it will leave you a scratch, it might scare you a little though lol.

Dont feed him until you have found a way to warm him up, they need warm for digestion.
    Last edited by Danounet; 11-17-2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

That sounds pretty good for now. I doubt he will bite you though. Especially if he is curled in a ball. If it makes you feel better you can wear gloves while handling him. Ball python bites are really nothing big. Barely even bleed. I have had worse from my kitten or dog!
    ~Steffe

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

straydog1980 (11-17-2009),Vypyrz (11-17-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    That sounds pretty good for now. I doubt he will bite you though. Especially if he is curled in a ball. If it makes you feel better you can wear gloves while handling him. Ball python bites are really nothing big. Barely even bleed. I have had worse from my kitten or dog!
    okay, then I'm going to try a snake transplant tomorrow!

If I get bit I'm coming after you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by straydog1980 View Post
    I really don't have a light solution for today.... there is a plastic strip thermometer on the side of the tank that reads about 79 right now.

How about this? I have a space heater in one of the other rooms here.... I can bring it in and let it run all night and that should help right? It will be about a foot away but still should help a little bit anyway.

Also, this is in an office and I have multiple fluorescent ceiling lights in here (5 to be exact). It is usually warm in my office compared to the rest of the building.

I hope he's okay

I'm not going to worry about feeding him until I am confident he is comfortable. I would like to take him out so I can lay newspaper down, because right now he is laying on sand, pretty much. I'm afraid he will bite me however, so I think it's best to just let him be for now.
    I wouldn't worry to much about getting bit, I know easy for me to say, but most ball pythons are not aggressive. They instead prefer to ball up and hide. If you can I would go ahead and ditch the sand ASAP.
    Also I was just curious, because it is not visible in your pictures. Does that tank have a secure lid on it? I would hate for you to come into your office in the morning only to find that he has escaped. Since you found him he may very well be a good escape artist. And if you leave and he does not feel warm and secure he may look to get to a place that he does feel warm and secure.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

okay, got the heater set up. It should warm up the general area considerably, hopefully it's enough!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakecharmer3638 View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much about getting bit, I know easy for me to say, but most ball pythons are not aggressive. They instead prefer to ball up and hide. If you can I would go ahead and ditch the sand ASAP.
    Also I was just curious, because it is not visible in your pictures. Does that tank have a secure lid on it? I would hate for you to come into your office in the morning only to find that he has escaped. Since you found him he may very well be a good escape artist. And if you leave and he does not feel warm and secure he may look to get to a place that he does feel warm and secure.
    It's got a loose fitting lid with air grates (maybe this was used for another reptile/amphibian in the past?). I've placed a heavy binder on top of it in the middle, and wedged it under neath the desk top.... here's a pic.

I don't think he's getting out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to straydog1980 For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (11-19-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You are doing a great job! There's a lot to learn in a short time. Heat and humidity are all you need to worry about right now. It is important that the two ends of the tank are two different temps. 90 warm end and 80 cool end is ideal.

You could just slide the tank off the end of the table just a bit so the heater is underneath about a foot or so of one end of the tank. And tape some dark paper to a couple of sides of the tank for security.

Keep up the good work!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast