Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,868

1 members and 2,867 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Help! I found a ball python in the wild

Or, as wild as gets behind a coke machine anyway

The company I work with was doing a termite job at a local dollar store chain, and we had to pull back the coke machine to drill behind it. Before we got the chance my technician warned me of the snake. He took a swipe at it to try and get it to go away but then it coiled up!! We knew it wasn't your average snake.... most of the wild ones around here are venemous... so we captured it and I now have it in a tank in my office (how convenient!).

I called the wildlife agency and sent them a picture. They told me it was a ball python, and not a protected species where I live (North Georgia). I want to keep it, at least until I can find a home for it, but am clueless when it comes to snakes!

Help?

I've included pictures of the tank I put it on, and I've gotten recommendations from the wildlife agency to purchase a heating rock, and to get some kind of bowl for it to drink water out of? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never owned a snake before! Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!

By the way, I've already replaced the piece of cardboard with an old piece of termite damaged wood so it has something to kind of hide under.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Help! I found a ball python in the wild

Check out the care sheet on this site..
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/...warticle&id=59
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

straydog1980 (11-17-2009)

Thanks

it is a ball python, it needs heat but not a heat rock, it could burn it. Get a heat pad. Stick the pad to the bottom of the cage and get some sort of dimmer to control it. Theres to much substate for the heat to penetrate, Id just use newsaper or paper towel. He needs a big enough bowl to soak in for water. he needs a better hide. cut a hole in a card board box that is barely bigger than the snake. Get more stuff to make the cage less open so he feels secure. crumpled newspaper, fake plants, etc. then leave him alone in a dark quite area for a while, he is probably very stressed. Then you can attempt to feed him.
    Last edited by Kryptonian; 11-17-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    1.0 50% het clown 1.0 50% het lavender 2.6 normal bp 1.0 normal poss axanthic 1.0 het pied bp 1.0 yellow belly 1.0 mojave bp 2.0 spider bp 2.1 pastel bp1.1 Cinnamon bp
    7.0 corns - normal motley stripe het snow,anery a het hypo, snow, red candy cane, motley stripe orange candy cane, anery motley possible ghost , butter motley 0.6 corns -amel,high white amel,creamsicle,ghost, snow, orange candy cane 1.0 albino jungle corn, 1.0 mexican black king, 1.0 california king, 1.0 milk snake 0.1 kenyan sand boa 0.1 dummerils boa 1.1 bci normal, 0.1 pastel bci,0.1 kahl albino bci,1.0 salmon het kahl albino bci, 0.1 guatamalan boa 0.1 hogg island boa 1.0 JCP 0.1 woma python 3.0 leos-normal,blizzard,rw albino,rw b blizzard 0.7 leos-normal,hypo tangerine,mack snow,albino, rwb blizzard,raptor, rw albino 0.1 C. Turneri (thick toed gecko)1.1 crested gecko0.1rose hair T. 0.0.1 black emporer scorpion
    1.0 beardie

http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com Kryptonian Reptiles now on Facebook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kryptonian For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow, a BP behind a Coke machine. That's a cool find!

As far as heating for the snake, do NOT use a heat rock. It can easily burn the snake. Use a UTH (under the tank heater). It's a pad that sticks to the bottom of the tank and heats from the bottom up.

As far as bedding, you can just use newspaper or Aspen.

For temps, the snake needs high 80's to low 90's on the hot side and mid 80's on the cool side. Humudity should be around 60-70% in the tank.

Awesome that you are keeping it for the time being. Definitly make sure, if you aren't keeping it for yourself, that it goes to a responsible owner this time!
    0.1 Ball Python - Guinness
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Gizmo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Karbon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonian View Post
    it is a ball python, it needs heat but not a heat rock, it could burn it. Get a heat pad. Stick the pad to the bottom of the cage and get some sort of dimmer to control it. Theres to much substate for the heat to penetrate, Id just use newsaper or paper towel. He needs a big enough bowl to soak in for water. he needs a better hide. cut a hole in a card board box that is barely bigger than the snake. Get more stuff to make the cage less open so he feels secure. crumpled newspaper, fake plants, etc. then leave him alone in a dark quite area for a while, he is probably very stressed. Then you can attempt to feed him.
    Is this better? I know it looks crappy, but I'm working with what I have in my office right now.

Also, I can't afford to buy heating pads and substate and stuff until the end of this month. Will the snake be okay until then as long as I keep the room warm (75 or higher) and give him a light/dark schedule?

I can probably find some kind of water bowl to use, but it has to be large, shallow and heavy right?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to straydog1980 For This Useful Post:

Smarion0006 (11-04-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by straydog1980 View Post
    Is this better? I know it looks crappy, but I'm working with what I have in my office right now.

Also, I can't afford to buy heating pads and substate and stuff until the end of this month. Will the snake be okay until then as long as I keep the room warm (75 or higher) and give him a light/dark schedule?

I can probably find some kind of water bowl to use, but it has to be large, shallow and heavy right?
    Worst case, you can get a cheap clamp fixture and put a light bulb in it to heat one end of the tank for the snake. Shouldn't cost you more than about $10 or so. However, this will likely cause the humidity in the tank to drop lower than it should, so you'll want to go to a UTH as soon as possible.

Good luck with your new friend, and good on you for attempting to take care of him or her, whichever it is!

Thanks

I would also suggest putting some form of cover over most of the tank to make it darker. Seems to calm mine down when it is darker. You can also always use paper towels as a substraight.

In the picture he just looks really scared. He is a really cool morph. love his markings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by straydog1980 View Post

You can get a heat lamp to provide heat to the tank but make sure the snake cannot come into contact with the bulb. Ball Pythons do not need a water bowl big enough to soak in. Just as long as they can drink out of it you'll be fine.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Looking better

The lowest temps you want for a BP at any given time is 75f.

If you have a lamp or something that emits heat, i'd suggest putting it on the top of the cage so it provides some heat. Also, cover most of the top of the tank with a cloth (away from the lamp of course!) to keep heat in better.

Doing good so far though. Kudos to you for taking the snake in and caring for it! Looks to be in relatively good condition by looking at those pictures.
    0.1 Ball Python - Guinness
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Gizmo

Thanks

Have you checked locally (craigslist, animal control, etc) to see if anyone's missing their pet? I ask because Ball Pythons aren't naturally from the US, so he had to belong to somebody... although it's highly possible they dumped him, but you should probably check anyway. Awesome find, though - he/she looks very pretty & plump! The others have given you good advice already, and the caresheet linked above should answer most of your questions. This site is also a fabulous resource, and I bet you'll be on here a LOT if you keep the snake. Congrats on the new "baby," and good luck! Have you chosen a name yet?
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast