Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,903

2 members and 2,901 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Got a new Moon/Halloween Crab ~ Any info on a set-up?

Well I just left my local pet store with a new moon/halloween crab. This guy is so freakin cool! I looked up a couple of care sheets but was wondering if anybody had any pictures of how a moon crab set-up looks like?

The guy at my pet store said to put in half play sand and half water. Well I did that but the water is so murky from the playsand, it looks gross.

So if you could post any pictures or have any helpful tips on these guys please let me know. I'm very excited about my new crab! He looks great. I will post pictures once I get home and have his set-up complete.

Thanks

Re: Got a new Moon/Halloween Crab ~ Any info on a set-up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BiggBaddWolf View Post
    Thanks for the help. I don't know how I managed to skip over that care sheet on yahoo. I guess after I let the water settle, it won't look like murky water anymore. I will have to find out when I get home. Still hoping to see some pictures of some set-ups!

Thanks

Re: Got a new Moon/Halloween Crab ~ Any info on a set-up? Pictures!

Well here he is. Pictures like I promised. I don't have the best camera, so work with me. He is a very cool little guy. He is still settling in and quite shy. Hopefully after a month or so he will open up a little. He loves apples. I was watching him in the dark last night and could of watched for hours. Maybe I can get some pictures of him eating.

He is still nameless, any suggestions?

I also included pictures of his set-up. I hope this will do for now. I'm working from scratch and care sheet info.

My new crab:

His helpless look:

Picture of his set-up:

I also got a new male spider. Thought I might as well post a picture here since he's also a new addition. His name is Kumo (which means "spider" in Japanese). I will post more pictures once he's settled in.

Kumo:

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Those are super cool looking! I remember the first time I saw them at a show I kept going back to check em out. I don't know the first thing about their care though.
    You could name him Michael Myers
    --Walt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

stargazed85 (11-15-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    Those are super cool looking! I remember the first time I saw them at a show I kept going back to check em out. I don't know the first thing about their care though.
    You could name him Michael Myers
    That's an awesome name! TOTALLY!!! I was trying to think of something Halloween, but had no luck. Thanks Waltah!

Figured the people at the pet store really didn't know how a set-up should look either. So far so good.

Thanks

Anybody else own Halloween crabs on the forum?

He dug his own little tunnel today. Such a fascinating little guy.

Thanks

I work in a petstore and we typically stock one. We keep them on a very well moisten cocohusk and have done so for quite some time with no problems. They do love to burrow and the one we've got now likes to burrow under his water dish. As far as care just keep it moist and around 80-85 during the day and like 70 at night. They are fun to watch when they eat depending on what you decide to feed it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to n3m0_ For This Useful Post:

stargazed85 (11-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n3m0_ View Post
    I work in a petstore and we typically stock one. We keep them on a very well moisten cocohusk and have done so for quite some time with no problems. They do love to burrow and the one we've got now likes to burrow under his water dish. As far as care just keep it moist and around 80-85 during the day and like 70 at night. They are fun to watch when they eat depending on what you decide to feed it.
    Well I put play sand as his substrate and mixed some reptile moss in with it on the top. He decided to burrow a tunnel right underneath his piece of drift wood. I make sure I keep it moist all the time.

I heard you should add a pinch of salt to their water. Is this true? I actually have not seen him use his water yet.

I love to watch him eat!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stargazed85 View Post
    Well I put play sand as his substrate and mixed some reptile moss in with it on the top. He decided to burrow a tunnel right underneath his piece of drift wood. I make sure I keep it moist all the time.

I heard you should add a pinch of salt to their water. Is this true? I actually have not seen him use his water yet.

I love to watch him eat!
    I haven't heard of doing that specifically for moons crabs but it is my understanding that adding some aquarium salt to fresh water fish tanks helps to calm the fish, so perhaps its the same idea? And as for actually utilizing the water dish to soak I haven't seen any such behaviour with ours, I think the large water dish is mainly just to help with humidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast