Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,869

3 members and 2,866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Breeding for feeders

I wanted to breed mice to keep and use as feeders for my BP.
    Could someone tell me the pros v cons on this.
    I was also hoping to maybe find a sticky in here about how to start breeding, such as basics and supplies, etc.
    P.S. - Does anyone on here actually breed to feed your snake, or is that not normal lol

Thanks

Re: Breeding for feeders

Many of us breed our own feeder rodents. For me it does save me a bit of money, it also helps to have that consistency of prey available since my local stores are up and down with what they might have available any given week and I love knowing that what my snakes eat was raised by me and is the quality I want for them to eat.

The downside is it's a lot of work - more rodent work than snake work for me each week. To just feed one BP, I don't think it's really worth it but that's up to you to decide. Also for me I won't breed mice as personally I hate their smell. I breed regular sized rats and african soft furred rats (called ASF's) and they suit the size of snakes I'm feeding.

We have an area here called "Feeders" and in there you should be able to find many threads and stickies about rats, mice and ASF's.
    ~~Joanna~~

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Breeding for feeders

I breed both mice and rats.

The problem with mice is that they have a stronger smell and are hard to get started which is why many people tend to prefer rats, that and also the size, most people prefer feeding one larger prey compare to feeding several smaller ones.

What’s important with mice is security, if mice do not feel secure they will be stressed and be more likely to cannibalize their youngs (this is why I have mine in low dark tubs which provide plenty of security.
    Other important element is quality food, not pet store junk.

When starting a colony you need to be patient first attempts might be failures if you are persistent and once you breeding project takes off it is a smooth ride as enjoyable as rats.

Best would be to start with 1.2.

Gestation is 21-23 days

Female usually give birth to 6 to 12 babies (that’s an average (my female produce between 10 to 18 babies each)
    Mice can be weaned at 3 to 4 weeks.

Females can get pregnant again within hours of giving birth therefore your female can have babies every 3 weeks.

After 5 to 6 litter production start slowing down which is usually when I personally retire mine.
    Deborah Stewart