Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

1 members and 2,799 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Fantastic DIY Hide Tutorial!

Well at least I think it's a great tutorial!
    It seems lots people use hides and the question comes up pretty often. What are people using for hides?
    So here is a step by step guide to how I make my hides which are very nice because they are cheap, durable, widely available, easy to make and safe for the snake.
    Why do I say safe, because I've bought other plastic hides (like Zilla) that I ended up just throwing out because of the very heavy petroleum smell, that no matter how many times you wash, won't dissipate. Petroleum fumes are not safe and not something your snake should be breathing in constantly.
    Plus these hides are great for rack systems (I use it in CB70 and 1960 tubs) or just single glass aquariums.
    It is also a great hide for medium and large snakes, I use it for all my bp's even my large 3,000+ gram females fit with no problem.

So let's start.
    First you need the tub itself, which I buy from Wal-Mart for $2.68 each. It is a Sterilite 0657 dishtub.

Next you will need just 3 easy to find everyday items, a box cutter (knife will work too), pair of heavy duty scissors (I prefer tin snips though) and a lighter (or blow torch if you got one).

You will start by scoring the tub to remove the base. Use the base as a guide and set the cutter on it and just go completely around the tub. You do NOT have to use much pressure. The idea is to score the plastic not to cut through it.

Here is the score mark after I've finished going all the way around the tub. Again you do not need to use much pressure, so be safe when using that cutter.

Now using the scissors, make two cuts from the base up to the score mark.

Then fold the piece you just cut in towards the tub and then back out to snap apart.

Make another cut further down and repeat, push the piece in towards the tub then back out towards you to snap apart. Just keep going around the whole tub like this. Corners are harder so you have to make smaller cuts there to snap out.

You will be left with this.

Now you need to cut the entrance for the snake to go in and out of. Just make sure it is an appropriately sized hole. Remember, you can always make the entrance larger at a latter date as your snake grows.
    Take the scissors and make two cuts, then using the cutter connect the two and then snap out.

Okay so now we have what's looking like a snake hide but we aren't done yet. The edges are sharp and need to be smoothed down.
    Here is the edge after cutting, pretty sharp.

So take the lighter and just go around the whole edge, smoothing it out with the flame. It takes a little timing. You don't want to go to slow to where you melt the thing, yet not to fast that you don't smooth that edge.

Here is the edge after heating, nice, clean and very smooth.

So now you have your finished snake hide. Total time for me to make one, start to finish is maybe 4 or 5 minutes. All that's left is to wash it real quick before putting it into use.

Here is a hide I made 2 years ago still in great shape after many washes.

I hope some people find this useful.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to panthercz For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (10-03-2010),BILLB OKC (10-31-2009),Briankm (10-31-2009),Bruce Whitehead (10-30-2009),ColdBloodedCarnival (10-30-2009),Kaorte (10-31-2009),Patricia (10-30-2009),The Hedgehog (08-27-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Fantastic DIY Hide Tutorial!

Great tutorial! I think this should be stickied
    ~Steffe

Thanks

1 husband ~ 2 daughters
    1 dog ~ 3 cats ~ 1 guinea pig
    1 BP: Patriot

Thanks

I have been using those dish tubs from the local walmart for years now. I do cut them down a little more, so they are not so tall. I have noticed when they are taller. The snakes can sometimes get stuck on top of the hide.

Thanks

Great writeup

Thanks

Yep it certainly is a great write up with fantastic photography! I will move it into the DIY section.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ama1997 View Post
    I have been using those dish tubs from the local walmart for years now. I do cut them down a little more, so they are not so tall. I have noticed when they are taller. The snakes can sometimes get stuck on top of the hide.
    I agree, if you are dealing with a smaller snake you can defiantly cut the hide down to be shorter.
    When my piebald was smaller she liked to wedge herself between the top of the hide and rack. It wasn't a big deal, she would unwedge herself and come out when she felt like it.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Registered User ColdBloodedCarnival's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome! I'm going to try making some of these today!

Thanks

Thankful for this tutorial.

I went out last night and bought one. Only $1.88 for a great hide!

Thanks

I went on sterilite.com and they only sell this bin in red, do they sell it in black at the actual wal-mart store?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast