Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 356

10 members and 346 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,845
Threads: 239,426
Posts: 2,487,822
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, hectorspe
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran takagari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts

    CITES Export Guide?

    Been trying to find some straight forward info on how to fill in CITES etc for getting snakes from USA to Canada

    I am wanting to buy from a new breeder who is not all that knowledgeable on the subject and asked me for help.

    Anyone know a site with a guide or can lay it out for me?

    I am the exporter, he is just the breeder who does the CITES


  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts

    Re: CITES Export Guide?

    I saw that you have already posted the question on the forum. If you had looked, there is a lot of information there.

    Particulary this thread.

    I will put the information quoted here, in case someone need it. It's quite good information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stockwell on RC
    For Americans Exporting from the U.S.A. (Canadians should be familiar with these steps too)
    All animals leaving or entering the USA must be inspected by US fish & wildlife This is generally done at what is known as a designated port . If you are not located at a designated port you must contact your local branch of USF&W and arrange an inspection. At this point a document called a 3-177 will be completed. It is a declaration of import/export of wildlife. This must be done with all animals regardless of whether they are listed under the Washington Convention (CITES).
    It is also possible and fairly common to have animals shipped first to a designated port for inspection and clearance, before heading on to the consignee. This is done when the shipper or recipient in the US is not near a designated port. It can however, sometimes get complicated and expensive because a broker can be required to transfer the shipment and arrange for fish&wildlife inspection. This is especially true if different air carriers are involved since Airlines are not obliged to move your cargo, especially into the hands of a competitive Airline. So if you need to hire a broker this can mean that your animals are being put into the hands of a middle man who might very well hate herps(or love them and steal your shipment). It's a bit scary to have someone opening your animals in the middle of their journey to your customer.

    If the animals are CITES listed and are Appendix 2 you need to apply To the US department of the interior/F&W for a CITES export permit. This must then be stamped by a wildlife agent at the time of the inspection otherwise the permit is not valid...
    You will also now need (since I think bout 97) a US fish and wildlife IMPORT EXPORT license... you need to apply for it. It is $100.00us and is good for only one year. If you are not getting your inspection at a Designated port, but are using a border port you may also be required to apply for what's called an "Exception to Designated Port"permit. It's now also $100US bucks and is good for 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stockwell on RC
    or Canadians taking animals into or out of the USA
    If you are taking animals across the border in a car, you need to apply for and obtain this US fish and wildlife IMPORT EXPORT license... and yes also the exception from designated port permit if you have more than just a few animals.

    You must phone US F&W in advance and arrange for an inspection 48 hrs before you cross. An agent will be dispatched to the crossing of your choice(See the list of Border Ports) . You will be charged for the inspection. $55US standard, more if its CITES or outside of business hours.A 3-177 declaration will need to be presented at the time of the inspection. I recommend pre ordering this form from USF&W and filling them out ahead of time. It makes the wildlife agents happy and you are more likely to know the Scientific names, which must be shown on the declaration. It's also helpful to take a book with pictures to help verify the species.

    If you are taking a lot of stuff into the US for personal delivery or to fly out of an American airport it may be considered a commercial shipment and this will also require a Customs Broker...I use PBB. (Peace Bridge Brokers)

    Also, if you are taking CITES listed animals out of Canada you must first apply for and obtain a Canadian CITES Export permit. You will be required to prove legal origin to be granted this permit. Before crossing the border, you must first stop on the Canadian side and get Customs to validate it, otherwise it is not a legal CITES permit.
    Here is the website for the CITES

  3. #3
    BPnet Lifer muddoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thanked 1,603 Times in 616 Posts
    Images: 49

    Re: CITES Export Guide?

    I did want to make a comment on the scare of having a middle man. There is a place on the permit for the exact number of animals in the box, and what species they are. This is one of the most critical portions that is inspected (on all inspections). Therefore, when it is inspected upon departure, it is verified that the number of each species that is listed is checked. The same inspection is done at the final port. Therefore, if it had one stop, and there is something missing at the end of the travel, it would be easy to identify where it went missing, as there is a "chain of custody" that would be documented with anyone opening the package.

    I personnally don't have a huge fear of that.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    The Blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1