Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,268

2 members and 2,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

I think Dumbo has cancer :'(

My two big female rats are great girls. They have both given me a couple of wonderful litters and are really sweet. Although I'm not going to be breeding rats anymore, until my snake collection is larger and it makes more sense, I was going to keep my big girls because they have become much loved pets. I never thought I'd love a rat

A couple of weeks ago Dumbo got all stressed out (one day she was fine, the next whammo), and had swelling on one side of her face. I've nursed her back to health and the swelling is gone, but there was a lump under her wiskers on one side. It hasn't gone down at all. I've kept my handling to a minimum to keep from stressing her and she is with the white female rat (her name is blondie but I just call her white girl lol).

Today I noticed something pretty sad though- she has a lump the size of a marble on her chest (looks like a mammary tumor). This is really heart breaking, and quite shocking. Dumbo is a year old at the most, but probably younger! I know rats don't have long lives and a lot get cancer, but it still is a big surprise. I'm afraid I'll have to put her down soon, once she is in obvious discomfort. It seems to be spreading really fast...

I'm just glad that for now, she is her perky, fiesty self. I guess all I can do is give her as much love as possible and comfort her until the time to say good bye comes
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I think Dumbo has cancer :'(

Sorry to hear that! My first rat, Mrs. Snuggles developed a tumor and I took her in to my vet to be euthanized. To my surprise, he offered to remove it surgically (for $20) and she went on to live to be 3.5 years old.

Perhaps your vet can check her out and advise if he's able to remove it surgically?

Thanks

I'll ask my local vets.

Yesterday got even worse because after writing this I found that one of my gecko hatchlings had mysteriously passed too! I know it happens sometimes but come on
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,

Thanks

Sometimes those tumors are benign. However, thety can get very large and become very uncomfortable for them so I hope your vet can remove.

I am very sorry about your gecko. It does happen, but I know that never makes it any better.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

One of my girls has a large tumor on her side. It's almost golf-ball sized now as she's had it for many months. It is harmless, other than being in the way, so I've gone by the motto "if it's not hurting her then let it be." So far she has remained perky and playful. If I could have it removed for $20, I would definitely do it. I havent taken her to a vet yet because I was certain it would be WAY more than that. I'll have to call around now.

Thanks

I talked to a vet and got some good news!

It was abcesses and not cancer (which explains the speed of the lumps growth), they have been drained and are healing up well

When I see lumps the first thing I think is cancer for a rodent, and now I just feel silly
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis

Ball pythons

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Good news, pet rats are awesome.
    Starting with good genetics as with any pet is recommended, but some feeder rodents go on to make great pets too, so whose to say.
    It does seem that feeder rats carry tumors more than rattery rats, but alot of that is selective breeding through generations I'd imagine.
    I breed several lines of rats including dwarf rats, and have been very lucky to not have any tumor/cancer issues in my rats.
    Hopefully they give you plenty of enjoyment in the time you have with them
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Great news! Very happy to hear.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW