Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

1 members and 2,866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Treatment Duration!

Hi Guys,
    First off thanks for all the advice and info from everyone. My vet is really a great guy willing to work with me listens to me, and this is why I use him. We both found 2 different methods for BP R/I treatment one being everyday for 14 days and the other being every other day for 28 days. What do you guys do? I was following the everyother day regime, but I just want to makesure that that is effective.
    Thanks,
    Mike Kelly
    Mike
    P.S. - Just remember "This ain't no dress rehearsal !!!"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Treatment Duration!

Hi,

Couple of questions.

Did he do a culture before beginning treatment?

What did he prescribe?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

My vet did a culture and prescribed every other day for 14 shots.....she is better but I have one shot left and I can still hear it in there. It is tough for me to tell which would be better since I am new to shots and would venture a guess that at least 3 of the shots i gave were too superficial and wasted

I have a feeling she will have to go back next week.
    Troy Van Orman/Kysenia www.prairielandpythons.com(daily blog and updates!)tavopt@prairierehab.com

Thanks

My vet told me to give a shot once a day for two weeks, and during that time to not feed. My Kingsnake doesn't have RI any longer, so I'm pretty glad.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Dr. Del has good questions -- did the vet do a culture and what is the antibiotic prescribed?

I use ceftazidime 20 mg/kg IM every 3 days until I get culture results back, then adjust antibiotics depending on the results. Vets that do not see a lot of exotics may not have this antibiotic on hand, however.
    Would you breed a wobbler dog even though it had a cool coat?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dr. Scott Stahl, regarded as the leading reptile vet in the country, if not the world, recommends no SHORTER than a 30 day treatment and sometimes longer. Just because the symptoms are gone, doesn't mean that the illness is gone.

I've listened to his episode on Reptile Radio at least 5 times now, and I think it's one of the best shows they've done.

He specifically addresses respiratory infections and my veterinarian has listened to the episode in order to further his own education on the treatment of snakes and RI's.
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/reptile...ile-Veterinary

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Kysenia (10-27-2009)

Thanks

I've talked to him

No Culture and prescribed Baytril

I recommended the every other day to him through PM

A Culture and Sensitivity test should always be the first protocol.

I believe he is aware the Baytril is a "shot in the dark" as to whether or not the Baytril will knock the RI out.

A lot of vets swear by it, due to ignorance or over confidence I don"t know.

But not every RI is created equal, and therefore shouldn't be treated as the last one they dealt with.

This misuse of drugs leads to VERY drug resistant bacteria that only make treating the problem more difficult or even resistant.

e.g. Penicillin was once a wonder drug, now look at how often it's used due to bacteria resistance.

CULTURE PEOPLE!!!
    Last edited by 2kdime; 10-24-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks

I would put my money on ignorance.

Baytril can cause muscle necrosis, so it's best to give subcutaneously and to dilute the dose with saline before injection. Also why I don't use it as a first-line treatment. 10 mg/kg every 48 hrs is the standard dose, but of course is pointless if the bug is resistant. Usually recommend a 20 day treatment, but perhaps I should listen to Dr. Stahl's radio show and see why he recommends 30.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CritterVet View Post
    Dr. Del has good questions -- did the vet do a culture and what is the antibiotic prescribed?

I use ceftazidime 20 mg/kg IM every 3 days until I get culture results back, then adjust antibiotics depending on the results. Vets that do not see a lot of exotics may not have this antibiotic on hand, however.
    My vet only does the every 3 day dose for a total of 3 doses to lower the chances of necrosis. Ive only had 2 snakes treated that way so far and no problems have come of it. BUT im definately going to aks him about this other drug you brought up. My exotics vet has seen many many exotics and is known as the best in my area but if there may be something he doesnt know or tried, im all for expanding his learning.

Thanks

What is most important is that the vet do a culture & sensitivity. The sensitivity results will dictate which antibiotic is the best to use in a given case. If the snake is showing signs of a respiratory infection, I'd do a tracheal wash for a culture sample and start the snake on ceftazidime while I wait for the culture & sensitivity results to come back. Ceftazidime is broad spectrum and safer than Baytril (IMO), that's why I use it as a "first line" antibiotic. If the culture results came back and showed the infection to be resistant to ceftazidime but susceptible to Baytril, I would switch the snake to Baytril at that point.

Keep in mind that respiratory infections, indeed most infections in captive reptiles, are related to husbandry conditions. An otherwise healthy, properly kept reptile should not get a respiratory infection. If multiple snakes in a collection are getting RIs, it's time to really analyze the husbandry and figure out what needs to be tweaked.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CritterVet For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (10-26-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast