Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,176

1 members and 3,175 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

A few honest questions that need to be answered.

You breed ball pythons. You want to sell your babies. You sign up for a reptile show.

Why is it not the responsibility of the company putting on the show to clearly mention upfront and verify what licenses are necessary for the vendor to hold, in the state the show is in?

Why would the company putting on the show want vendors that are NOT properly licensed? when the vendors get caught (and they always will) doesn't it hurt the industry as a whole? Doesn't it hurt the show?

This is all new to me, but after talking to some of the industry leaders, this is a serious widespread problem that people need to be aware of.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: A few honest questions that need to be answered.

I am the first to say that it is my responsibility to make sure my bases are covered. After all it is me that will get hammered if I'm wrong not someone else. This is one of the problems we have in this country as a whole. Not enough people willing to be acountable for their own stuff. Having said all that i must say that it would "I believe" be in the best interest of the show host to make people aware of all of the requirements "licenses, permits etc, and make it easy as possible to obtain them" so that people will have a successful time and want to, not only return, but also promote the show based on their good experience. So I think that while it isn't their responsibility, I believe it is smart business to do so.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tonkatoyman For This Useful Post:

NorthernRegius (10-24-2009)

Thanks

Are you talking about species like eastern indigos that require permits and crocs and venomous that require permits or licenses on a state by state basis, or are there permits or licenses required to sell common non-native species in some states?

I think, for the former, the individual should be on top of it, but I agree that it would be smart for shows to inform and work with the individuals to make sure everyone has everything that's required. Running a show that has vendors breaking laws would look very bad for the show, and bad for the hobby as a whole. For the latter, I don't know of any permits required for animals that I didn't list, so the shows' promoters should make sure that every vendor knows what is required, and also be able to assist in the processes. Putting on a successful show requires more than just renting a space with tables and telling potential vendors and the public that there is going to be a reptile show.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

In Florida you have to have a permit to sell, another to own and probably one just to look in the near future.

They are hard core on permits there.

Bummer you didn't know before hand Mike, but this is not new. It's been a lot of years since I did a Florida show but even back then this system was in place.

Are you sure you read all the fine print on the application?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because it is YOUR responsibility to do your own research, just like YOU are responsible to make sure that the species YOU own is legal where YOU live, just like YOU are responsible to do research on husbandry before YOU get an animal.

Nobody is gonna do it for YOU it is YOUR responsibility as an owner, keeper, or seller to do your own research.

I did my research and I know that if I want to sell in a show in GA I must have a permit.

Additionally if you are talking about the repticon show in FL they made it pretty clear

Florida Rules & Information

Florida Vendors require a Class III permit. Permit application and all other info can be found at :

http://www.floridaconservation.org/permits/

or contact Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, for Licensing and Permitting - 850-488-6253

For USDA, Main office # - 919-855-7100, fax: 919-855-7100

Florida now has restrictions on certain"Reptiles of Concern." Please contact Fish & Wildlife or click here for more information.
    http://www.repticon.com/florida.html
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-23-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I think it's the seller's responsibility to make sure they are legal to sell, and what species etc etc. It's nice that shows normally seem to put up a note or information about what permits are required, but the seller should assume that they need to research what they need to be doing to be legal in that state, at that show, and with what species.

Besides.. a show can't exactly list out all the things you CAN'T do.. it's better for sellers to do their own legwork. A chameleon seller should have no reason to research what species of tortoise are legal, for instance. Unless the show puts out a huge booklet with all relevant rules, laws, and prohibitions, they might not cover everything, and then they could be liable, because a seller could say "Oh.. well YOUR book didn't say I needed a permit to sell PurplePeopleEaters in NewYorkCity."
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "