Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,983

0 members and 2,983 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copperhead

Thanks

Copperhead

Hey there guys. So last night I got a call from a friend of mine saying essentially that he had found a baby Copperhead right outside of his house. He put a tupperware container over it and called animal services, who, when they came out stated that they couldn't do anything and to just let it go. Now he lives in a neighborhood full of young kids so he, and myself, were not too keen on that idea. So now I have a baby Copperhead sitting in a spare 30 gallon tank beside me. My decision boils down to whether or not I hold on to this little one till sunday when I'm heading out towards the boonies to the gf's parents house to let it go in a more rural area where kids are less likely to be bit, or to keep the wee one. Regardless I want to provide proper husbandry for it till that point. So, at the moment it's in a spare 30 gallon with newspaper as a bedding, a rather large water bowl, and a hide, with a heat lamp on top of the tank. Is this okay for a few days or should I change things around? Also let me say that I have no intention of handling this snake either over the next few days or really ever. Were I to keep it it would be solely for watching with interest. Thanks guys.

Ben

Thanks

Re: Copperhead

I never really saw the point of keeping a snake you had to be of afraid of biting you and killing you.

Though some venomous snakes are some of the most beautiful!

Besides that fact, I think it'd be best to just release it in the rural area and let it be on its way.

Good for you for thinking to remove it from a potentially dangerous area.

Thanks

Should be fine til sunday. Be careful!

Thanks

i agree with trevor. release it in a rual area. i would do it sooner than later. i would be worried about it getting out of a 30 gal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

2kdime (10-22-2009)

Thanks

To be honest I doubt this fella could get out. When I say baby I mean like under ten inches. I have no objects for it to use to get higher really, although I do know some snakes have an interesting penchant for getting nearly to the top using corners. I have latches on all four sides of the lid, plus rather heavy books on all four corners. The lid as well has no give. More my concern is that I live in Raleigh which is a city and I refuse to release, or allow a hot to be in an area where small children play. I think I will probably hold onto it until sunday then let it go in a more suitable location. The annoying part is that I've been wanting to get into hots at some point and one dropped into my lap when I'm not really all that ready. Plus he's f'ing beautiful.

Thanks

Id release him but thats just my opinion Ive never really been one to go out and catch snakes and bring them home. I was always worried they would have something that my other snakes could get and Im sure they are happier out there then in a cage in my room lol You could try to offer him some food though that way he could at least get a good meal in him before he went back in the woods to hunt. Copperheads are great snakes I love them and think there are just gorgeous. I could stare at my little girl for hours

Thanks

So while I have this wee one I figure I might as well take some pictures and share them:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...3&userid=13692

Thanks

Trans location of pitvipers is largely unsuccessful and will most likely lead to death.
    Your best bet is to just keep it, give it to someone who keeps hots and wants a copperhead.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I love copperheads, I hesitate only a little bit in naming it my favorite snake of all time simply because there are so many awesome snakes out there.

Look at your outside temps. It's winter, cooling down, I'm sure your snake will be more than happy even without heat for a few days. They are a hardy north american species and deal with a wide variety of temps, humidity, and structure to live around.

Give the guy something to hide in (even just crumpled up paper towels) and release him.

If you decide to keep him (believe me, it would cross my mind), keep us updated with pics You have no idea how jealous I am.

Thanks

From those pictures I put on here let me know what you think of it, health wise that is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast