Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,039

0 members and 3,039 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: The Candyball revealed to BP.net

What's funny about the whole "Third Person" thing for me is that I have a friend that constantly refers to himself in the third person... In real life, not for giggles but actually refers to himself as if he's a seperate entity and at times its rubbed off on me and I caught myself doing it too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haydenphoto View Post
    Lets be honest what would you have done ! I really don't think to many people would of QT'ed this snake if they had it !
    FWIW, I quarantine all new snakes. I know many others that do as well.

-Lawrence

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xdeus For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (10-20-2009)

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

*sigh*

This third person now that people want to be like Big Gunns is going to get real old real fast..

You see that, Neil?

Often imitated, never duplicated...
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (10-20-2009),JLC (10-20-2009),nixer (10-20-2009),rabernet (10-20-2009),Royal Morphz (10-20-2009),scutechute (10-20-2009),Turbo Serpent (10-20-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Lets be honest what would you have done ! I really don't think to many people would of QT'ed this snake if they had it !
    Me? I don't know. I would think I would QT it, but I didn't spend the $ BG and Pete Kahl did to bring the animal in.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It looks to me in the breeding pic that it has black speckles like the adult banana or is that just dirt?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRegius View Post
    Neil, if you get these guys all talking in the 3rd person... there's a special hell for the instigator.

Why don't you mention the IMPORTANT thing that's not in with that WC & female? No water dish while cycling- old trick used by several breeders as extra precaution.

Heck of a stunning snake, 'bout time you posted pics!
    Good catch. Big Gunns had forgot all about that.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    Twisted likes the pics! Twisted never really quarantines either. Twisted picked his snakes up from people that have valued collections anyway. If Twisted had that much oney into it I would putting that male in with all his buddies snakes also!
    You bet your twisted tail you would. Glad you're man/woman(still don't know) to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Fat Boy likes the candy ball too...looks awesome. Fat Boy has not heard of the water dish removal. He was wondering if this is just for precaution of passing "germs" or if in some way it promotes a breeding response?

HMMMMMM, it's definitely for the first, but some top breeders will tell you that Ball Pythons breed better when dried out a leeetle.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLB OKC View Post
    too sweet for a loser
    "Loser" coming from someone from OKC....now that's kinda ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    BD thinks this thread has great and is hilarious.

Hopefully Neil will show BD more pictures soon.
    Only if everyone begs and admits how much they really wish they were Big Gunns.

No they would not have, especially if they had Big Gunns experience with snakes and knew that most likely there would be no problem....and there was not.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRegius View Post
    Life is risk, sometimes risks are taken... Neil gambled & took a risk.
    That's where you're wrong. The bigger gamble would have been to QT. BG will explain at the end of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by PaseQB View Post
    What's funny about the whole "Third Person" thing for me is that I have a friend that constantly refers to himself in the third person... In real life, not for giggles but actually refers to himself as if he's a seperate entity and at times its rubbed off on me and I caught myself doing it too.
    Has this person ever been to a reptile show or gym in the north or southeast....that would explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    FWIW, I quarantine all new snakes. I know many others that do as well.
    So does Big Gunns, but this was an extra special case.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    *sigh*

This third person now that people want to be like Big Gunns is going to get real old real fast..

You see that, Neil?

Often imitated, never duplicated...
    So true...the people that hate BG the most would do anything to be him. Not sure why though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    Big gunns like the attitude..! and the animals!
    Of course you do...with a name like "anarchy" you are someone with confidence in yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-reptiles View Post
    gotta love the first pic!, the ''candyball'''is really something special big gunns
    wish i had one in my rack!!.....or two!.....
    They will be available next year. Just drop The Man, The Myth, The Legend in his own mind an e-mail. Don't do it unless your bank account is fat though.

Quote Originally Posted by azpythons View Post
    AP Likes that. Last Time AP saw candy he was at the store. AP likes that candy way more. AP also thinks quarantines overrated. to a point. AP quarantines..maybe not as long as most would say AP should though.
    Well AP should always quarantine...unless it's a special case like BG had.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    Twisted is pretty sure that it is for the transmission of "herpes"; WC snakes are sometimes permiscuous and carry STDs. Ralph Davis talks about it also.
    Big Gunns is really surprised that is old buddy chub rock(now ripped rock) is talking about such a personal problem like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Fat Boy understands, he has a WC female that was real loose before FB got her!!
    Did that female ever spend time in NJ...that would explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Me? I don't know. I would think I would QT it, but I didn't spend the $ BG and Pete Kahl did to bring the animal in.
    AHHHH...another common mistake people make. Pete did not spend one nickel to bring this snake in. The snake was BG's for months before Pete had anything to do with it. Big Gunns did all the breeding the first year.

Big Gunns can prove that he made the right decision also(well kinda). The Toffee came in about 6 months before the Candy. It was treated, quarantined, and stayed at the importers for 6 months before it could be shipped to The Urban Python(needed cites). It was shipped to them about the same time the Candy came in(breeding season). They received it and put it into breeding. It didn't breed anything that first year according to Craig. This was Big Gunns biggest fear. Many WC males NEVER breed. Only a complete total idiot would wait and QT this animal.

Anyway...it's not like BG introduced it to his whole collection. It was only a few females....and it paid off BIG TIME!!!!!!!

You have to walk in someones flip flops before you can truly make a decision on what you would do. Big Gunns would never EVER eat a rat...but they do on the show Survivor. Big Gunns would NEVER EVER eat a person, but those people in that plane crash did. You can Never judge until you're in the same position.
    Last edited by Big Gunns; 10-20-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Big Gunns can prove that he made the right decision also(well kinda). The Toffee came in about 6 months before the Candy. It was treated, quarantined, and stayed at the importers for 6 months before it could be shipped to The Urban Python(needed cites). It was shipped to them about the same time the Candy came in(breeding season). They received it and put it into breeding. It didn't breed anything that first year according to Craig. This was Big Gunns biggest fear. Many WC males NEVER breed. Only a complete total idiot would wait and QT this animal.

Anyway...it's not like BG introduced it to his whole collection. It was only a few females....and it paid off BIG TIME!!!!!!!

You have to walk in someones flip flops before you can truly make a decision on what you would do. Big Gunns would never EVER eat a rat...but they do on the show Survivor. Big Gunns would NEVER EVER eat a person, but those people in that plane crash did. You can Never judge until you're in the same position.
    Yep so you took a calculated RISK & cycled a few girls with him, not like you exposed your whole collection. A smart cookie like you would have the whole breeding group well separated from the rest of his snakes.

I still say QT is Standard Operating Procedure. But I would have done EXACTLY what you did with the Candy male, Neil. Better to risk expanding those genes than not & either he doesn't breed or (God forbid) something happens to him.
    All the Best,
    Deb @ www.NorthernRegius.com

Thanks

BG, could you please tell BG that I appreciate his explanation about the whole QT situation. It seems a lot of aspiring breeders look for shortcuts and saw that picture and out-of-context explanation as a good example where they can cut corners. Thanks for taking the time to explain the entire process/situation.

-Lawrence

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thank you for all of this !

I would have probably done the samething if I had the money. Not quarantine an animal, but quarantine a group that will be in contact with it.

Getting it to breed now was a wise decision, who know if he will still want to breed the next years to come.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Like that would be something new.

The Candyman is still alive and kicking and so is every female he ever had his way with. It was just waaaayy to big a risk to quarantine it right away.$$$$$$$$$$(you'd understand if it was you).
    That's all it is with you anyways isn't it Bigg Gumms? Oh yeah that and flappin your jaw.
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast