Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,348

0 members and 1,348 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Humidity

Thanks

Humidity

Hey guys,

I have my BP in a 40feeder for some time now. Tank and BP are doing great,
    I have the top of cage done with tinfoil to hold heat and humidity. Was able to keep it stable around 50%(when not in shed stage) with no problems.

since the winter months are approaching i added 1/2 insulation board on 3 sides of the tank. and now my humidity is crazy low (30%) and hard to keep at a constant level. Obviously this has to do with the insulation, any ideas what i can do?

Thanks

Re: Humidity

I don't think the insulation should effect your humidity. Usually its the ambient humidity of the room that dictates what your humidity levels in the tank are going to be.

If you're using a heat lamp this will suck up a lot of the humidity in the tank. You could stop using it and modify the set up to work with just a UTH alone.

If you're not using a lamp there are a few things you can do.

A. Mist the tank routinely to maintain humidity. Just be careful to not mist too much to the point where you have damp substrate.

B. Creating a humid hide in the tank for the snake to search out when he needs. Most people use moss in a plastic tupperware with a hole cut into the top of the lid.

C. Use a humidifier in the area the tank is in in an attempt to bring the over humidity up in that area of the room.
    Last edited by Spaniard; 10-16-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    C. Use a humidifier in the area the tank is in in an attempt to bring the over humidity up in that area of the room.
    You can buy room humidifiers from just about every drug or department store for $40-80 -- are these suitable for something like that? I don't know if you could run them 24/7, I don't guess it would be a problem as long as you kept the tank full.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
    You can buy room humidifiers from just about every drug or department store for $40-80 -- are these suitable for something like that? I don't know if you could run them 24/7, I don't guess it would be a problem as long as you kept the tank full.
    The one I was thinking of has a built in humidistat, not sure of the price range on this but providing it has a humidistat it would not be running 24/7 only when necessary to hit the set humidity.

Something like this, not sure if this is a good one but just as an example.
    http://www.air-n-water.com/product/evaporative.htm
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I don't think the insulation should effect your humidity. Usually its the ambient humidity of the room that dictates what your humidity levels in the tank are going to be.

If you're using a heat lamp this will suck up a lot of the humidity in the tank. You could stop using it and modify the set up to work with just a UTH alone.

If you're not using a lamp there are a few things you can do.

A. Mist the tank routinely to maintain humidity. Just be careful to not mist too much to the point where you have damp substrate.

B. Creating a humid hide in the tank for the snake to search out when he needs. Most people use moss in a plastic tupperware with a hole cut into the top of the lid.

I do have a heat lamp but i had no problems with humidity before the insulation, i just put the insulation on yesterday and all day today i have had to mist like every 2 hrs.

A. Before putting on the insulation thats what i did, misted it about 2-3 times a day and it kept really constant at about 50% humidity.

B. Ok well i do have a humid hide for her, with moss in it and she goes in there whenever

C. I tried a room humidifier but it was hard more "me" to live in, made my whole apartment muggy.