Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,902

2 members and 3,900 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: What method of stuck shed removal do you use or agree with?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soaking in a sealed tub with air holes

28 53.85%
  • Soaking in an open tub

9 17.31%
  • Damp pillowcase

6 11.54%
  • Damp towel

6 11.54%
  • No method: just let the snake deal with it.

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Removing stuck-shed: Methods and the dangers

I got into a discussion on Iherp answers about how to remove stuck shed from snakes.

I have always believed that a damp pillowcase for 15-20 minutes is the safest and most successful.

A few people on there then began to reveal their horror stories about how many snakes they have killed from trying to get stuck shed off in a pillowcase.

Now I had never heard of this death by pillowcase but I have heard of death by tub soaking.

I have never soaked my ball pythons. I have only once had an issue with stuck shed and putting them in a damp snake bag worked very well.

Now that I am hearing all these horror stories it has got me thinking, what can I really do to get rid of stuck shed quickly that has no risk to my snake? Well I could use a damp towel but that doesn't really up the humidity and mostly just helps to roll off loose pieces.

Then it came to me after I made some clarifications with these snakes suffocating in pillowcases. Apparently they just left them in the wet pillowcase OVERNIGHT. That to me seems pretty irresponsible. Then I thought about how the snakes in the tubs of water died, irresponsible owners leaving the snake along in a sealed container of water.

So it isn't the method that is the problem, it is the carelessness of the owner. Yet people still seem to blame the methods.

So for this topic of discussion, what method of shed removal do you recommend and what do you think about the other methods?

If you have any stories of snakes dying during one of these processes, and under what circumstances, I would like to hear them.

Maybe we can think of some new magical method that works just as well as the more "dangerous" ones.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Re: Removing stuck-shed: Methods and the dangers

I soak mine in a tub and remove the shed by hand after about 10-15 mins. IMO if you killed your ball python by soaking it, you did not pay attention to it while it was soaking. I could see how the pillow case could suffocate a snake and would not do it personally. What it comes down to is paying attention to your animals when YOU put them in a situation that could hurt them. Would you let you child bathe without watching them??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

The one and only time I have ever needed to do this, I used a sealed tub with air holes and very little water, so the snake did not have to "swim", with lukewarm water placed in a warm room (inside the cage is good as well). After some time, I was able to assist in removing the stuck shed by handling the snake with a damp rag.

There were no stuck eyecaps, which I feel the damp pillowcase is best for.

Always keep an eye on your snake with either method, these are not "set it up and go away for a while" treatments.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 10-16-2009 at 01:56 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-12-2016)

Thanks

Usually its during the winter months that I run into a few stuck sheds until I tweak the amount of holes I need to tape up from summer time.

I use a large Tupperware type tub with holes that I melted into the lid. I then put a very small amount of water and a small wash cloth in it. The wash cloth absorbs most of the water and gives the snake something to cling onto. Mostly it helps me feel better that the snake isn't going to accidentally drown.

I put the entire tub in the home enclosure right in the middle of the temp gradient. I usually leave them there for 20-30 minutes depending on where the stuck shed is.

What happens with pillow cases is that the thread fibers expand when wet and could potentially create an air tight environment, which could cause suffocation. Generally its recommended that you use something with a very low thread count if your going to go this route.

I like using the tub with the wash cloth because it creates a nice little sauna for the snake and I can walk away from the tub without worrying about any drowning incidents.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spaniard For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-12-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I like using the tub with the wash cloth because it creates a nice little sauna for the snake and I can walk away from the tub without worrying about any drowning incidents.
    The Wash cloth would also provide soft scrubbing fingers to help with removal. That is a good idea

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post
    The Wash cloth would also provide soft scrubbing fingers to help with removal. That is a good idea
    What would a day at the Spa be without some soft scrubbing fingers?
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

If its a larger suck shed, then I put an inch or two of warm water in a tub with airholes, and let them soak in it for ~20 minutes. Then I remove any skin. If some pieces are stubborn or have dried out, then I resoak them, unless they're getting pissy then I do it again the next day and let them chill out.

However, if its just a small piece, then I'll just dab it with a wash cloth soaked in warm water. No need to soak them in a tub for a small piece.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I use skin lotion with no fragrance on stuck sheds and eyecaps. I will also soak snakes in tub with water no deeper than halfway up the side of animal. I dont soak the snake with the lotion on it as it will just wash off. I have also made humid hides with damp moss.

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

i actually just had to do this with our male mojave last night.

what we usually do it put about an inch or so (depending on the size of the snake) of water in the bathtub, and let the snake swim around. it's great exercise, and really helps with the stuck shed. after about 10-15 minutes, we take the snake, and a damp towel, and run the snake through our hands. the skin really just rolls off nicely this way.

OBVIOUSLY we don't just leave them swimming around in the bathtub and walk away, i sit on the side of the tub and watch, 100% of the time. not only to prevent drowning, but also to prevent escape.

i've never tried the pillowcase thing, because i don't have any extra pillowcases laying around. but i kind of like the bathtub method because it's good exercise, works well, AND i like to take pictures of them swimming!

Thanks

When I first acquired Anubis (my normal male), he went into shed a few days later. I knew right away that it was going to be a difficult shed. It began coming off in pieces and strips. So, on the advice of my breeder friend, I got a plastic tub and filled it with about an inch or two of lukewarm water. I then soaked Anubis for fifteen minutes, fully supervised. I panicked every time his head went under the water, so I kept pulling him back up and rubbing his head gently. After I soaked him, I was told to take a warm, damp towel and wrap him up in it, allow him to sit for another five minutes and then encourage him to slip and slide through my hands while I used the towel against his skin. Like a charm it came right off, no problems at all. Even his spectacles came off cleanly. So that is now what I do with all of mine, even my Corns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast