Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

0 members and 2,936 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Getting a city regulation changed?

As some of you might know, ALL pythons & boas are illegal within the city of San Francisco... http://www.municode.com/library/HTML/14136/ch001.html. Colubrids are legal, however, which is ironic since BPs and Rosy Boas (for example) aren't much bigger than some of them. I was wondering if it's worth mentioning these (and other) inconsistencies to the city, even though it's not a widely-enforced regulation? Fyi, boas/pythons are legal in the surrounding counties, even Oakland & San Jose which have larger or equal populations to SF - not quite as congested, but just as urban in parts.

Would this be worth pursuing, and if so, how would you all suggest approaching the situation? Don't want to bring unwanted attention to anyone, but this just seems like the type of law that's never been challenged. San Francisco officials are usually quite receptive to change, and typically prefer not to "stir the pot" - therefore I could actually have some luck in convincing them. Any thoughts? I do plan to discuss this with my attorney sister, but she's a little busy being 8 months pregnant with a toddler and full-time (extremely demanding) job. So it might be a while before I can bother her with this, LOL. I could also discuss it with CRIS, the California Reptile & Invertebrate Society, but would like to prepare my approach first.

Also, what do you think the rules would be concerning using them for educational purposes? I work in a high school, and was thinking of using them in a program... but since the school is located in SF, I might be limited to introducing a corn snake and leopard gecko. Yippee. Could I possibly get a special permit to keep them in the classroom? I know they allow one-time programs with reptiles, since we had one when I worked for SF Public Library, but wasn't sure about keeping them at school. TIA for any advice!
    Last edited by Lolo76; 10-13-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Getting a city regulation changed?

To be honest I think it's worth pursuing getting the city council to change the regs. There was a well-publicized story on the news of a young kid who was around 10 years old and got his city to un-ban hedgehogs. I don't know if it would be easy to get in touch with him and his family to see how they did it, but it's been done by people with their only resources being a computer and a couple brains, and the time to talk to the city council.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (10-13-2009)

Thanks

Thanks! Since I actually work for the city, I'm hoping that will give me some pull... definitely going to look into this.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    Thanks! Since I actually work for the city, I'm hoping that will give me some pull...
    or an unemployment check

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (10-13-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    or an unemployment check
    Not possible, for a number of reasons...
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

I was pretty amused, that there were signs for a herp show in SF when we arrived.. And snakes are banned? Wow!

I hope that you're successful, if you try to get them to repeal it. I am not in the city itself, but if you want me to write anything up for you or sign anything, I am all for it.

And if they're banned in SF, it is not a far cry from there, to my town..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    I was pretty amused, that there were signs for a herp show in SF when we arrived.. And snakes are banned? Wow!
    Yeah, they got away with that by holding it at the Cow Palace - which is just over the border in San Mateo County (Daly City). It was a small show, I guess because of the regulations, but that's actually where I found my beloved Toby.

I hope that you're successful, if you try to get them to repeal it. I am not in the city itself, but if you want me to write anything up for you or sign anything, I am all for it.

And if they're banned in SF, it is not a far cry from there, to my town..
    Exactly. And as your signature says, we have other silly animal bans around here... although supposedly the ban on ferrets, hedgehogs & ASFs has to do with our environment, and how it's "too close" to their natural habitats. I guess they're afraid we'll be overrun with the critters - I actually think that would be cool to see wild ferrets & hedgehogs running around, LOL. Anyway, I'll definitely let you know if I need help/support!
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Does anyone have more advice on getting this process started? I have recently introduced snakes into my classroom (where I work), and the kids are interested in helping with this legislation issue. Right now I can only bring in the corn snakes, and they're already asking to meet my pythons! If not by changing the actual laws here, I'd at least like to get a special educator's permit. I would just call the city directly, but trying to find out the steps first - so I don't shoot myself in the foot, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 12-03-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

I just recently moved to SF and didn't even realize this was the case. From what I can see this is some old forgotten law that went into effect in the 70's? There is no way I'm getting rid of my collection because of this. I'll keep it on the dl for now

But seriously, I think the way to go about this is attending city council meetings, and raising awareness outside of our small echo chamber of a community.
    http://www.dtors.org
    1.0.0 Eunectes murinus (Green Anaconda)
    0.1.0 Morelia viridis (GTP Manokwari Local)
    2.1.0 Python curtus brongersmai (Blood Python)
    2.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
    0.0.1 Ahaetulla prasina (Asian Vine Snake)
    1.1.0 Hydrodynastes gigas (False Water Cobra)
    1.1.0 Crotalus atrox (T+ & T- Albino Western Diamondback Rattlesnake)
    0.0.2 Crotalus oreganus (Northern Pacific Rattlesnake)
    0.2.1 Crotalus cerastes cerastes (Mojave Sidewinder)